Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
This may interest some of you.

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/chrome-for-android-beta-channel.html

The Chrome Team is excited to announce our first Beta channel release of Chrome for Android, based on Chrome 25. You can download version 25.0.1364.8 from Google Play (note, please use the direct link, you will not find it via the search function in Google Play). Similar to our other platforms, Chrome Beta for Android offers a preview of new features and enhancements currently in development. You can install both Chrome and Chrome Beta side by side on the same device.

Link: http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chrome.beta

Already has improved html5 support:

Chrome 18 Stable:
screenmpm.png

Chrome 25 beta:
screenuju.png

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Seeing as we're able to use both at the same time, why not! :D

I use the AOSP browser anyway but I'll give this a shot. Thanks for sharing.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
The Verge used to bring my nexus 7 to it's knees but this build seems much better now.

Glad to share it. :D

ammonkapow

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
The tests call it 'Nightly'. Think this will be a daily release like Canary? That would be pretty cool.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm using it right now. Much faster then Chrome that was shipped with my N10 especially in incognito mode. Oddly though, some webpages can start out to far zoomed, zoomed out more then what should be the max.

Faster though. 425 on html5test.com vs 390 on stock chrome. All browsers on my 4S have always been about the same around 380-385....

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately it won't work on my rooted GS3 running CM10. Just crashes immediately after it's opened.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
How are people finding the first update? Chrome beta is far, far suitor to Chrome "stable" on my nexus 7.
Glad to see it's getting better already. :)

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Its an improvement but the smoothness is still not as good as the stock android browser. If you look in the change submissions log though they are implementing a new composition rendering engine which should improve smoothness drastically. They are also moving composition into a seperate thread from page rendering which means no more stuttering when something new loads.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
If only they could fix chrome for super high resolutions. It runs akin to garbage on the Nexus 10. How could Google let that slip by?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
If only they could fix chrome for super high resolutions. It runs akin to garbage on the Nexus 10. How could Google let that slip by?

Google should have put the stock aosp browser on the nexus 7, nexus 4, and nexus 10. It runs so much better. You can get it with root.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Google should have put the stock aosp browser on the nexus 7, nexus 4, and nexus 10. It runs so much better. You can get it with root.

I never had any speed issues with any version of Chrome on any Nexus device or other Android Device except for the 10. It has got to be the resolution.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I never had any speed issues with any version of Chrome on any Nexus device or other Android Device except for the 10. It has got to be the resolution.

He keeps reposting this as if it's fact... and until a month or two ago he was right - Android Chrome had serious performance issues. I simply don't see this anymore but he insists on posting this everytime Chrome comes up.

Use the aosp browser on any of those devices. Its butter smooth.

Currently, so is Chrome for me.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
He keeps reposting this as if it's fact... and until a month or two ago he was right - Android Chrome had serious performance issues. I simply don't see this anymore but he insists on posting this everytime Chrome comes up.

Currently, so is Chrome for me.

Its smoother than chrome even on the nexus 7 and galaxy nexus. Its a proven fact. It also benchmarks higher and doesn't force you to have the adress bar present at all times. It really is that much smoother. Have you actually used it?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
and doesn't force you to have the adress bar present at all times.

This is my main complaint regarding Chrome. It desperately needs a full screen option.

It really is that much smoother. Have you actually used it?

I use both daily and I simply don't see this. I don't understand how we can have such drastically different experiences... unless i'm blind or something. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.