Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:28 AM   #76
CplBadboy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland
So thats the geezer who's responsible for the dog awful, overpriced, cheaply made over rated headphones.
__________________
27" iMac 3.5Ghz, 24GB RAM, 3TB FD, OS XMavericks, Windows 8.1 | MBA 1.7Ghz i7 | 8GB RAM | 500GB, Blackbook 2.16Ghz | 4GB RAM | 750GB Momentus XT HDD 2nd Gen | OS X Lion | AppleTV 2 | iPhone 4s
CplBadboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:36 AM   #77
monkor
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokako View Post
Bose and Beats are crap - there is no argument. We can try and educate kids about getting scammed in life by helping fading celebrities get richer but why bother let them learn, let them spend hundreds on crap headphones only to discover later that what they really needed was the headphones the artists use in the studio - SONY MDR-7506 for $99 they're professional not consumer, they're neutral not artificial. But if children want to play puppet drone let em, let them learn like we did, life's a short ride if I could do it all over again I'd listen to people warning me about buying ego driven celebrity endorsed *****
Meh. While I agree with you to an extent, I have some AKG Q701's, and while they're, well, they're AKG Q701's, they also have their cons. I've got some Beats by Dre, too. They're plenty good for the average user, and they have their cons. Everyone listens to music differently, but the headphones aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be.
__________________
iPhone 5S - 32 GB, MBP
monkor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:51 AM   #78
uk_blaster
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
I call BS.

Now that Jobs is dead, you're going to see allot of people coming out and saying, "I told Steve to do this and I told Steve to do that." etc. etc.

Iovine is a business man. If he had such an awesome idea, he'd have kept it and tried to develop it himself. IMO.

He certainly saw the business opportunity to involve himself with a overpriced, mediocre product like Beats.
uk_blaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:54 AM   #79
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkor View Post
Meh. While I agree with you to an extent, I have some AKG Q701's, and while they're, well, they're AKG Q701's, they also have their cons. I've got some Beats by Dre, too. They're plenty good for the average user, and they have their cons. Everyone listens to music differently, but the headphones aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be.
For the price they charge, I think peoples opinion of them are pretty spot on. Average headphones priced for people who dont have a clue.
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:55 AM   #80
bigcat318
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
I think it is because they don't make enough money to be able to afford them.
You got me, I could afford the $2700 iMac but not the Beats headphones
bigcat318 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:55 AM   #81
GenesisST
macrumors 65816
 
GenesisST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where I live
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post
Maybe you should learn how to listen to Rap music.
**** no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post
Maybe you're not cool enough for em.[COLOR="#808080"]
I don't need them to say if I'm cool or not. I'm totally cool with the way I am and what I like.
__________________
Kenmore microwave, Frigidaire oven, Fisher & Paykel fridge, LG washer & Dryer and Crane toilet
GenesisST is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:56 AM   #82
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
I think it is because they don't make enough money to be able to afford them.
Or people would like to spend money on headphones that live up to the pricetag If I wanted beats quality headphones, I'd pay the £20 they are worth. As it stands my DT 770 Pro's are fine for my needs and were at a fair pricetag for the quality level you get.
rmwebs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:57 AM   #83
iGrip
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Aren't we all.
Some more than others.

I think that you are trying to minimize the money-grubbing aspect of Steve's personality by responding that "all" people are similar in that regard.

I would disagree. IMO, the one defining aspect of Steve was his lust for the big bucks. When Woz was a guy who was content with inventing incredible technology, Steve was a guy who wanted nothing more than to monetize his friend's ideas.

What made Steve great was his ability to be a profit-generating CEO of a huge behemoth of a corporation. That is his defining characteristic: he knew how to turn a buck.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:02 AM   #84
rmwebs
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albright View Post
Heh, before I saw this article, I thought Beats were made by the Monster Cable people… they seem to use similar marketing strategies.
They were. Monster used to make all Beats products but their license ended at the end of 2012:

Quote:
Its products were manufactured under exclusive license by consumer electronics company Monster Cable since 2009. Beats has not renewed its five year contract with Monster, which ended late 2012. The company now manufactures all of its products themselves.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beats_Electronics)
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:05 AM   #85
Rogifan
macrumors 604
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
I thought this thread was about a subscription music service, not who's headphones are the best according to audiophiles. :confused

I use Spotify every day. Love it. Not sure what would make an Apple subscription service better other than having a larger library of music? But if an artist doesn't allow their music to be streamed via Spotify would they allow it wit Apple?
__________________
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Rogifan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:36 AM   #86
RabbitLuvr
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I used to use Pandora, and it was fine, but I've recently switched to Spotify. I use the free version, as I don't mind the ad-supported model. Free Spotify on mobile lets me listen the same way Pandora did, and on the desktop I can select what I want to hear. I like this flexibility.
I also prefer Spotify over Pandora because it integrates with my Last.fm account easily.

I would not pay Apple for a "curated" streaming service when I can get the same thing from Pandora/Spotify for free, especially when I can also get the on-demand service from Spotify (desktop). They would have to bring an awful lot to the table to get me to switch. The iTunes catalog might be bigger, but I'm happy with what Spotify offers me.

Between Spotify, Last.fm, friends, and a mostly music-centric forum I'm on, I've got new music discovery covered.

Though I will say it seems Last.fm is having quite a lot of issues lately, and I probably wouldn't mind if Apple bought it and made it more awesome.
RabbitLuvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:40 AM   #87
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
Unles apple plans on adding a spotify like service where we can CHOOSE what songs we want then no thanks on and service from apple

Why the hell would I want to pay apple for a pandora radio program?
The best part of Spotify is that they even have ancient out of print stuff and are international.

Try that from the US itunes store!
__________________
It's ready, when it's ready !
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." — Benjamin Franklin
Thunderhawks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:52 AM   #88
powers74
macrumors 68000
 
powers74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At the bend in the river
Send a message via AIM to powers74
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post
Dr Dre, Birdman, Jay-Z, 50 cent

These are just some names with a higher net worth than any of the artists you listen to. Maybe all the artists you listen to combined. They also invested in a lot of ventures outside of music. Dre with Beats. 50 cent with Vitamine Water. Jay-z...
Invested in? Invested in... I think what you mean is their Agents/producers/labels use them to market certain sounds and certain products to certain demographics... which makes me wonder if Jimmy is also the man behind this...
__________________
“What do you think, Phil? Too much?”
powers74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:54 AM   #89
Aluminum213
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
The best part of Spotify is that they even have ancient out of print stuff and are international.

Try that from the US itunes store!
spotify have remixes, mixtapes, and a lot of obscure stuff also, it's great


and they have their own radio features, so again I ask. Why would anyone pay for a radio only service from apple?


now if Apple were to offer a spotify-like streaming service with iTunes library? then I'd drop spotify in a heart beat for it
__________________
iPad Air | 32GB | LTE
2012 iMac 27" | i7 | 3.4Ghz | Fusion | 32GB RAM | 680MX
2010 MacBook Pro 13"
iPhone 5 | Black | 32GB TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:00 AM   #90
dxstewart
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: green hill zone.
Maybe Apple finally has plans for Lala...
__________________
allow me to introduce myself...
dxstewart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:09 AM   #91
iAco
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
Sennheiser is a cheaper Bose? What? Seriously? You're joking, right?

Bose is at the very bottom of the totem pole when it comes to quality. They're so far at the bottom they're fighting with Beats to get a peak out from under the dirt just so someone will notice them.

Sennheiser is light years beyond Bose. Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Grado, AKG.. all names that are so much better than Bose in every way possible that there literally is no comparison between Bose and the other brands.

This: http://intellexual.net/bose.html article is still relevant today. Bose is pure junk and no one would should buy their products. I recently had a car salesman try to push a car with a Bose audio system as a perk. I asked him if he'd knock money off because of the junk audio system pre-installed and he stormed off.

Bose is pure, unadulterated junk.
No. You are wrong. You were born wrong. Lived wrong. And I am trying to save you from dying wrong!

I'm a huge audiophile. I owned every "good" headphone on the planet.

Comparing the three listed, Bose beats all of them in sound quality. This is from expericing listening to a wide range of music. The QC15 always sounded better and were ALWAYS most comfortable. How about you buy all three headphones and try it yourself for half a year. Because that's what I did. Bose was best in that case.

HOWEVER!

If you want audiophile quality and portability, I suggest you get what I have:

Denon D7000
NuForce Icon iDo DAC
FLAC Player app

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian. View Post
It may just be your opinion but:
I've never read so much BS in one post before.
Nah. You just don't know anything.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestys View Post
Wow, you seriously have no idea what you're talking about. Sennheiser are one of the most respected headphone companies in the world and produce some of the best headphones, ask any audiophile. Bose are no different to beats overpriced crap, the only thing they have going for them is their marketing and a good example of that is the statement you just made.
You're poor.

Poor people buy Sennheiser.

People with strong taste and wealth listen to true audiophile quality: Dennon D7000 w/ DAC & FLAC audio.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by powers74 View Post
Invested in? Invested in... I think what you mean is their Agents/producers/labels use them to market certain sounds and certain products to certain demographics... which makes me wonder if Jimmy is also the man behind this...
When you're famous your fame is a currency in itself.

Dr Dre may not have invented the "Beats" brand but he put his name on it. And if the product flopped, he flopped.

One cannot exist without the other. It's like Woz and Jobs. Engineering and Marketing.




****


One thing I'd like to add is that Beats has the best build quality you'll find in any cheap headphones (under $500).

Monster did a fantastic job with that. It compares to the build quality of my Denon D7000s which cost me $1K.

Last edited by iAco; Jan 11, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
iAco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:15 AM   #92
scott911
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState View Post
And incredibly bad headphones that have been marketed brilliantly.
disappointed to see apple partnering with beats...
I often see what I assume are beat rip offs on craig's list, and can't help but thinking the knock offs must sound more accurate that the genuine beats.

meanwhile - companies that do it right - Grado - sell superior product at a fraction of the price, and are nearly unknown.

Last edited by scott911; Jan 11, 2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: correcting grado spelling.
scott911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:17 AM   #93
kas23
macrumors 603
 
kas23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_blaster View Post
I call BS.

Now that Jobs is dead, you're going to see allot of people coming out and saying, "I told Steve to do this and I told Steve to do that." etc. etc.

Iovine is a business man. If he had such an awesome idea, he'd have kept it and tried to develop it himself. IMO.

He certainly saw the business opportunity to involve himself with a overpriced, mediocre product like Beats.
Umm, he is developing it and should be out sometime this year.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,305852.story
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:26 AM   #94
scott911
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post
No. You are wrong. You were born wrong. Lived wrong. And I am trying to save you from dying wrong!

I'm a huge audiophile. I owned every "good" headphone on the planet.

Comparing the three listed, Bose beats all of them in sound quality. This is from expericing listening to a wide range of music. The QC15 always sounded better and were ALWAYS most comfortable. How about you buy all three headphones and try it yourself for half a year. Because that's what I did. Bose was best in that case.

.

The claim of "huge audiophile" and being pro-bose are not compatible!

I'd normally not bother to respond, bu your obnoxious 'born wrong, live wrong' to fellow poster indicate you yourself are in need of some education.

Bose has partly hung on to some of there former value in the noise reduction technology presently used in cans for flying businessmen - I will give you that. But otherwise, bose is a over hyped (but super well marketed, they got you hook line and sinker after all) bottom feeder in the audio business.
scott911 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:35 AM   #95
iAco
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott911 View Post
The claim of "huge audiophile" and being pro-bose are not compatible!

I'd normally not bother to respond, bu your obnoxious 'born wrong, live wrong' to fellow poster indicate you yourself are in need of some education.

Bose has partly hung on to some of there former value in the noise reduction technology presently used in cans for flying businessmen - I will give you that. But otherwise, bose is a over hyped (but super well marketed, they got you hook line and sinker after all) bottom feeder in the audio business.
Nope. You're wrong too.

Compare the QC15 to Beats and Sennheisers with the same price tag, and the QC15 will sound and feel better. It's also about comfort. When you listen to music for a long time you don't want the blood in your head to boil (heat generation) or your ears crushed by crappy cushions.

I factored everything in. The complete experience down to the frequencies that are pumped into your ears. Bose, between three in its class, wins.

Educate yourself. I can crush you with the flick of a wit.
iAco is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:38 AM   #96
scott911
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga!! View Post
I think it's funny that so many people are bashing on Beats products, it's like everyone hates this product for some reason... Frustrated much?
I think it is frustration...
This of it like this, hypothetically... If people began to evangelize eMachines over Macs because eMachines came out with super marketing.

You'd be frustrated too if you saw your friends (and forum buddies) falling hook, line and sinker for the marketing hype and buying trash product as a result.

Ironically, this example turned out weird, because Apple is a super marketer too, it's just fortunate that they also make great product!

----------

I wanted to reply to give you the satisfaction of knowing that I read your reply; because I doubt you have much else satisfying in your sorry little life. And I'm all about making you as happy as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post
Nope. You're wrong too.

Compare the QC15 to Beats and Sennheisers with the same price tag, and the QC15 will sound better. It's also about comfort. When you listen to music for a long time you don't want the blood in your head to boil or your ears crushed by crappy cushions.

I factored everything in. The complete experience down to the frequencies that are pumped into your ears. Bose, between three in its class, wins.

Educate yourself. I can crush you with the flick of a wit.
scott911 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:43 AM   #97
iAco
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott911 View Post
I think it is frustration...
This of it like this, hypothetically... If people began to evangelize eMachines over Macs because eMachines came out with super marketing.

You'd be frustrated too if you saw your friends (and forum buddies) falling hook, line and sinker for the marketing hype and buying trash product as a result.

Ironically, this example turned out weird, because Apple is a super marketer too, it's just fortunate that they also make great product!

----------

I wanted to reply to give you the satisfaction of knowing that I read your reply; because I doubt you have much else satisfying in your sorry little life. And I'm all about making you as happy as possible.
Keep rolling down the clueless road buddy!
iAco is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:52 AM   #98
bazinga!!
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
They make really bad products. It's just that simple.

Not frustrated much at all. Just pointing out an inferior product and taking a stand against the propaganda machine promoting this hype.

Rappers don't even make quality music. Why should we trust them to make good products ?

Sorry "Dr." Dre ....But you didn't even pass MIDDLE SCHOOL , much less high school or college. Why exactly would I trust you to produce anything of quality ? ? ?
Jesus Christ, where do I even begin?

It doesn't ****ing matter if Dre passed middle school or not because he is an extremely successful businessman and rapper, he accomplished more than you probably ever will. And if he wants to call himself Dr.Dre, so what? This isn't a topic about artist names.
You're also stating that rappers don't even make quality music... That's a little bit childish, don't you think?
I even wonder if you ever tried Beats headphones, they are not that inferior to whatever headphones you get for the same price, but I guess it's easy to bash on something you don't even know, because... you're bored?
__________________
13" MBP late 2011 thunderbolt display iPhone 4S 16gb white iPod nano 6th gen iPad mini
bazinga!! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:00 AM   #99
Macrolido
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
I hate subscription services, I like to own the music I hear.
Macrolido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:00 AM   #100
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
My beats broke after 2 months, and they wouldn't take them back under warranty.

not a fan
__________________
New convert, and never turning back!!!
Navdakilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC