Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:21 PM   #1
GothamsGreatest
macrumors newbie

Buy Now, Activate Later?

As many of you many know the IPhone 5 is on sale at Walmart right now for $127. I called up At&t and asked them about upgrading to it and as I am eligible for the upgrade, they said if I buy the Iphone now they would prorate my bill which I DO NOT want. My question is, can i buy the phone from Walmart for the discounted price and activate it the day my billing cycle ends which occurs the first week of Feb??
GothamsGreatest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:39 PM   #2
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamsGreatest View Post
As many of you many know the IPhone 5 is on sale at Walmart right now for $127. I called up At&t and asked them about upgrading to it and as I am eligible for the upgrade, they said if I buy the Iphone now they would prorate my bill which I DO NOT want. My question is, can i buy the phone from Walmart for the discounted price and activate it the day my billing cycle ends which occurs the first week of Feb??
I would think so, I bought my 5 the monday before thanksgiving and did not activate it until Christmas day.

Now I am on Verizon and I paid full price, so YMMV
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:22 PM   #3
BruiserB
macrumors 6502a

You can activate whenever.....but to buy now at the subsidized price you need to be eligible for the subsidy now (i.e. you need to be upgrade eligible now).
BruiserB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:40 PM   #4
GothamsGreatest
macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm eligible now.
GothamsGreatest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:27 PM   #5
timlopez
macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, I tried to purchase an iPhone 5 from walmart a couple days before Christmas for my wife to give to her on Christmas, but the guy said he would need to activate it immediately (which would have discontinued her current iPhone 4). I ended up going to Best Buy and price matching about a week later because Walmart was out. Best Buy activated on the stop as well.
timlopez is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone