Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattfab

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
So today I was sitting down in my room near my Xbox, and put my ipad on it while accidentally turning on the Xbox, since the power button is touch sensitive. Anyways, it was probably on for about 20 minutes until I realized my Xbox was on. For those of you who don't have an Xbox, they tend to get really hot and have a fan on the top that let's out all the hot air. My ipad was covering the fan and the ipad was really hot, defiantly hotter than its ever been. So I immediately took it off, turned it off, and let it sit for about an hour, and it cooled down, and seems to work good right now. But I'm a little concerned about if this affected the battery or insides in any way. Could high temperatures affect the ipad in any negative way. I know I'm sounding kinda paranoid, but I just got it and want to keep it working its best

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
The Xbox would be more likely affected than the iPad, for covering the heat vent...iPad is fine...

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
My Xbox nearly melted my Halo 4 disk case. At least it's super quiet and efficient at heat dissipation. Microsoft knows how to make a console.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
My Xbox nearly melted my Halo 4 disk case. At least it's super quiet and efficient at heat dissipation. Microsoft knows how to make a console.

Yes. The numerous red rings of death for the last four years seems they indeed know how to make one. Their solution for the red ring of death......take out the red LEDs. :rolleyes: I own one so I'm just pointing out that out. I will give it that they are quiet. Not as quite as my rMBP though. I forget that thing even has a fan.

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Yes. The numerous red rings of death for the last four years seems they indeed know how to make one. Their solution for the red ring of death......take out the red LEDs. :rolleyes: I own one so I'm just pointing out that out. I will give it that they are quiet. Not as quite as my rMBP though. I forget that thing even has a fan.

I have to agree here. I'm currently on my 5th Xbox and I really hope it lasts until the next generation. And I'm actually doing really good because I've met people who're on their 12 or 13th Xbox.

Sony definitely did a better job this go-round in QC because I'm still on my release-day PS3.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
I have to agree here. I'm currently on my 5th Xbox and I really hope it lasts until the next generation. And I'm actually doing really good because I've met people who're on their 12 or 13th Xbox.

I'm only on my second ... do you guys have really dusty houses?

I am a bit disappointed at the reliability of modern consoles. I'm pretty sure my NES from the 80s still works.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
im still on my 1st PS3, stopped replacing my XboxS when i got to number 5 RROD, sold it and have lived without the 3 games that i could only get on the Xbox (Crackdown, Crackdown 2 and Halo3) (my wii might still work, but ive not had it plugged in in like 2 years once the initial novelty wore off after about 2 days)

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I'm only on my second ... do you guys have really dusty houses?

Well consider yourself lucky. I used to keep all my previous Xboxes in a compartment under my television stand, but I've kept my most recent one out in the open air, sitting on a little flat table. Hopefully that will help it's longevity.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

The new ones, at least. The old ones were loud, hot, and unreliable.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
I'm on my second Xbox, my first was a 20gb launch day console that never skipped a beat and was traded in fully working for a slim when that was released.
I know the rrod is a real issue but if they're kept we'll ventilated and dust free they're fine.

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota
As others said, I would of been more worried about my XBOX overheating!

I'm on my 4th Elite which I originally bought on launch date. Luckily it was replaced every time under warranty and I haven't had any issues since. *knock on wood*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.