Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cdaddy112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
You know what they say.....you don't know what you got till its gone! The lumia 920 was a fantastically solid built phone, kudos to nokia, but windows was the nail in the coffin for that one. The galaxy note 2 was just too damn big, I greatly appreciated the bigger screen when I was just sitting on the couch or relaxing, but in everyday use it just didn't work for me. The note also felt very cheaply built, amazing battery life though. I guess it came down to being with apple for so long, I am deeply invested in the ecosystem (iMac, apple tv, macbook, colleagues all using iOS) and it was really starting to get tiresome not having photo stream/imessage/itunes etc. Now a lumia 920, running iOS......that would be tempting!

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
I went from iPhone 5 to iPhone 4s to Galaxy Note 2 to Samsung Galaxy s3 to Nokia Lumia 920 back to iPhone 4s. Didn't need the 4g connection.

Cdaddy112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I went from iPhone 5 to iPhone 4s to Galaxy Note 2 to Samsung Galaxy s3 to Nokia Lumia 920 back to iPhone 4s. Didn't need the 4g connection.

At least Im not the only one, you start to think "hey maybe apple is losing its mojo" you convince yourself to try the other flagship phones and then realize things are pretty nice right here

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
My iPhone 4 broke some time ago, but I waited until the iPhone 5 was released before I replaced the broken 4.

I didn't like anything out there, or should say .... there was nothing out there worth entering into another two year contract.

I had Apple replace the iPhone 4 with another one and paid $149 .... at least I am not locked into the phone by contract.

If something good comes out in the future I can always sell the iPhone 4 and get what's new.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
At least Im not the only one, you start to think "hey maybe apple is losing its mojo" you convince yourself to try the other flagship phones and then realize things are pretty nice right here

It's partially influenced by familiarity. You're used to certain things. I'm used to them too, although for me it's more of a checklist. If I can find a way to accomplish a list of tasks, I don't really care how one phone handles them as opposed to another.

Cdaddy112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
It's partially influenced by familiarity. You're used to certain things. I'm used to them too, although for me it's more of a checklist. If I can find a way to accomplish a list of tasks, I don't really care how one phone handles them as opposed to another.

True, I found the windows phone was BY FAR easier to just pick up and use out of the box, the samsung on the other hand was a different beast entirely

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
True, I found the windows phone was BY FAR easier to just pick up and use out of the box, the samsung on the other hand was a different beast entirely

I do like what Samsung is doing as far as the S3 and Note 2 options, but could never get past the cheapness feel of their offerings.

That was one main reason I skipped the Note and decided to stick with the iPhone lineup.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
My iPhone 4 broke some time ago, but I waited until the iPhone 5 was released before I replaced the broken 4.

I didn't like anything out there, or should say .... there was nothing out there worth entering into another two year contract.

I had Apple replace the iPhone 4 with another one and paid $149 .... at least I am not locked into the phone by contract.

If something good comes out in the future I can always sell the iPhone 4 and get what's new.

Wow really, i love my 5 coming from a 4 (passed it to my daughter). The camera is great, LTE is great (really great), the larger screen is just the right size (for me). Siri has been alot of use for me, i use it to text and to pick songs to play while in the car.

Cdaddy112

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I do like what Samsung is doing as far as the S3 and Note 2 options, but could never get past the cheapness feel of their offerings.

That was one main reason I skipped the Note and decided to stick with the iPhone lineup.

No doubt samsung has upped their game tremendously and their phones are not to be taken lightly, apple had better be taking them seriously

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Most of the time this seems to be an issue of feel for people. Things like drop tests and percentage still in operation after one to two years are a much better way to determine this. I get why people think this, but I don't think it has affected my own decisions either way. I don't care that much about phones as long as they do everything I require. It's mostly a matter of how quickly I can respond to email, look up a file, price, and the quality of the camera, as most modern phones have commercial applications available for a wide range of tasks. Also on the Note II, I don't like phones that do not fit comfortably in my pocket. Pants vary quite a bit in pocket cuts, and I don't want to be concerned with that.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Wow really, i love my 5 coming from a 4 (passed it to my daughter). The camera is great, LTE is great (really great), the larger screen is just the right size (for me). Siri has been alot of use for me, i use it to text and to pick songs to play while in the car.

For me at least... phone camera is a phone camera. they both look the same on instagram.
LTE is okay, but realistically, 3G is fast enough for those quick browsing. for serious (longer) browsing sessions, I'd go to a wifi hotspot.
The larger screen is great but doesn't improve the user experience as much as the previous jump --> normal screen to retina. Siri is great, but something you can totally live without and not miss. for me anyway. Siri is very cool, but not crucial feature.
Overall, I thought my jump from a 3G to the 4 is far far more tangible than the jump between the 4 to the 5.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
For me at least... phone camera is a phone camera. they both look the same on instagram.
LTE is okay, but realistically, 3G is fast enough for those quick browsing. for serious (longer) browsing sessions, I'd go to a wifi hotspot.
The larger screen is great but doesn't improve the user experience as much as the previous jump --> normal screen to retina. Siri is great, but something you can totally live without and not miss. for me anyway. Siri is very cool, but not crucial feature.
Overall, I thought my jump from a 3G to the 4 is far far more tangible than the jump between the 4 to the 5.

The 4 was my first iPhone, so that is all i have to compare to (before the 4 i had a Palm Treo). I have Verizon and i have to say going from Verizon 3G to Verizon LTE was like night and day.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Three top of the line smartphones within a months time? I think the real issue is the amount of money on hand, feel free to donate ;)

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
I had iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, and then I got a free Samsung Galaxy II, so I tried that for awhile. It was super lightweight but felt cheaply made, screen was gorgeous though and it was fairly responsive, not as much as iPhone though. In the end it came down to which interface was easier and faster to use . . . So I got the iPhone 5 and love it. No switching back for to Android for me :)

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Have had a iphone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S and 5. Now I have a Galaxy Note 2, and sorry I don't agree with you fanboys here. The Note 2 is a much better phone than the iphone 5 was. Screen size, resolution, features, size, weight, battery life, etc. It is built solid and I don't have to worry too much if I drop it as I did the iphone as it would either shatter, or dent/chip.

The Note 2 fits perfectly fine in pockets. It is not that big as you make it be. you guys are use to the little tiny iphone and need to get over it.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
Yes I liked the note 2s battery life also but I also can honestly say the iPhones battery life is great to not as good as the notes but the problems I had with the Note came down to the screen is blue to me now I'm not saying its not beautiful it is but the responsiveness is not as good and for all everyday things I do the iPhone was faster in most aspects.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Now I have a Galaxy Note 2.... you guys are use to the little tiny iphone and need to get over it.

Hey-hey, who are you calling tinny? :D

So u just hang here to check out the competition? U know you want to come back!

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Have had a iphone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S and 5. Now I have a Galaxy Note 2, and sorry I don't agree with you fanboys here. The Note 2 is a much better phone than the iphone 5 was. Screen size, resolution, features, size, weight, battery life, etc. It is built solid and I don't have to worry too much if I drop it as I did the iphone as it would either shatter, or dent/chip.

The Note 2 fits perfectly fine in pockets. It is not that big as you make it be. you guys are use to the little tiny iphone and need to get over it.

Not that big :p
That's a good one. The thing is HUGE!
I'm not saying that's a bad thing if it works for you, but let's not pretend the thing isn't ginormous.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Its always good to try other things. test the waters and see what you like. I've had the iPhone 3G,3GS,4S and 5 and was excited for each. Now that CES showed all the great android phones and Blackberry 10 impress me, you never know.

PS. if you still have the Note 2, i'll buy it!!

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I'm not saying that's a bad thing if it works for you, but let's not pretend the thing isn't ginormous.

I completely agree with you, and this is coming from someone that's been using the S3 for the last 7 months! I tried a Note 2 for a few days and while it's an amazing piece of hardware, I just couldn't get past the size of it. I'm not cracking on people that love it...that's their right to feel that way. But for me, at least, it was just TOO big.

I loved the battery life, though! :D

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada

Everyone's needs are different and I did like my iP4 a lot but now that I have the 5 it's really hard to go back.

While the camera is still a phone camera, it's finally usable for me. I have an active 6 yr old and the iP4 camera had way too much shutter lag and a slow autofocus which made taking pictures excruciating. The 5, speed wise in comparison, feels more like my DSLR and I'm finally getting consistently good shots which means I don't have to take my main camera with me most of the time.

Siri also is very handy to use in the car while driving. Where I am they've really clamped down on cell phone use for drivers. I can now get text read and replied to without looking.

I agree about the screen size, it's nice but not crucial for me. And same for LTE, nice but I have wifi everywhere I go so it wasn't a big deal.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I went from iPhone 4S to SG3 then back to 4S. I actually didn't know none of the Android phones have Visual VM. I know you can download app on Playstore but it's not the same as built it VVM on iOS. Standalone app works sometime but it's a hit or miss.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Yes I liked the note 2s battery life also but I also can honestly say the iPhones battery life is great to not as good as the notes but the problems I had with the Note came down to the screen is blue to me now I'm not saying its not beautiful it is but the responsiveness is not as good and for all everyday things I do the iPhone was faster in most aspects.

Umm the responsiveness is snappy and fast. Much faster then the iphone was. If you have a lot of APPs left open, sure it;s going to slow down a little because it actually multitasks in real life unlike the iphone it doesn't multitask. So you need to close apps down. Can't blame the phone for a user error.

----------

I use to say the same exact thing till I got one and had it a week. Now I am use too it and its fine.

----------

I went from iPhone 4S to SG3 then back to 4S. I actually didn't know none of the Android phones have Visual VM. I know you can download app on Playstore but it's not the same as built it VVM on iOS. Standalone app works sometime but it's a hit or miss.

The AT&T app called Visual Voicemail works just fine. Rather have more features and customization than being locked down to what Apple gives you.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
Umm the responsiveness is snappy and fast. Much faster then the iphone was. If you have a lot of APPs left open, sure it;s going to slow down a little because it actually multitasks in real life unlike the iphone it doesn't multitask. So you need to close apps down. Can't blame the phone for a user error.

I did have the apps closed I've used Android before and I'm not a fanboy of each, and for me the IPhone 5 was indeed faster also the negatives you count toward the iPhone are actually positives as far as speed is concerned, yes I appreciate the ability to multitask yet I didn't like to have to manually shut down apps and services constantly to maintain speed of the OS. While Android does give me the option which I appreciate that option comes with a lot more work and care of the OS as a whole as far as speed is concerned.

Also with each iteration of Android comes the need for more horsepower to handle the features while IOS may need to open up more control to its users Android as a whole may need to tighten the reigns of its operating system, Which is why Samsung is looking to move away from Android to start utilizing their own OS so they can garner more control of the user experience

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.