Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:27 PM   #1
WolverineKS
macrumors newbie

What should I get and what to return?

So as for "home computer" I have bought a 15" MacBookPro Retina Display and a Thunderbolt display...and also have a iPad

But our work computer was a ThinkPad PC.

Now work has also given us the same MacBookProRetina that I have . So now I have two MacBookProRetinas!

Note: We CAN use the same work computer for personal use too, nothing says we can't do that. Plus I still have the iPad if I really really want to keep private browsing from work computer

What is a better thing to do?

(A)Sell my home MacBook AND also sell my Thuderbolt Display AND instead buy a new 27" iMac for home?

(B): Sell my MacBookPro, BUT Keep the Thunderbolt display and buy a fully loaded MAcBookAir instead for home use?

(C): Sell Both Home-MacBook And Thunderbolt and put that hard earned money in the bank?

That's what I think...what do you suggest to do?

Last edited by WolverineKS; Jan 10, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
WolverineKS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Dan415
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineKS View Post
So as for "home computer" I have bought a 15" MacBookPro Retina Display and a Thunderbolt display...and also have a iPad

But our work computer was a ThinkPad PC.

Now work has also given us the same MacBookProRetina that I have . So now I have two MacBookProRetinas!

What is a better thing to do?

Sell my home MacBook AND also sell my Thuderbolt Display AND instead by a new 27" iMac for home?

That's why I think...what do you suggest to do?
Assuming you don't need your home computer to be mobile, you would get a lot more computer for your buck if you get the 27" iMac.
Dan415 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:05 PM   #3
FreemanW
macrumors 6502

Regardless of your employer's rMBP use policy . . . that rMBP is owned by your employer, they can opt to change their use policy at any time, and they own whatever you may do on that computer.

Just something to keep in mind during your decision process.

I suppose you could unload your personal rMBP and continue to utilize your iPad while you decide whether you even need another computing device for home.

First world problems are a good barometer of just how good life is.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:20 PM   #4
sounddesigner
macrumors regular

What are the specs of the imac and what are your uses?
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:24 PM   #5
WolverineKS
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddesigner View Post
What are the specs of the imac and what are your uses?
the iMac that I may buy you mean?

if I make that decision I am thinking of 27" new iMac with cpu upgrade to i7 and 1TB Fusion Drive.

As the "home" computer well I will be using it for pictures, music, Facebook, some news websites, learning Java stuff, Ruby on Rails, ..web-dev stuff.
WolverineKS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:12 PM   #6
C-DAWG
macrumors newbie

Personally, I would never consider a work computer to use for anything personal (even if your superiors said it was OK). Anything done on and stored on that computer is owned by your employer. I'd keep personal and professional totally separate (for your own protection). Why did you buy the rMBP in the first place? Have your needs changed since purchasing your current setup (power and portability needs)? If not, I'd keep everything.
C-DAWG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:15 PM   #7
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

IF an employer gave me a rMBP and told me I could use it for personal use, and even if they told me I could not here is what I would do with *that* machine.

If I wanted to use it for personal use regardless of their rules I would purchase an EXTERNAL HDD.

I would then install OSX to that external drive, making it a BOOTABLE SYSTEM DRIVE and install all my software to that EXTERNAL DRIVE.

That way I would be certain none of my personal stuff was on the company computer.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:18 PM   #8
talmy
macrumors 68040

Here's another "vote" for not using an employer's computer for personal use. For all the reasons cited above.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:45 PM   #9
sounddesigner
macrumors regular

I would go with option B so that u will have a portable computer to use that is not your company computer also none of your uses are so big that a macbook air could not handle it
sounddesigner is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac