Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BackTwoMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Hello,
I use iTunes match and so far it's great. My only problem is it won't upload files that are not in the store. Is there a way to store these files locally on my phone (they are audio lectures for school) and still use the Match service? Right now, I'm finding it's either iTunes Match or whatever 16Gb my phone can store. Is there a way to have both?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Hello,
I use iTunes match and so far it's great. My only problem is it won't upload files that are not in the store. Is there a way to store these files locally on my phone (they are audio lectures for school) and still use the Match service? Right now, I'm finding it's either iTunes Match or whatever 16Gb my phone can store. Is there a way to have both?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

What do you mean it won't upload files not in the store?

After I ran iTunes Match, it uploaded 2473 songs that it could not "match" for whatever reason.

I have my complete collection in iCloud now and can download any of it onto my phone.

BackTwoMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Lectures arent music so im guessing thats why they wont upload. For that id use dropbox

They are mp3 files, that play fine in the music app without iTunes match. If I used dropbox, would this be streaming? I'm concerned about exceeding my 4G limits.

----------

What do you mean it won't upload files not in the store?

After I ran iTunes Match, it uploaded 2473 songs that it could not "match" for whatever reason.

I have my complete collection in iCloud now and can download any of it onto my phone.

I wish I could say the same. They all show the cloud with the line through it, and do not turn up on the phone.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
They are mp3 files, that play fine in the music app without iTunes match. If I used dropbox, would this be streaming? I'm concerned about exceeding my 4G limits.

----------

I wish I could say the same. They all show the cloud with the line through it, and do not turn up on the phone.

Oh, I see. That means iTunes Match sees these as "ineligible" to upload to iCloud. My guess is because these are low-bitrate files. (96 kpbs or something like that won't get uploaded).

Possible Solution 1:
- Select the ineligible tracks
- Under Advanced, select "create AAC Version"
- Under "Store" select "Update iTunes match"

Those AAC versions should upload.

Possible Solution 2 (if for some reason iTunes won't let you convert them):
- Create playlist from them.
- Burn to CD as "audio CD"
- Import new CD back into iTunes

BackTwoMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Oh, I see. That means iTunes Match sees these as "ineligible" to upload to iCloud. My guess is because these are low-bitrate files. (96 kpbs or something like that won't get uploaded).

Possible Solution 1:
- Under Advanced, select "create AAC Version"

Those AAC versions should upload.

Possible Solution 2 (if for some reason iTunes won't let you convert them):
- Create playlist from them.
- Burn to CD as "audio CD"
- Import new CD back into iTunes

Solution 1 worked! They're lengthy audio files so I had the bit-rate set pretty low. Thank you so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.