Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:22 AM   #76
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
Albums yes, singles no.

Only 30% of albums sold in the UK are digital but digital accounts for 97% of singles sold.
How else can you get singles? I haven't bought a 45 since 1979.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:22 AM   #77
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodauw View Post
I really wish they would do this for physical books, get the audio book for free.
That would be awesome. Kind of hard to do for text books and programming books though.
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:25 AM   #78
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrinh View Post
You have to download/install the amaxon cloud player in order to download multiple tracks of a CD. You used to be able to even download one track at a time but its been a few months since I bought mp3 music from amazon
That is not DRM.
That is limiting access to getting stuff out of the cloud threw their software only. I can understand Amazon reasoning for that.
Google play has restrictions like that as well.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:28 AM   #79
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

One and a half thumbs up. But I have to believe it would still be more cost effective to just offer lossless audio for download. It's why CDs are still around. Lossy audio, even at 320kbps just don't do it for decent high powered home amp or receiver with quality speakers and sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
People still by CDs?
Yes. Us old bats who still listen to music via an upscale wired home audio system need content that hasn't been mugged by over compression. MP3 and AAC are fine for hand held devices or low wattage portable systems, but when you get into better equipment & quality speakers, you don't need dog ears to tell a song was squeezed into it's wrapper.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Diver View Post
You can buy single songs all day long on Amazon and iTunes. I think that is what the poster is referring to, not old-school physical singles that died out in the early 90s (CD-Single).
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:37 AM   #80
majordude
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
? DRM? There's no DRM in the Amazon MP3 store.
Sounds like he was downloading a virus from Amaz0n.com or something.
majordude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:39 AM   #81
617arg
macrumors 6502

I would love for them to do the same thing with books........
617arg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:45 AM   #82
surma884
macrumors regular

We need to drop audio CDs asap. CDs are wasteful for many reasons.

1. To play CDs you need mechanical parts. Any moving part will increase the chance of failure. So if you have a device with 10 movies parts and another with 100 moving parts, the second device has a higher chance of failure. We have solid state storage with 0 moving parts. 0 moving parts means less reliance on factory works and more reliance on automation.
2. CDs are made with plastic. Some plastics are derived from petrochemcials, which means oil.
3. You can store more data on an SD card than a CD with a lot less plastic. If you have 100 albums you can easily put that on your thumbdrive/SD card in a lossless format.
4. Also SD cards are reusable, CDs are not.
5. Physically storing CDs uses more space than storing them on your thumbdrive/SD card. You can put all your CDs in a 200 CD case, but that is still 100 times bigger than a thumbdrive or an SD card.
surma884 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:48 AM   #83
Number 41
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617arg View Post
I would love for them to do the same thing with books........
First thought I had as well.

I love reading on my iPad, but I miss the experience of having a book I can sit and read if I wanted to as well.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by surma884 View Post

1. To play CDs you need mechanical parts. Any moving part will increase the chance of failure. So if you have a device with 10 movies parts and another with 100 moving parts, the second device has a higher chance of failure. We have solid state storage with 0 moving parts. 0 moving parts means less reliance on factory works and more reliance on automation.
2. CDs are made with plastic. Some plastics are derived from petrochemcials, which means oil.
3. You can store more data on an SD card than a CD with a lot less plastic. If you have 100 albums you can easily put that on your thumbdrive/SD card in a lossless format.
5. Physically storing CDs uses more space than storing them on your thumbdrive/SD card. You can put all your CDs in a 200 CD case, but that is still 100 times bigger than a thumbdrive or an SD card.
I like owning physical media.

Amazon or Apple can't send a "kill" code to delete my music/movie/book collection if it's sitting on the shelf in my house.
Number 41 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:50 AM   #84
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Yawn. Give me AutoRip for books and I'm sold.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:51 AM   #85
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyLukes3 View Post
CD's are better because you have a higher bitrate file after ripping than getting the downloaded version, plus you always have a backup on hand.
And your family can actually inherit something if you die. I say "if" because I don't plan to, ever...
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:00 PM   #86
jontech
macrumors 6502

None since 2001 lol

It's been that long since i Bought a CD
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:05 PM   #87
World Citizen
macrumors regular

Buy the new LP-record, and get a free CD with it...

It's not like that you needed the LP anyways...
World Citizen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:05 PM   #88
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKNN21 View Post
Have you thrown away your computer and use iPad instead?
I'm getting there. Don't use a PC at home (it was relegated to legacy stuff and iTunes tethering, but just occurred to me I never tethered my latest iPad nor iPhone, and don't use the older ones any more); am this ->||<- close to chucking the 8+ year old dying midget. Use a Mac at work, but mostly because of "there shalt not be any software development for iOS done on iOS."
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:13 PM   #89
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
And what of those that bought the digital versions!? Where is our free physical copy!?

Every digital download should come with a free physical copy - burning onto your own disks is so easy!
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:19 PM   #90
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Diver View Post
A lot of singles are now released on digital and vinyl only. Downloads may have killed the CD single but 45s are back, even if sales are not huge.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:24 PM   #91
Porco
macrumors 68000

I think this is a great idea and I hope it comes to the UK Amazon (and others) soon too, because I've bought a load of CDs from Amazon in the past.

However, for people saying it's hard to rip CDs if you have a mac without a built-in optical drive - you can of course buy an external USB drive for the price of a couple of new CDs, so if you wanted to it's really not very hard at all…

This is a great reason to continue buying CDs too. I really hope Apple are paying attention, because iTunes Match is looking more pitiful by the day by comparison, they need to do something about improving it soon.

More than anything though, it smacks of the kind of common-sense situation that should have existed from day one, that encourages legitimate purchases over piracy rather than the kind of idiocy that drives consumers in the other direction.

Now if they could only do it for movies, ebooks etc, that'd be really great (wishful thinking, I know…).
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:33 PM   #92
janstett
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Wow amazon is still using the old and somewhat outdated MP3 format. Get with the times, Amazon. MP4 based AAC has been available for a long time now. If Apple can do it, so can you.
Will AAC work on other devices? It will work on Android but not everywhere else... For example my car. MP3 will always be the defacto standard.
janstett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:36 PM   #93
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
A lot of singles are now released on digital and vinyl only. Downloads may have killed the CD single but 45s are back, even if sales are not huge.
I think crappy artists with hit singles in mind have killed the CD, well maybe more "albums"... A good album is awesome to listen to from end to end, regardless of media.

As a CD listener, I loved Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever". The moment of silence for listeners on tape or records that had to turn it over was priceless!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:39 PM   #94
janstett
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I'm not looking forward to buying 30TB worth of SSDs.

Hard disks have spinning mechanical parts too... I'm recovering from a failure in my 8 disk 24TB array... Worst case if I lost/lose anything I can go back to disc to re-rip again.
janstett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:42 PM   #95
Nermal

Quote:
Over the years I've bought far more than 14 CDs from Amazon, but that's what I got from AutoRip today.
Well you're lucky; I got zero. Yet the side bar has entries for "since you bought X, you might like Y".

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrobertson View Post
It might be worth pointing out that this is US only at the moment.
That could explain it, despite the tagline being "play your music anywhere"
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:43 PM   #96
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by majordude View Post
Sounds like he was downloading a virus from Amaz0n.com or something.
Actually what someone else said earlier appears to be accurate. You can no longer download music form Amazon without their MP3 downloader plugin.

That's a bit limiting. It used to be that single tracks would download using a browser.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Well you're lucky; I got zero. Yet the side bar has entries for "since you bought X, you might like Y".
They know you're in NZ. So no soup for you.

B
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:45 PM   #97
RobNYC
macrumors regular

Quote:
This happens a lot for me, though my CD acquisition rate is down to ~4/year.

B
I buy the CD if I really like the band and the album. I still care about the artwork and package of the album.
RobNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:47 PM   #98
Nermal

Quote:
They know you're in NZ. So no soup for you.
So it would seem. You'd think that a company like Amazon would realise that the Internet is accessible globally though!

Edit: I just opened the page again for the sake of it and I suddenly have 77 songs (5 albums) in there. It seems that it does work after all, and maybe more will show up if I try it again later

Edit Edit: After checking my order history, I've actually only bought 7 albums from Amazon in total. I thought I'd bought more than that!

Last edited by Nermal; Jan 10, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:49 PM   #99
nrose101
macrumors member

Quote:

CDs sounds better!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:54 PM   #100
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNYC View Post
I buy the CD if I really like the band and the album. I still care about the artwork and package of the album.
That kind of thinking is what occasionally drives me to paying a slightly higher price at iTunes vs. Amazon. The artwork/booklet is often better quality. I still buy ~1 album/month at least mostly from Amazon or iTunes.

I have far too many physical CDs to be looking at them very often. I store them in sleeves and cases from http://mmdesign.com so they don't take up too much room, but I have to ditch the jewel boxes or they'll eat my alive.

B

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion