Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1
morty192
macrumors regular

iPhone 5 Camera Lens Problem...

Hello all,

Yesterday I noticed unusual clouds on the my iPhone 5's photos, I tried to clean the camera with a screen cleaning solution and micro fibre cloth but this hasn't helped at all. Please see attached photos for example of what I'm referring to. It appears as 3 small black dots that are present in photos and certainly are not just natural shadow.

Is there any way to fix this problem? I have had the phone since it's release at the end of September, I'm thinking of making an appointment with a genius, will I have to pay for a new camera?

Yours

morty192
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	389318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1387.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	389319  
morty192 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:32 AM   #2
zybersniper
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty192 View Post
Hello all,

Yesterday I noticed unusual clouds on the my iPhone 5's photos, I tried to clean the camera with a screen cleaning solution and micro fibre cloth but this hasn't helped at all. Please see attached photos for example of what I'm referring to. It appears as 3 small black dots that are present in photos and certainly are not just natural shadow.

Is there any way to fix this problem? I have had the phone since it's release at the end of September, I'm thinking of making an appointment with a genius, will I have to pay for a new camera?

Yours

morty192
No you will not have to pay for a new camera. They will swap your iPhone with a refurbished one that works and looks like new. You have dust in your camera sensor which can NOT be fixed by you. This happens to DSLR all the time, but their sensors can be accessed for cleaning.
zybersniper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:54 AM   #3
iKIKO
macrumors regular

All my photos on my iphone 5 get this stain. I hava tried clean the lens on the back and i cant see nothing behind the glass. What do you think it could be?

iKIKO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKIKO View Post
All my photos on my iphone 5 get this stain. I hava tried clean the lens on the back and i cant see nothing behind the glass. What do you think it could be?

That's a batmobile. Seriously, research your cars before you buy a big ticket item like that

Ok, sorry after the initial shock/amazement of what you were taking a picture of, I've seen that issue a few times on these forums. I think the experts here said it was a bad sensor. Not dust, but an actual physical problem on the sensor. That should be replaceable under the standard warranty for manufacturer defect.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Oppressed
macrumors 65816

I had the EXACT same issue and I took it in and got it replaced no questions asked. You can see it below above the balloon and to the left a bit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	595.7 KB
ID:	389325  
Oppressed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:

As the other guy said, sensor problem.

But to the important stuff, where did you get the batmobile?????
Tyler23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:06 PM   #7
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
But to the important stuff, where did you get the batmobile?????
Inquiring nerd minds must know the answer!! I'm hoping is a really well done scale model and not a life size version sitting in his garage. Otherwise, I will be messaging him to see if I can borrow it.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:13 PM   #8
zybersniper
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppressed View Post
I had the EXACT same issue and I took it in and got it replaced no questions asked. You can see it below above the balloon and to the left a bit.
This is a very good example of debris on the sensor. A lot of people take pictures of a blue sky or a very white plain background to check for this on DSLR.

The stain however, doesn't look like dust. You should replace the phone none the less.
zybersniper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:36 PM   #9
iKIKO
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Inquiring nerd minds must know the answer!! I'm hoping is a really well done scale model and not a life size version sitting in his garage. Otherwise, I will be messaging him to see if I can borrow it.
It is actually the real batmobile. Its in warner studios in burbank usa. My last vacations
iKIKO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Copefree
macrumors member

I had the same problem a month into owning my launch-day IP5 and Apple replaced my phone no questions asked.

See the spec just to the right of the TV.
Copefree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:18 PM   #11
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Originally Posted by morty192 View Post
Hello all,

Yours

morty192
Had a friend who was having the same issue. He went to the Apple store and they swapped him out a new one.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Shinamoto77
macrumors newbie

And what should you bring to the apple store to get your iphone replaced? And... Thet give you a brand new one?
Shinamoto77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 01:13 PM   #13
Tasugai
macrumors newbie

I noticed a dark spot on my iPhone 5 photos. Do I need to make an appt with Apple or just walk in?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	55
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	430796  
Tasugai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 01:15 PM   #14
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasugai View Post
I noticed a dark spot on my iPhone 5 photos. Do I need to make an appt with Apple or just walk in?
Making an appointment will be the wiser decision. Otherwise you're going to have to wait and see if they have an opening to squeeze you in with a genius.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 01:55 PM   #15
Dee2001
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasugai View Post
Definitely make an appointment before going in. I just had my iPhone 5 replaced with the same issue. The genius even told me that my power button wasn't working correctly and I hadn't noticed that. Shows how often I switch it off and on. lol
Dee2001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 03:04 PM   #16
Tasugai
macrumors newbie

Thank you!
Tasugai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 09:09 AM   #17
sime0n
macrumors newbie

I have this weird u shape line on my pictures.

Anyone know how to fix it? Phone is out of warranty. I don't notice any scratches on the external lens so I wonder if this is sensor or not.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	51
Size:	726.0 KB
ID:	459717  
sime0n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2014, 02:09 PM   #18
Max(IT)
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sime0n View Post
I have this weird u shape line on my pictures.

Anyone know how to fix it? Phone is out of warranty. I don't notice any scratches on the external lens so I wonder if this is sensor or not.
It's not a scratch, but dust .... If you are out of warranty, well ....
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb
Max(IT) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 05:17 AM   #19
BobKay
macrumors newbie

this app can fix

Quote:

It may be a little bit late, but this app fixes exactly this kind of flaws:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/flawfix...8067?ls=1&mt=8
BobKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone