Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Dave26
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
2012 iMac problems?

After signing up and looking around the forum, i noticed a few people mentioning problems with the new 2012 iMac's.

I was wondering if these are widespread problems? and for those that have had their iMac's are you encountering any problems or not? I'm currently waiting on a 27" iMac (full specs below) seeing people with problems is a little worrying


3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB

3TB Fusion Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Dave26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Just remember people with issues are louder than satisfied people on the new and other people repeat issues that they heard about (without verifying them sometimes).

Your system should be fine and if not, you do have the option to return it. The only issue that I know of for you configuration that is real and affects everyone is that Bootcamp doesn't work with the 3TB disk options. There are apparently workaround for it, but they are messy.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:04 AM   #3
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave26 View Post
I was wondering if these are widespread problems?
Obviously, it's only those who have problems who complain. No one starts angrily typing away on forums because their Mac is fine. (Well...)

With any mass-production product, you're going to get some that slip through Quality Control. You'll get scratches or other damage; ones that have some little hardware glitch; even ones that don't work.

I don't think you'll find any Mac product (or other hardware) that doesn't have someone complaining that the one they got is duff.

What's the percentage? Pfffft. I couldn't say for sure. 1 in 5,000?

If there are problems, take it back and get another one.

But it's also true that not all reported problems are necessarily "defects". Computers are complex things. Look at all the threads about people who can't get Word or PHotoshop to work, despite it working fine on seemingly identical other machines.
benwiggy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:07 AM   #4
jrg1970
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Welcome to the forum!

Those are the specs of my machine.

Idon't think that there are any known widespread problems with the 2012 iMac. The ones mentioned most often here on the forum seems to be fan/HDD noise, yellow tinge (what I got with my first machine) and image retention. And only a few-compared to all the thousands who buy macs are experiencing those.

I wouldn't be worried-sure, you can get a faulty one, but the chance for that should be slim.

My second machine is flawless-only thing I need to figure out is if I have a slight resonance problem with my wooden desk and, if yes, how to fix it.
jrg1970 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Steve121178
macrumors 68020
 
Steve121178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
I have had mine since mid December and I have found no faults at all. Everything is perfect and I couldn't be happier with my purchase
__________________
13" rMBP Haswell i5/16GB/512GB (Late '13) 21.5" iMac i5/16GB/1TB Fusion (Late '12) iPhone 6 64GB iPad mini 2
Steve121178 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Dave26
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
[QUOTE=jrg1970;16638237]Welcome to the forum!

Those are the specs of my machine.

Idon't think that there are any known widespread problems with the 2012 iMac. The ones mentioned most often here on the forum seems to be fan/HDD noise, yellow tinge (what I got with my first machine) and image retention. And only a few-compared to all the thousands who buy macs are experiencing those.

Thank you i got those specs because i will be using my iMac for university video editing, Photoshop CS6, Final Cut Pro that type of thing. Along with some everyday use (Email, word processing and so on) Maybe a little light gaming (The Sims 3 that type of thing) cuss i have heard that iMacs are not great for gaming. I plan to keep my iMac (after the heavy amount i've spent) for at least 4-5 years (if it will indeed last that long)

Yea those are the problems i've read a few times, the yellow screen and HDD noise.
Dave26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:31 AM   #7
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816
 
iMcLovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
My imac is perfect. There's absolutely nothing to complain about... To the extent that I'm almost trying hard to find something, because it almost seem unlikely there can't be anything I dislike. I can hardly hear the fan (I even started wondering if the sound of the fan I could hardly hear was correct or not ) and the 768 flash drive is working amazing... So usually when i wait this long for a product theres always something to complain about, but currently im as happy as i can be... best 5000$ investment ive done in a long time.....Which I assume most are experiencing... And also a reason why it's no point hanging around here complaining anymore.

Slightly off topic:
I hate the 2big LaCie thunderbolt I bought with the iMac though. If it wasn't for that my setup would be completely silent, but the 2big hdd is noisy! I'm actually considering switching to a WD my book thunderbolt - even if the read/write is slower and whole thing is plastic... At least it's silent.
I wish LaCie could sell some silenced box to cover it... And I don't understand why a aluminum high end external hdd have to make so much fan noise. I've read reviews saying its an intelligent fan, but for me the fan runs at the same speed all the time as long as the drive is active...
__________________
27" iMac i7 2012 | 13" MacBook Air - 2013 | iPhone 6| iPad Air ...etc
iMcLovin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Dave26
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMcLovin View Post
My imac is perfect. There's absolutely nothing to complain about... To the extent that I'm almost trying hard to find something, because it almost seem unlikely there can't be anything I dislike. I can hardly hear the fan (I even started wondering if the sound of the fan I could hardly hear was correct or not ) and the 768 flash drive is working amazing... So usually when i wait this long for a product theres always something to complain about, but currently im as happy as i can be... best 5000$ investment ive done in a long time.....Which I assume most are experiencing... And also a reason why it's no point hanging around here complaining anymore.
Congratulations i'm waiting for mine hopefully it will turn up with no problems or issues. I've gone for the 3TB Fusion instead of the 768 SSD.
Dave26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:57 AM   #9
Mac2133
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Zero Problems

Identical config on mine, except that I have 32gb Crucial aftermarket RAM on m one. ZERO problems.
Mac2133 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:29 AM   #10
macsimcon
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Fusion drive caveat

Remember, Apple doesn't COPY the data to the flash memory, it MOVES it, so if either the flash drive or the hard drive fails, you are likely to lose all your data.

Don't forget to back up!

By the way, DriveSavers claims that flash memory is nearly impossible to recover data from, so if you've got an SSD drive, remember to back that up just as you would a spinning hard drive.
macsimcon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:33 AM   #11
Dave26
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsimcon View Post
Remember, Apple doesn't COPY the data to the flash memory, it MOVES it, so if either the flash drive or the hard drive fails, you are likely to lose all your data.

Don't forget to back up!

By the way, DriveSavers claims that flash memory is nearly impossible to recover data from, so if you've got an SSD drive, remember to back that up just as you would a spinning hard drive.
Thank you for the info I didn't know that :-) on the subject of the fusion drive, are they just as likely to fail as normal hard drives do over time?
Dave26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:33 AM   #12
Arman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave26 View Post
Thank you for the info I didn't know that :-) on the subject of the fusion drive, are they just as likely to fail as normal hard drives do over time?
Thats a good question and one that might be best answered using google but in general I think they are just as reliable. Having said that SSD drives have a maximum life expectany as the memory chips eventually "wear out" but for personal computing use, expect they will last well over 5-10 years.
__________________
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4Ghz, 32GB, 1TB fusion, 675MX
Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 16GB, 250GB SSD
iPhone 5 Black 32GB; iPad 4 Black 32GB
Arman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:10 AM   #13
itsamacthing
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Are any of you experiencing Image Retention with your 27-inch 2012 iMac? Specs are irrelevant as Apple is using the same LCD for all - thanks!!

Ps- have one on order, will go with aftermarket Apple OEM Hynix memory, as that's what ships with the iMac. It was more expensive than the crucial, but worth it I feel. 3TB fusion and i7

----------

786 Flash Drive is so Awesome! Grats!! You know you have an unused Sata port inside, and room for a 3.5 drive?! Im thinking about upgrades in 3 years when warranty is gone. Did you test for Image Retention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMcLovin View Post
My imac is perfect. There's absolutely nothing to complain about... To the extent that I'm almost trying hard to find something, because it almost seem unlikely there can't be anything I dislike. I can hardly hear the fan (I even started wondering if the sound of the fan I could hardly hear was correct or not ) and the 768 flash drive is working amazing... So usually when i wait this long for a product theres always something to complain about, but currently im as happy as i can be... best 5000$ investment ive done in a long time.....Which I assume most are experiencing... And also a reason why it's no point hanging around here complaining anymore.

Slightly off topic:
I hate the 2big LaCie thunderbolt I bought with the iMac though. If it wasn't for that my setup would be completely silent, but the 2big hdd is noisy! I'm actually considering switching to a WD my book thunderbolt - even if the read/write is slower and whole thing is plastic... At least it's silent.
I wish LaCie could sell some silenced box to cover it... And I don't understand why a aluminum high end external hdd have to make so much fan noise. I've read reviews saying its an intelligent fan, but for me the fan runs at the same speed all the time as long as the drive is active...
itsamacthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:35 AM   #14
Dave26
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arman View Post
Thats a good question and one that might be best answered using google but in general I think they are just as reliable. Having said that SSD drives have a maximum life expectany as the memory chips eventually "wear out" but for personal computing use, expect they will last well over 5-10 years.
I have heard conflicting things about the fusion drive thats why i asked. Some people say that the fusion drive has a longer life than HDD and some are saying shorter. For my needs (video editing, general use and a little gaming) as long as it lasts around 5 years then thats great longer would be fantastic. This is my first iMac so i'm unsure what to expect
Dave26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:07 AM   #15
Divided
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamacthing View Post
Did you test for Image Retention?
How do you test for image retention?
Divided is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:11 AM   #16
Brian Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divided View Post
How do you test for image retention?
If you have a problem, you'll notice it. Don't use a test engineer to show the problem up.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:23 AM   #17
BeejayUK
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Surrey Hills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave26 View Post
For my needs (video editing, general use and a little gaming) as long as it lasts around 5 years then thats great longer would be fantastic. This is my first iMac so i'm unsure what to expect
I have a 27" Intel i7 Core 3.4 turbo etc 32 GB RAM [All Crucial] 3 TB Fusion + La Cie 3TB External B/up via USB3 since 17th December. It replaced a 2010 iMac [Now my son's] the 2010 ran faultlessly with its OWC 240 GB SSD and the 2012 is miles quicker and as quiet and my GeekBench numbers are 14,200/340
in 64 bit mode.

Had Macs since 1984 and never had to return any. Only snag was a 22" Cinema Display which Apple replaced foc after 18 months use.

Still have my 1984 128K Mac in its carry case.
BeejayUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:37 AM   #18
Dave26
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeejayUK View Post
I have a 27" Intel i7 Core 3.4 turbo etc 32 GB RAM [All Crucial] 3 TB Fusion + La Cie 3TB External B/up via USB3 since 17th December. It replaced a 2010 iMac [Now my son's] the 2010 ran faultlessly with its OWC 240 GB SSD and the 2012 is miles quicker and as quiet and my GeekBench numbers are 14,200/340
in 64 bit mode.

Had Macs since 1984 and never had to return any. Only snag was a 22" Cinema Display which Apple replaced foc after 18 months use.
The specs i've ordered (see below) are mainly because i wanted to future proof the machine a little. I do video editing at university, general use, a little gaming (Sims 3 not high end type i have an Xbox for that) and maybe watch some of my iTunes content on it. So i wanted it to last at least 3-4 years.

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB

3TB Fusion Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad

Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)

Apple Battery Charger

Accessory Kit
Dave26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:39 AM   #19
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave26 View Post
I have heard conflicting things about the fusion drive thats why i asked. Some people say that the fusion drive has a longer life than HDD and some are saying shorter. For my needs (video editing, general use and a little gaming) as long as it lasts around 5 years then thats great longer would be fantastic. This is my first iMac so i'm unsure what to expect
I don't understand how anyone can make a statement that a fusion drive will last longer or shorter than HDD since F'D is in its infancy . from what I understand F'D is different than Hybrid Drive .it seems to me that some people are not gonna be happy no matter what .

Misery Loves Company ! try not to get all hung up on all the negative things people are saying . lord knows Im trying not too.
__________________
Once You Go Mac, You Never Go Back !
mushroomtip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:48 AM   #20
Binarymix
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomtip View Post
I don't understand how anyone can make a statement that a fusion drive will last longer or shorter than HDD since F'D is in its infancy . from what I understand F'D is different than Hybrid Drive .it seems to me that some people are not gonna be happy no matter what .

Misery Loves Company ! try not to get all hung up on all the negative things people are saying . lord knows Im trying not too.
It's quite simple.

The Hard drive will last as long as a hard drive will.

The SSD portion, will last as long as an SSD drive will.

It is literally two separate drives. It is only seen as one due to software.
Binarymix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:27 AM   #21
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binarymix View Post
It's quite simple.

The Hard drive will last as long as a hard drive will.

The SSD portion, will last as long as an SSD drive will.

It is literally two separate drives. It is only seen as one due to software.
exactly !
__________________
Once You Go Mac, You Never Go Back !
mushroomtip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:32 AM   #22
Dave26
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomtip View Post
I don't understand how anyone can make a statement that a fusion drive will last longer or shorter than HDD since F'D is in its infancy . from what I understand F'D is different than Hybrid Drive .it seems to me that some people are not gonna be happy no matter what
I think its cuss its a new thing used by Apple. And the average person doesn't know a lot about the fusion drive and how it differs from a normal hard drive. Myself included.
Dave26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:55 AM   #23
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave26 View Post
I think its cuss its a new thing used by Apple. And the average person doesn't know a lot about the fusion drive and how it differs from a normal hard drive. Myself included.
You can throw me into that group with you. I just assume the software makes both drives operate more efficently , therefore we don't know the exact lifespan since its not being utilized in the traditional sense.
__________________
Once You Go Mac, You Never Go Back !
mushroomtip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:49 AM   #24
Dave26
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomtip View Post
You can throw me into that group with you. I just assume the software makes both drives operate more efficently , therefore we don't know the exact lifespan since its not being utilized in the traditional sense.
True, As long as i get a few years out of it i'll be happy i have seen some benchmarks about the fusion drive speeds which look impressive.
Dave26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:58 AM   #25
itsamacthing
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divided View Post
How do you test for image retention?
You can use this test: http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

Please post your results, there are some reports of LCD issues with the new iMac

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
If you have a problem, you'll notice it. Don't use a test engineer to show the problem up.
The IR might get worse over time as some have reported...
itsamacthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac 2012 ghosting problems again Dor Levy iMac 5 Aug 20, 2013 12:02 AM
Colour problems with late 2012 iMac OwenMeasures iMac 1 Mar 18, 2013 03:02 PM
2012 iMac Wi-Fi Problems RobertoooMac iMac 0 Feb 16, 2013 04:00 AM
The new 2012 imac problems Hab299 iMac 14 Dec 24, 2012 09:04 PM
No Problems w/ New 2012 27" iMac! DerekS iMac 24 Dec 20, 2012 06:02 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC