Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:02 AM   #1
CharlieBrandt09
macrumors 6502

IP 5 light leak question

So my new, black VZW 16 gb has developed a minor light leak in the upper right hand corner of screen.

It's hardly noticeable, but I am anal with these things. Other than that, it's flawless.

Today is day 14 of me owning this, and Best Buy return policy is 14 days. Should I swap it for a new one? Does this generally get more noticeable with time? I'm sure I can live with it if it stays as-is, but if it it's going to get worse, I don't want to lose this opportunity to swap it.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:40 AM   #2
zybersniper
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBrandt09 View Post
So my new, black VZW 16 gb has developed a minor light leak in the upper right hand corner of screen.

It's hardly noticeable, but I am anal with these things. Other than that, it's flawless.

Today is day 14 of me owning this, and Best Buy return policy is 14 days. Should I swap it for a new one? Does this generally get more noticeable with time? I'm sure I can live with it if it stays as-is, but if it it's going to get worse, I don't want to lose this opportunity to swap it.
Light leaks are only visible under certain circumstances. Scuffs are way more noticeable. Are you sure you want to play the lottery again?
zybersniper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:56 AM   #3
CharlieBrandt09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zybersniper View Post
Light leaks are only visible under certain circumstances. Scuffs are way more noticeable. Are you sure you want to play the lottery again?
I know, and it's probably not even an issue. Just makes me nervous because I will lose the ability to swap at best buy starting tomorrow.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:47 AM   #4
arc123
macrumors member

Blacklight 'bleed' or 'leak' on the edges, and particularly in the corners, is very common with edge-lit IPS displays. If it didn't have it before, I guess it's plausible that it could get worse over time if it's the result of a progressive warping somewhere in the chassis. Otherwise, I imagine it won't change much.

Here's what I'd do: Check for the other sorts of defects, such as the 'interlacing' defect, hot or dead pixels, dust, color temperature, etc. If those all seem fine, I'd probably keep it. Very minor edge bleed is probably not going to affect your usage as much as any of those other things, and at least one of those other things shows up reasonably often. One other thing you could do is just go to the Apple store and hold your phone up to a display model, and see which one looks better in various situations.
arc123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:54 AM   #5
ant the ninja
macrumors regular

Best Buys return policy is 30 days, not 14.
ant the ninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:17 PM   #6
zybersniper
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant the ninja View Post
Best Buys return policy is 30 days, not 14.
I think it's different for phones.
zybersniper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:59 PM   #7
ant the ninja
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zybersniper View Post
I think it's different for phones.
I woulda thought that too but when I bought my phone from them the guy told me it was 30 days.
ant the ninja is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone