Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:06 AM   #1
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020
 
ugahairydawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Google vs iCloud Revisited

In wake of all of the recent announcements by Google that they are going to drop Active Sync support for their accounts, does that change the calculus for any of you on whether you will continue to use Google for mail/contacts/calendar vs iCloud? Will not having push mail on iOS devices going forward (aside from the Gmail app) make you less likely to use Gmail as a service?
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:10 PM   #2
whsbuss
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
In wake of all of the recent announcements by Google that they are going to drop Active Sync support for their accounts, does that change the calculus for any of you on whether you will continue to use Google for mail/contacts/calendar vs iCloud? Will not having push mail on iOS devices going forward (aside from the Gmail app) make you less likely to use Gmail as a service?
Switched over to iCloud right after the announcement. I need instant push so IMAP or the Gmail app would not work for me. Both my wife and I are pleased with iCloud since the switch. One big bonus is since dropping the EAS gmail setup, battery life has improved more than 20%.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:39 PM   #3
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
I can't consider iCloud since I have my own domains and don't want to change my email address. I made that choice when Comcast changed from @home to @comcast.

The Google announcement does, however, change what I might recommend to customers. Since the days of good free domain-based email hosting are gone, I'm leaning toward hosted Exchange, as it seems to be the best cross-platform solution now.
__________________
Brian Baughn
Baughn Consulting
Baltimore, MD
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:52 PM   #4
jediistar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Switched over to iCloud right after the announcement. I need instant push so IMAP or the Gmail app would not work for me. Both my wife and I are pleased with iCloud since the switch. One big bonus is since dropping the EAS gmail setup, battery life has improved more than 20%.
FWIW, the Gmail app, at least the 2.0 version is near instant. Nine times out of ten I'll get the email on my iPhone or iPad before its hit gmail.com. Not for nothing and I'm considering going in with iCloud email since I already use it for calendar and contacts, but Gmail 2.0 is definitely push or push-like.
__________________
iPhone 4 16GB, Macbook Pro 2010 13.3" 2.4
jediistar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:09 AM   #5
whsbuss
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediistar View Post
FWIW, the Gmail app, at least the 2.0 version is near instant. Nine times out of ten I'll get the email on my iPhone or iPad before its hit gmail.com. Not for nothing and I'm considering going in with iCloud email since I already use it for calendar and contacts, but Gmail 2.0 is definitely push or push-like.
Yes I can agree with that. However calendar/maps/contacts are not integrated in the Gmail app. If I get an email with someone's address I cannot click the text and open the Maps app. You will find iCloud just fine.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:03 AM   #6
shotts56
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scotland
I used to use a shared Google calendar with my wife and we switched over to a shared iCloud calendar.

Does the same job just as well, but the only thing I miss is if my wife added something to our shared calendar, I had it set up that Google would automatically SMS me the details of that appointment. iCloud doesn't have that facility.

Last edited by shotts56; Jan 11, 2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Editing gibberish!
shotts56 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:21 AM   #7
ugahairydawgs
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
ugahairydawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBaughn View Post
I can't consider iCloud since I have my own domains and don't want to change my email address. I made that choice when Comcast changed from @home to @comcast.

The Google announcement does, however, change what I might recommend to customers. Since the days of good free domain-based email hosting are gone, I'm leaning toward hosted Exchange, as it seems to be the best cross-platform solution now.
Yeah. That's a problem I run into as well. Still have no idea why they killed off the ability to send from an external address in the Mail web app when they made the jump from MobileMe to iCloud.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:22 PM   #8
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotts56 View Post
I used to use a shared Google calendar with my wife and we switched over to a shared iCloud calendar.

Does the same job just as well, but the only thing I miss is if my wife added something to our shared calendar, I had it set up that Google would automatically SMS me the details of that appointment. iCloud doesn't have that facility.
If she adds you as an Invitee, you should get an email at least.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:38 PM   #9
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
I continue to enjoy great speed using Google services. It syncs my calendar contacts & mail to my MacBook Pro as well as my iDevices, Android devices & my ThinkPad.

My wife enjoys our shared calendar that appears on her iPhone, MBA & iPad.

We are both using iCloud, but on a limited basis since our experiences with MobileMe were both unreliable & spotty. Hopefully Apple will gradually build a decent track record with this latest attempt in the cloud. Once we can trust it, we'll certainly use it more.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:58 PM   #10
whsbuss
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotts56 View Post
I used to use a shared Google calendar with my wife and we switched over to a shared iCloud calendar.

Does the same job just as well, but the only thing I miss is if my wife added something to our shared calendar, I had it set up that Google would automatically SMS me the details of that appointment. iCloud doesn't have that facility.
You can go into icloud.com and setup notifications for calendar events.... its in the settings. That's what me and my wife do.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:08 AM   #11
iampaulb
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: London
Send a message via Skype™ to iampaulb
I was looking to make the change this year anyways, due to gmail not using all the features on iOS especially within email and contacts.

So i have moved...but after reading this it will be a perm move for me! Go iCloud!! woo
iampaulb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBaughn View Post
I can't consider iCloud since I have my own domains and don't want to change my email address. I made that choice when Comcast changed from @home to @comcast.

The Google announcement does, however, change what I might recommend to customers. Since the days of good free domain-based email hosting are gone, I'm leaning toward hosted Exchange, as it seems to be the best cross-platform solution now.
False

http://www.labnol.org/internet/setup...-domain/24699/

Outlook.com is highly acclaimed.

Not a lot of personal experience, still using Google Activesync.
__________________
iPhone 6 iPad Air Mac mini (2011)
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:56 AM   #13
djshack
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Somerville, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
False

http://www.labnol.org/internet/setup...-domain/24699/

Outlook.com is highly acclaimed.

Not a lot of personal experience, still using Google Activesync.
No aliases though. That's a HUGE missing feature. And Microsoft apparently has no fix in place.
__________________
13.3" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD; iPhone 5S, 32 GB, T-Mobile
djshack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:21 PM   #14
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Here's a blog post from August about the features of Outlook.com. I don't know how accurate it is.

The web interface is pretty nice, if slow. It seems it's ActiveSync-only for true syncing. Outlook 2013 for Windows will support it, of course. I don't know about the next Outlook 201x for Mac.

They will host domain-based email (up to 500 accounts!) but I don't think I'll be recommending it to anyone.

So, beats Google for future ActiveSync integration (including iPhone Reminders).
__________________
Brian Baughn
Baughn Consulting
Baltimore, MD
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:56 PM   #15
mac.cali
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I wish both apple and google would stop pissin on their customers on what they "think" they want. I like gmail but I don't like how I don't get push email unless I use their iOS app.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad mini 2 | iPad 3 | MacBook Air | Apple TV | Airport Extreme
mac.cali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:29 AM   #16
whsbuss
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.cali View Post
I wish both apple and google would stop pissin on their customers on what they "think" they want. I like gmail but I don't like how I don't get push email unless I use their iOS app.
Yep. Google lost me when they decided to drop AES on free accounts. iCloud works just fine now. Just wish they would support read/delete sync across iOS devices.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:18 AM   #17
gc916
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
iCloud works just fine now. Just wish they would support read/delete sync across iOS devices.
Could you please explain? My iCloud mail syncs fine between my iPhone 4s and MacBook Pro. Are you saying it won't sync between two iOS devices, such as iPhone and iPad?

Thanks.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro, Late 2011 | 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8 GB RAM | OSX 10.9.x
iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 8.x
AirPort Extreme 802.11ac (A1521)
gc916 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:02 AM   #18
ugahairydawgs
Thread Starter
macrumors 68020
 
ugahairydawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc916 View Post
Could you please explain? My iCloud mail syncs fine between my iPhone 4s and MacBook Pro. Are you saying it won't sync between two iOS devices, such as iPhone and iPad?

Thanks.
It does not support updating of read status across iOS devices right now. So if you get a message in your inbox and you just simply open it and read it on your iPad the read status will not update on your iPhone until you either take action with the message (delete it, move it to a folder, or archive it) or until another new message comes in. It used to be that only the latter would update the badge, but somewhere along the way they added the functionality of getting everything to update when you take action.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:05 AM   #19
gc916
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Thanks for the clarification. I currently have only one iOS device, and wasn't aware of this issue.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro, Late 2011 | 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8 GB RAM | OSX 10.9.x
iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 8.x
AirPort Extreme 802.11ac (A1521)
gc916 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:31 PM   #20
whsbuss
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Penna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc916 View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I currently have only one iOS device, and wasn't aware of this issue.
Well same goes for web access or mac mail. Its not just on another iOS device.
whsbuss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 06:05 PM   #21
gc916
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Well same goes for web access or mac mail. Its not just on another iOS device.
iCloud mail syncs fine for me between iOS, Mac Mail, Outlook, and iCloud Mail via a browser.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro, Late 2011 | 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 | 8 GB RAM | OSX 10.9.x
iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 8.x
AirPort Extreme 802.11ac (A1521)
gc916 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:59 AM   #22
wzz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediistar View Post
... Nine times out of ten I'll get the email on my iPhone or iPad before its hit gmail.com...
wow, is that true (just wondering)?
wzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 08:00 AM   #23
jediistar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzz View Post
wow, is that true (just wondering)?
Definitely true, though the random thing is the iPad app and iPhone can vary by 30 seconds. It's completely random and in no way troublesome, it's definitely still "immediate" as far as email needs go. Just something I've noticed.
__________________
iPhone 4 16GB, Macbook Pro 2010 13.3" 2.4
jediistar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 03:18 PM   #24
mlody
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I am a recent happy iCloud user - I have two iOS devices and a hackintosh, although I am planning to buy a real mac hopefully this year (will be looking for haswell system) and things are working/syncing as expected.

I am used to Exchange as that is what I have been using for the past 10+ years at my workplace and iCloud things such e-mail, calendar etc are working just like my work environment as far as I can tell, so I can say that iCloud from the functionality perspective is as good as the next other big thing.
mlody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2013, 09:27 PM   #25
MillerDad
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sin City, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Just wish they would support read/delete sync across iOS devices.
I don't know if the is was fixed with an update since March, but I have not run into this issue. If I open and read a message on my iPhone, then check my inbox later of my mac or iPad, the message is in the inbox, but shows as read.

I started testing the waters with icloud mail earlier this year, and am now completely switched over from Gmail. The only reason I even have an active Google account anymore is for Youtube and G+.
MillerDad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calendar Sync With iCloud and Google benjamwes Mac Applications and Mac App Store 7 Dec 12, 2013 02:08 PM
calendars: iCloud or Google? curmudgeon32 iCloud and Apple Services 6 Sep 23, 2013 12:34 PM
iCloud versus Google macher iCloud and Apple Services 23 Jul 21, 2013 09:41 AM
Google vs iCloud when having iPhone and Android Asr33 iCloud and Apple Services 3 May 28, 2013 01:12 PM
Google Calendar or iCloud (iCal) brainwave89 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Mar 8, 2013 12:46 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC