Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:24 PM   #126
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
People still by CDs?
The only way I get my music. Cheap and physical.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:40 PM   #127
iScott428
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickmac View Post
Exactly. This needs to happen much more. Either free included downloaded codes on the vinyl or instant download of the MP3 version. Some people have record players that can rip vinyl to digital but the quality of those players are usually not that great.
Its absurd that no one has done this yet. Just because vinyl is old tech does not mean that it should be forgotten and neglected even in the digital era. I wish more people had an appreciation for music quality now a days.
2.2 GHz MPB, 2GB, 120 GB HD;2.4 Mac Mini 8gb 320HD Iphone 8gb> W 3GS 32gb> 4s 64gb W; 32GB Ipad Wifi> 64gb iPad 2 wifi+3G; 16GB Ipod Nano 6G; ATV2; Airport Extreme & Express;Apple Keyboard on Work PC.
iScott428 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:58 PM   #128
daveathall
macrumors 68000

I think it's an excellent idea, I have often opted for buying an download album from iTunes because I was too impatient to wait for a CD to arrive from Amazon, I still have a CD player so prefer to have the disc, this way, I can listen straight away while awaiting my disc. Once this comes to the UK I will not be purchasing anything further from iTunes, the deal from Amazon is, frankly, better. (IMHO)
daveathall is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:38 PM   #129
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrose101 View Post
CDs sounds better!
I assume he was talking about lossless downloads, which sound as good as CD (and have the potential to sound better if they're from a higher resolution source).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScott428 View Post
Its absurd that no one has done this yet.
Actually there are a number of companies that are including download codes with vinyl albums.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:48 PM   #130
Slim02
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
----------

[/COLOR]

Not any computer... hahahaha
Lets see I have a USB HD DVD driver (check), I have a USB/eSate Blu-ray burner (check). So I can use CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray on ANY COMPUTER... Just because it isn't built in does not mean I can not still use CDs or any disc format for that matter.. I use my Blu-ray driver for all my disc stuff then the DVD driver built in to my Mac.. Because it faster and easier to get to..
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:16 PM   #131
Bangolufsen
macrumors member

nice!
for the people asking
i buy new cds to support the artists
and i buy older cds because the sound quality is usually better and you often can't find those versions on torrent sharing sites.
with that said, i mainly buy older cds because i'm not a huge fan of the current music scene :>

Last edited by Bangolufsen; Jan 10, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Bangolufsen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:25 PM   #132
FrankieTDouglas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne182 View Post
how is it hard to put in a CD and just rip it manually? lol.

Considering I use an Air... it's incredibly hard.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:49 PM   #133
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Diver View Post
Free digital copies should be included with every type of media purchase. It's not hard at all to rip a CD to your iTunes library, cloud or whatever...but inclusion of the digital copy is a nice touch. Like buying a DVD of your favorite movie that includes a digital copy. It's usually better done than something you may do yourself, such as a backup archival via Handbrake or something.
You realise that CDs and DVDs are digital and have been for 25 years?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyLukes3 View Post
CD's are better because you have a higher bitrate file after ripping than getting the downloaded version, plus you always have a backup on hand.
From experience: CDs don't stay readable forever.
gnasher729 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:10 PM   #134
MacAddict1978
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodauw View Post
I really wish they would do this for physical books, get the audio book for free.
different beast though.... audio books require production (as in studio production)... and they're a smaller share of the book market. Audio books do cost more to produce. Especially the better done ones that have decent people reading or performing the story.

Though, I think that should be the case for ebooks when you buy the paper copy. Not that you'd probably use both.... but not likely you're often using the cd either... most people would just do this as a bonus
MacAddict1978 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:18 PM   #135
Slim02
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieTDouglas View Post
Really because the last time I heard, You can use a CD/DVD driver from another Computer that has one built in or use a USB driver.. So I do not think it is that hard..

Last edited by Slim02; Jan 10, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Slim02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:32 PM   #136
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Wow amazon is still using the old and somewhat outdated MP3 format. Get with the times, Amazon. MP4 based AAC has been available for a long time now. If Apple can do it, so can you.
AAC quality is NOT MUCH higher, if you use a “high quality” MP3 encoder. And many older devices DO NOT support formats like AAC.

----------

Quote:
25 US$ for an external drive is “incredibly hard”. iLOL

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carouser View Post
I lied...
Correct.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:30 PM   #137
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodauw View Post
I really wish they would do this for physical books, get the audio book for free.
Welcome to Fantasy Island.
MacDav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:49 PM   #138
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

Quote:
People still by CDs?
Since MP3 has subpar quality yes.
Nothing beats lossless audio.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:37 PM   #139
tkermit
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
One and a half thumbs up. But I have to believe it would still be more cost effective to just offer lossless audio for download. It's why CDs are still around. Lossy audio, even at 320kbps just don't do it for decent high powered home amp or receiver with quality speakers and sub.
When I recently bought Animal Collective's Centipede HZ on vinyl, they gave you a coupon that allowed you to download the lossless CD-quality version of the album for free. That's the best of all worlds, as far as I'm concerned. Only other thing I could have wished for, was to get the coupon code at the moment of purchase instead of only when the vinyl record had arrived at my doorstep.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:45 PM   #140
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

That's neat considering the only reason I have bought CDs is they weren't available from the iTunes Store. Was ripping a CD really that difficult?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:19 PM   #141
FrankieTDouglas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim02 View Post
Really because the last time I heard, You can use a CD/DVD driver from another Computer that has one built in or use a USB driver.. So I do not think it is that hard..
Sooo.... I should go purchase an entirely separate computer, since this is the only one I own, just to use the CD/DVD drive? Or maybe you mean I should go hassle a friend and borrow their computer each and every time I need to go rip a CD? Or, drive 2.5 hours to the closest Apple store and buy a clunky external device to use for importing my CDs?

Or, I can just get the digital downloads instantly.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:40 PM   #142
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundersteele View Post
I want this for books!!!
And movies (the backdating to 1998 thing)! Can you imagine if Amazon gave you access to every DVD/Blu-ray you purchased from them ever?

I like how Amazon continues to experiment with crazy business model things (Prime Shipping, Prime Videos, Prime Books, etc).

I order batteries and toilet paper using Prime shipping. They once overnighted me a weight lifting set for $1.99. It has to cost them a fortune.
jaw04005 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:42 PM   #143
Slim02
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sooo.... I should go purchase an entirely separate computer, since this is the only one I own, just to use the CD/DVD drive? Or maybe you mean I should go hassle a friend and borrow their computer each and every time I need to go rip a CD? Or, drive 2.5 hours to the closest Apple store and buy a clunky external device to use for importing my CDs?

Or, I can just get the digital downloads instantly.
The point is it is not hard to use a CD on your Air no matter how many executes you make. And you do not need to go to Apple store to buy a external driver either. Target, Best buy, Walmart sell external driver because any USB CD/DVD or Blu-ray driver will work. See I already use and own external devices (better then the built in one). So for me I can buy a new iMac and I can still use CD/DVD and Blu-ray. Plus am I going to stop using my software that I spend a lot of money on and got over the years just because my new computer has no disc drive? I am sorry but buying a external drive is a small price to be able to keep using my software. So when there is no internet and my hard drive crashing, I still have the hard copies.. I can also make MY OWN and BETTER formats then the ones you are download..

P.S. I can also take and/or burn CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray to a friends house that does not own a Computer.

Last edited by Slim02; Jan 11, 2013 at 02:28 AM.
Slim02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:44 PM   #144
CapnJackGig
macrumors 6502a

Amazon continues to destroy Apple with stuff like this. Hire better programmers, Apple. It's just embarrassing how bad Apple software/options are getting.
CapnJackGig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:22 AM   #145
theuserjohnny
macrumors 6502

I think people are not seeing the point of this service.

Obviously if you buy the CD you'll get better quality and more options when you rip it into your library.

The big seller here is the fact that MP3 versions will be stored on a cloud service.

So for those with handheld devices and such can stream their music without having to worry about taking up space on their device.

You don't have to pay extra to have it stored on a cloud service it'll just be there for you.

So you can stream your high quality music at your house but for when you are on the go this is great! Or maybe say you travel a lot... you don't have to worry about if your harddrive on your Macbook has enough storage or if your phone has enough storage for the music.

Obviously the downfall is that you require interent but in this day in age it shouldn't be a problem to find internet.
Google Nexus 4 16GB
theuserjohnny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:09 AM   #146
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Auto-rip from Amazon....?

Umm... convenient.

Is Amazon tryina say somehing.?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:22 AM   #147
groovyf
macrumors member

Quote:
People still by CDs?
Excellent idea from Amazon. Sadly, the vast majority of purchased CDs over the years has been from the .co.uk site, so I've only had four albums added that I've bought from .com

Last edited by OllyW; Jan 11, 2013 at 03:14 AM. Reason: corrections
groovyf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:32 AM   #148
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
...Was ripping a CD really that difficult?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech198 View Post
Auto-rip from Amazon....?

Umm... convenient.

Is Amazon tryina say somehing.?
Difficult, no. Time consuming, yup. So it is a helpful convenience. Plus I can get an album onto my iDevices immediately.

When I get a new CD I have to rip it twice, once for the home audio in ALAC and then again for my iPod and iPhone in MP3. Amazon's new service cuts my time in half. I can use every minute of the day so saving a couple minutes here is a plus. It's not earth shattering, but it is appreciated.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:36 AM   #149
Fujiko7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
What I'd like to see is "auto rip" books. I've moved on from physical media with music, but would like to still have actual books, but be able to have a Kindle/PDF version as well. They actually charge more for the Kindle version than the physical book in some cases which makes no sense, let alone requiring you to pay full price for both.
Totally agree with this. I've thought this for a while: if Amazon wants to push Kindle, or ebooks in general, they could give me Kindle versions of all the books I've bought.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:39 AM   #150
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJackGig View Post
Amazon continues to destroy Apple with stuff like this. Hire better programmers, Apple. It's just embarrassing how bad Apple software/options are getting.
Not sure what this has to do with programming? This is a licensing deal, nothing to do with software or programming.

Apple doesn't sell physical CDs, never has. The whole point of iTunes was to sell digital music, unlike Amazon which sold physical CDs then started selling digital as well. So there isn't a direct comparison.

Apple has iTunes in the Cloud which competes with Amazon's Cloud Drive.

That said, I always buy from Amazon because its prices are usually lower than iTunes. I mostly buy CDs unless a digital album is one of their $5 specials. You never see a current album on iTunes for $5. The irony is some CDs on Amazon are less expensive shipped than a digital version on iTunes.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion