Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:54 PM   #26
djbobbless
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by djstile View Post
How is the grip on the case? Slippery or more of a matte/rubberized grip?
Very matte/rubberized grip but not difficult to take out of the pocket. I feel like it would never slip out of my hands.
djbobbless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:58 PM   #27
pinkoos
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbobbless View Post
Very matte/rubberized grip but not difficult to take out of the pocket. I feel like it would never slip out of my hands.
What about the lack of "dimples" on the sides of the case? The case for the 4/4S had those dimples and I thought it was a great feature.
pinkoos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:02 PM   #28
djbobbless
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkoos View Post
What about the lack of "dimples" on the sides of the case? The case for the 4/4S had those dimples and I thought it was a great feature.
The dimples is one thing I do miss off the 4/4s version. What's interesting with the ion 5 case although is it fits perfect in my hand. I'm pretty impressed with the case, I am just waiting on a reply in regards of the volume button issue that I mentioned earlier. The carbon fiber backplate isn't completely slippery although you will distinguish a difference between the tpu and the carbon fiber of course. I'm not sure if that's how I felt with the previous gen case.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:04 PM   #29
pinkoos
macrumors regular

Ok. Cool. Thanks for the reply.
pinkoos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:00 AM   #30
Jon347
macrumors member

I received my case today and it feels great and also works well with the bodyguardz pure glass screen protector.
Jon347 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:57 AM   #31
ediamond
macrumors newbie

Button issue? Here is the fix

When they molded the button, the bottom plate that the button rests on is a tiny bit too thick and the molding seam makes it too thick to accomodate the buttons. The result is that the whole left side of the case seems to bow ever so slightly and pressure on the side of the case will activate the buttons. Fortunately the fix is easy and takes less than a minute.
  1. Pop the side button module out of the Ion 5 case.
  2. Get some fine sandpaper 400-600 grit will do fine. You can also use an emery board you can get at the drugstore.
  3. Sand down the flat side of the module for about 30 seconds - 1 minute until the bottom is smooth and even.
  4. Wet the module to remove any dust. (I licked my thumb and used that)
  5. Pop the module back in.

If you did it right, there should be a slight indentation to accomodate the buttons. If not, pop out the module and repeat. This fix took me one minute to do and now it works perfectly. I'm sure that the Element people will correct this at some point.

Also, I don't have trouble with the lack of dimples along the sides. The lightness of the phone and the thinness of the outer edge allows me a secure grip. I don't think dimples would do any good.

The only downside is that the opening for the lightning connector barely fits the 30 pin-lightning adapter cable and is no good with the 30 pin-lightning adapter. I understand why they did it that way (the thinness of the PU on the bezel wouldn't provide enough rigidity along the bottom) but it kind of sucks that I'll have to remove my case to use a lot of accessories. Otherwise, it is perfect. Still the best all around case out there.

Last edited by ediamond; Jan 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Correct typos, add info.
ediamond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:09 PM   #32
brudog68
macrumors 6502

Excerpt from their website:

"Further improvements like integrated button system, and premium packaging with a magnetic closure make the new ION 5 an even better value."

Lol, so better packaging and a magnet in the box makes this a better value?.hehe
brudog68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:03 PM   #33
djbobbless
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediamond View Post
When they molded the button, the bottom plate that the button rests on is a tiny bit too thick and the molding seam makes it too thick to accomodate the buttons. The result is that the whole left side of the case seems to bow ever so slightly and pressure on the side of the case will activate the buttons. Fortunately the fix is easy and takes less than a minute.
  2. Get some fine sandpaper 400-600 grit will do fine. You can also use an emery board you can get at the drugstore.
  3. Sand down the flat side of the module for about 30 seconds - 1 minute until the bottom is smooth and even.

If you did it right, there should be a slight indentation to accomodate the buttons. If not, pop out the module and repeat. This fix took me one minute to do and now it works perfectly. I'm sure that the Element people will correct this at some point.

Also, I don't have trouble with the lack of dimples along the sides. The lightness of the phone and the thinness of the outer edge allows me a secure grip. I don't think dimples would do any good.

The only downside is that the opening for the lightning connector barely fits the 30 pin-lightning adapter cable and is no good with the 30 pin-lightning adapter. I understand why they did it that way (the thinness of the PU on the bezel wouldn't provide enough rigidity along the bottom) but it kind of sucks that I'll have to remove my case to use a lot of accessories. Otherwise, it is perfect. Still the best all around case out there.

Thanks for the fix tip. If element case doesn't resolve it, i'll go ahead and attempt to do this. Love the case other than that although.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:45 PM   #34
map1978
macrumors 68020

I think I'll wait until the gray color becomes available
Hopefully soon
map1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:04 PM   #35
WJKramer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediamond View Post

I agree with this review 100%. I used your tip to sand down the plastic volume key module and it worked great. However I hope this is only a temporary solution and element case provides a fix. It fits great in the hand and not slick at all. I use it with a SPG anti-glare screen cover and it works and looks great!
WJKramer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:49 PM   #36
BDoggPrelude
macrumors regular

How does this case compare in overall size to something like the Speck Candyshell Satin?
BDoggPrelude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:10 PM   #37
ediamond
macrumors newbie

It's comparable. having had both, the Ion 5 is more elegant in my opinion, and easier to put on and remove. It also works quite well with my Elevation dock.
ediamond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:35 PM   #38
BrandonZ
macrumors regular

Is the back flexible or stiff? Thanks for the info. I prefer stiff after reading about the bending iPhones.
BrandonZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:47 AM   #39
cali0028
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbobbless View Post
Thanks for the fix tip. If element case doesn't resolve it, i'll go ahead and attempt to do this. Love the case other than that although.
Can you comment on the back where the camera cut out is...do you have any issue with the flash flair or anything like that...from the pictures you posted seems the cutout in the back for the flash is little too close and it might cause issues if flashed used....can you please take some pictures with flash and maybe post the results if its not too much of a trouble?

--MS
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:13 AM   #40
cali0028
macrumors member

Other colors

Wonder if there are any plans for them to release any other color besides black being that I have a white iphone5...anyone know?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:47 AM   #41
map1978
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali0028 View Post
Wonder if there are any plans for them to release any other color besides black being that I have a white iphone5...anyone know?
gray, red, and white should be coming soon
map1978 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:57 AM   #42
cali0028
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
gray, red, and white should be coming soon
wow okay good! looking fwd for the red and white...thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:33 PM   #43
brudog68
macrumors 6502

FYI ...I went thru the checkout process just far enough to see how much the (ridiculous) shipping cost would be then stopped...got an email later that evening with a coupon code for 10% off if I completed the order. (Also wonder how they got my email addy as I did not "sign in" or have to give my email, spooky, lol)
brudog68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:48 PM   #44
fishmd
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon347 View Post
I received my case today and it feels great and also works well with the bodyguardz pure glass screen protector.
So glad you said this. It was the one thing holding me back from buying it.
fishmd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:18 PM   #45
RickG
macrumors regular

ordered ion5

i used the 10% discount- shipping was $12.00- I really don't like it when companies put a big additional profit margin on the shipping- I would rather just pay more for the product than get gouged with a stupid shipping charge- just my two cents.... I hope the buttons work correctly and I don't have to sand or file it - the website also says it can take up to two days to ship/process the order- their facebook page indicates that it is in stock- will post review when I get it...
RickG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:02 PM   #46
Marshalus
macrumors newbie

I found a 10% code from a Google search, 8745HPSUP34995, that just worked for me. Just ordered an ION 5 to go with my white iPhone 5 after seeing the reviews here.

I have a Speck CandyShell in black right now, but it feels a little too common/cheap. The ION was the first TPU case I've seen that didn't strike me as either ugly, or just something everyone else has.

Of course the sure fire way to make your phone unique is to not put it in a case at all. With a 1 year old running around the house who loves to grab unattended iPhones, that's really not a smart option.
Marshalus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 03:20 PM   #47
theautopilot
macrumors 6502a

Like the look of this case, but there has been very little discussion or reviews. Why is it not very popular? Quality issues? Price?
theautopilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:59 PM   #48
DanUC6
macrumors 6502

bump
DanUC6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:01 PM   #49
judyyhwu
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar4995 View Post
just an hour back my friend sent me a case from the element website. since we're into black ops2 on the ps3, i found this case bloddy amazing!!! the price tag however was a major turn off!!!
http://www.elementcase.com/Sector-5-...-1021-kk22.htm
looks a bit expensive for me! Why are cases so expensive nowadays?
judyyhwu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:33 PM   #50
The Green Mac
macrumors member

Just got mine and I love this case.

Best parts are:
1) The buttons are perfect. Very easy to press and tactile. No sanding or modification needed for mine.
2) Case feels great in the hand.

Concerns:
1) Immediately peeled the corner of my plastic screen protector. I took the screen protector off for now, but I am going to install a tempered glass one tomorrow (will install with the case already on).
2) I think the carbon fiber (sticker) will scratch pretty easily. Its not very recessed like I thought it might be.

So far, it's my favorite iPhone 5 case (and I have tried about 15).
The Green Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories