Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:24 AM   #1
vinny.
macrumors newbie

No Audio

I have a 2007 Mac pro,
2x dual core xeon, lion 10.7, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB, 24gb ram, 250gb ssd, 3tb sata hdd.

I have had no audio now for a few weeks, it first happened when I tried updating my graphics card to a gtx 560 graphics card, so I thought this was the problem, so I downgraded back to the GeForce 7300 GT and reinstalled lion 10.7, (before that I had updated to 10.7.5, many people also complained about no audio with this update), so I reinstalled lion to 10.7 hoping this might fix it, but it doesn't. I have reinstalled to factory settings, resetted pram settings, resetting smc settings, tried booting in safe mode, I have repaired disk permissions, I have verified disk permissions, on all disks. I don't know what else to do.

headphones dont work, built in audio doesnt work, external speakers don't work.

my computer works fine in every other way, but the audio won't work.

Has anyone got any ideas?
vinny. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:48 AM   #2
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Does a device plugged into the headphone jack at the front of the tower get detected as headphones in system preferences?
All Taken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:34 AM   #3
vinny.
macrumors newbie

no nothing gets detected, it only happened when updating to 10.7.5 the first time, but now I have reinstalled lion to 10.7 and still no change.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:11 AM   #4
666sheep
macrumors 68030

Reset PRAM should help if it isn't hardware issue. If it didn't... you can try to hold keys until third reboot.
666sheep is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:17 AM   #5
shoulin333
macrumors 6502a

with ML did you check the audio sound output device? maybe it was defaulting to AirPlay?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-14 at 6.15.07 AM.png
Views:	4
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	390209  
shoulin333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:13 AM   #6
vinny.
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoulin333 View Post
with ML did you check the audio sound output device? maybe it was defaulting to AirPlay?
I already said it does not detect any sound device, internal or external, so there is no airplay or speaker or headphone or anything..

I don't have mountain lion, mountain lion is not compatible with my computer, i have lion 10.7.

(attached is pic of what it looks like in system pref)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sound.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	390414  
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:18 AM   #7
vinny.
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666sheep View Post
Reset PRAM should help if it isn't hardware issue. If it didn't... you can try to hold keys until third reboot.
I have tried this a few times, its doesn't change anything. Maybe its hardware issue, but it was working fine before I updated lion the first time. seems a bit of a coincidence.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:53 AM   #8
666sheep
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny. View Post
I have reinstalled to factory settings
Do you mean 10.4?
666sheep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:58 PM   #9
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
I have tried this a few times, its doesn't change anything. Maybe its hardware issue, but it was working fine before I updated lion the first time. seems a bit of a coincidence.
It's funny on 10.6 I was getting cutout I upgraded to 10.7 und alles normal
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:43 PM   #10
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Quote:
I have a 2007 Mac pro,
2x dual core xeon, lion 10.7, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB, 24gb ram, 250gb ssd, 3tb sata hdd.

I have had no audio now for a few weeks, it first happened when I tried updating my graphics card to a gtx 560 graphics card, so I thought this was the problem, so I downgraded back to the GeForce 7300 GT and reinstalled lion 10.7, (before that I had updated to 10.7.5, many people also complained about no audio with this update), so I reinstalled lion to 10.7 hoping this might fix it, but it doesn't. I have reinstalled to factory settings, resetted pram settings, resetting smc settings, tried booting in safe mode, I have repaired disk permissions, I have verified disk permissions, on all disks. I don't know what else to do.

headphones dont work, built in audio doesnt work, external speakers don't work.

my computer works fine in every other way, but the audio won't work.

Has anyone got any ideas?
As already mentioned. Reset the PRAM. I had the same issue and pram reset fixed it. Actually had the problem a few times and the pram reset gets the audio back.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:32 PM   #11
vinny.
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
As already mentioned. Reset the PRAM. I had the same issue and pram reset fixed it. Actually had the problem a few times and the pram reset gets the audio back.
As I have already said a bunch of times, I have tried this, quite a few times, 2 x chimes and 3 x chimes and 4 x chimes, but nothing worked.

I finally got an answer from someone who's a friend of a friend and makes hackintosh's, he told me to delete the all hd extension plugins in library - system - extensions, and for some reason it worked, even though before this I did an erase and install, I guess there is something wrong with the extensions in lion or something.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro