Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Has anyone ever seen a situation where on a Macbook air using an external Apple USB superdrive that the Bootcamp Assistant doesn't recognize the drive is present?

It's one of those matching model A1379 units that Apple sells as an optical reader/burner for a Macbook Air.

Under the apple menu under "about this Macintosh" and in the "system report" the USB subhead shows that it sees the drive - you can even see the CD show up on the desktop with the windows install media on it.

But the bootcamp assistant claims there's no drive attached when we attempt to install windows.

The CD is good since it works on all the I.T. windows machines we have onsite.

Ideas?

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
You do have the power cord plugged into your air right? Did you try both USB ports, I recall something that one port has higher power output than the other.

Also does it not show-up in windows or in OSX also?

If it is only in windows it could be what's called "upper and Lower" files that can be cleared when you have trouble seeing a optical drive under windows.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Ah

We haven't gotten windows running on the machine yet - it's the boot camp assistant that is complaining about not seeing the drive. The system profiler sees it but the boot camp assistant doesn't.

I'll try another USB port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.