Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Or, looking at it another way, they chose significantly sub-optimal product names and limited their appeal to one region/language.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Developers I do business with have seen the same thing. Declining sales for pre-existing software that always brought in steady sales and also declines for newly launched applications that would previously see a flurry of activity straight off the bat.

They too attribute it to the new way that users view apps as "cards" that they swipe. It severely restricts the speed of which you can view all the apps on offer and if you're not already the established application for the function being searched for you will see very little in the way of user discovery.

I think honestly with iOS 7 that Apple will reverse this, they have to be seeing the decline themselves and that is lost revenue to them, they won't just ignore that.

The way I see this new view in the App store is similar to how I saw Cover Flow in iTunes. A nice novelty that was interesting for about 5 minutes but cumbersome and ultimately inefficient and after the first 15 minutes, never used again.

The problem here is obviously that Apple has taken away the old way to browse apps completely and forced us to use this new view. At-least with iTunes we had the choice not to use Cover Flow.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
This picture explains it all, the initial search only shows one app unless you swipe. It is easily resolvable by giving the option of list or icon view:

app-store-search.jpeg

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
This picture explains it all, the initial search only shows one app unless you swipe. It is easily resolvable by giving the option of list or icon view:

Hmmm looking at it that way. The iOS5 version looks so archaic, and doesn't give you the nice quick preview, view. I don't think I'd like to go back.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Hmmm looking at it that way. The iOS5 version looks so archaic, and doesn't give you the nice quick preview, view. I don't think I'd like to go back.

Looking at it that way i can see a ton of wasted space for absolutely no reason where as there was no wasted space with the pre-iOS 6 version

trustme

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012

You sound like a homer.

No one likes the new view.

New look gives you the exact same information on each app as before except adds a stupid picture on the screen...freaking waste. Apple is dying.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

But you can't argue that users should at least have the option for list view, as a matter of fact it should be default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.