Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristIsLORD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
2012 Macbook Air, latest OS X, latest updates including the firmware update from yesterday.

Ever since a recent restore, remote time machine backups to my time capsule and drives attached to my time capsule haven't been working while my MBA has been asleep. After a number of trials, I can for the most part assume Power Nap is working since I receive emails while the machine is asleep.

However, Time Machine backups seem to start while the machine is asleep and only finish when I wake the Mac the next day. Looking in the logs, there are numerous instances of "Bulk setting Spotlight attributes failed."

Research says this can be a problem with the indexes, any number of various things. What it looks like, however (I assume), is the backup starting when the machine is asleep and then losing the connection to the time capsule

I've tried deleting and reindexing the spotlight index, repairing the drives in disk utility, making new backups from scratch, restoring the mac again, reinstalling OS X and using migration assistant to restore my data, running diskwarrior on both the backup disks and even buying a new external hard drive to test with. Nothing seems to work.

Seriously, this has been going on for 3-4 weeks now and I can't figure out what the problem is. It was working fine before I had to restore the Mac for an unrelated issue!

Please, I hope someone has a clue?

Here's an example log from last night polled from Time Machine Buddy

Starting automatic backup
Attempting to mount network destination URL: afp://xxxx;AUTH=SRP@Time-Capsule.local/My%20Passport%20for%20Mac
Mounted network destination at mount point: /Volumes/My Passport for Mac using URL: afp://xxxx;AUTH=SRP@Time-Capsule.local/My%20Passport%20for%20Mac
Disk image /Volumes/My Passport for Mac/xxx.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups
Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb
Using file event preflight for Macintosh HD
Will copy (33 MB) from Macintosh HD
Found 179 files (33 MB) needing backup
1.32 GB required (including padding), 1.44 TB available
Bulk setting Spotlight attributes failed.
Copied 30 KB of 33 MB, 204 of 204 items
Copied 69 KB of 33 MB, 616 of 616 items
Copied 1.2 MB of 33 MB, 922 of 922 items
Copied 1.2 MB of 33 MB, 1298 of 1298 items
Copied 5.3 MB of 33 MB, 1531 of 1531 items

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Ever since a recent restore
Well, as much as I don't like jumping to "after this, therefore because of this" conclusions, what was this "restore", exactly?
Did you restore the OS -- from what source? Generally, the OS doesn't need reinstalling or restoring, unless something has gone horribly wrong. Most problems are outside the scope of system files that get reinstalled.

ChristIsLORD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I had the right speaker replaced because it was distorted. I did a complete flatten reinstall to be sure some app wasn't messing around with the sound. It was determined to be the speaker itself and it was replaced. Aftewords I did a migration assistant restore to get my stuff back but since then I've done the same and regular time machine restores to try and solve the tm problem

dmilette

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Montreal
Did you ever get this issue sorted out?

I've been living hell with a similar issue now for months... Apple had my laptop and TC for a month and could not figure it out... Now after changing my laptop and then using Migration Assistant to get documents, iphoto library, itunes library back... the problem remains!

Backups work A OK when powered on and complete in 2-3 minutes but take 3-4 hours in powernap and have indexing errors... I'm about ready to rip my hair out of my head!!! :eek:

Praying you have an answer,

David

ChristIsLORD

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I've been living hell with a similar issue now for months... Apple had my laptop and TC for a month and could not figure it out... Now after changing my laptop and then using Migration Assistant to get documents, iphoto library, itunes library back... the problem remains!

Backups work A OK when powered on and complete in 2-3 minutes but take 3-4 hours in powernap and have indexing errors... I'm about ready to rip my hair out of my head!!! :eek:

Praying you have an answer,

David

Unfortunately I don't have a solution and apple couldn't tell me much. Every few months I come back to see if there is any more news on how to fix this... but still nothing. I usually get one backup being made after it goes to sleep with tons of "Bulk setting spotlight attributes failed" messages.

These backups restore fine and everything too.

Oh, AND I now have the 802.11ac time capsule and still with these messages and no backups while asleep. What the heck is going on?

dmilette

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Montreal
Unfortunately I don't have a solution and apple couldn't tell me much. Every few months I come back to see if there is any more news on how to fix this... but still nothing. I usually get one backup being made after it goes to sleep with tons of "Bulk setting spotlight attributes failed" messages.

These backups restore fine and everything too.

Oh, AND I now have the 802.11ac time capsule and still with these messages and no backups while asleep. What the heck is going on?

Oddly, in my case it's the laptop they swapped out and the problem remains so something must have got corrupted and is being brought over in the restore.

Apple are taking it in next week so hopefully they will figure it out this time... If they do I will let them know. Did you ever try a full reinstall and test out "vanilla"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.