Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:41 PM   #126
iAco
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I'm referring to the metalic headphones. Not the plastic ones.
iAco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:55 PM   #127
cgc
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post
iTunes brought in 7.5 billion in revenue for 2012, so I would beg to differ.
That was apps, not music downloads. I don't see why Apple can't do both (e.g. sell outright and stream for monthly fee).
__________________
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult
cgc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:00 PM   #128
AppliedMicro
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I don't see why Apple can't do both (e.g. sell outright and stream for monthly fee).
Isn't that what they are already doing?

First selling you music outright on iTunes.
And then charging you a monthly* fee to stream to you with iTunes Match?





* OK, so the fee is yearly, not monthly
AppliedMicro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:39 PM   #129
Add-Delay
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
The problem with the streaming services is that the artist gets absolutely jack. That might not matter so much for chart topping pop artists who have countless additional revenue streams (huge concerts, endorsements, appearances, etc.) but for the majority of artists who have to survive on less than a traditional 9-5 job it matters a lot.

According to this article by Damon Krukowski (of Galaxie 500 and Damon & Naomi), to make the same amount of money as selling one LP they need 47,680 plays on Spotify and an incredible 312,000 plays on Pandora.
http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/8993-the-cloud/
Add-Delay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:25 PM   #130
Galatian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post
The money is in the material. Not assembly. China is assembly labor. $90/mo/peasant (50+hrs/wk).

Depending on the materials you use, and believe the list is infinite, and how you engineer it (eg you can use square drivers over circles to push more volume), is what determines the price and performance.

You can get a plasma speaker and enjoy 0 Ohms. Crystal clear sound but lacks bass. But this is just an example of "materials" used and the technology that produces the sound. It's more complicated for headphones because you're moving so little air. I'm talking about bass specifically (as the OP discusses Beats). For good bass in any headphone it must be around ear. With good seal/suction. The oval shape in the Bose QC15 is very good at this. Your ears aren't circles. They are gonna fit better in ovals. This is why I think the comfort level on them is second to none. Those big circular cans/cushions, as you see in the Beats or some Sinneisers, rest against parts of your ear (not head) and that can get irritating/heated. Mind you I'm only talking about cheap headphones (under $400). If you get something like the D7000 or HiFiMan HE-6, those cans are huge and will surely fit comfortably. In some cases you can replace the cushion with cooling-gel in it. This will keep your head cool. Once again, more on materials...

You can buy a plasma speaker, custom made, for $5-10K. But I think that's enormously stupid.

Just saying...

Image
Against all better judgement and everything I have said before: you do have some nice cans

Still: material cost is nothing...just some plastic and metal and manufacturing headphones and tuning them acoustically is much easier then say loudspeaker. Whenever it comes to some ~phile you always get into an area off diminishing returns and people are getting ripped off. Even when you go over on head-fi you see people being very divided there. I mean cryo cables? Really?
__________________
iPhone 5S Gold 64 GB -- 13" retina MacBook Pro
Galatian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:37 PM   #131
iAco
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
Against all better judgement and everything I have said before: you do have some nice cans

Still: material cost is nothing...just some plastic and metal and manufacturing headphones and tuning them acoustically is much easier then say loudspeaker. Whenever it comes to some ~phile you always get into an area off diminishing returns and people are getting ripped off. Even when you go over on head-fi you see people being very divided there. I mean cryo cables? Really?
I use cryo cables. I mean why not? If you can, why not? But yes that is complete overkill. Most people aren't ~philes.

I do gotta say the Dolby ATMOS with its 116 surround sound speakers is the best thing that ever happened to my ears outside headphones. :P
iAco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:44 PM   #132
Galatian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post
I use cryo cables. I mean why not? If you can, why not? But yes that is complete overkill. Most people aren't ~philes.

I do gotta say the Dolby ATMOS with its 116 surround sound speakers is the best thing that ever happened to my ears outside headphones. :P
Why spend money in bogus things? I guess we both just have a completly different feeling what the value of hard earned money is. So I'll leave with that...
Galatian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:48 PM   #133
fiddlestyx
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minnesota
How would Apple make a streaming music service better? Pandora gets the job done for me without any issues, not sure what they could bring to the table that would make me switch.
__________________
| 2011 Mac Mini i7 | 32GB iPad (4th Gen) | 16GB iPhone 4S |
fiddlestyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:11 PM   #134
iAco
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatian View Post
Why spend money in bogus things? I guess we both just have a completly different feeling what the value of hard earned money is. So I'll leave with that...
Why spend your hard earned money on a Apple computer when you can get the same at 1/3 the price? Both do the exact same thing. The experience differs.

Same applies to cables. Cryo cables look great and I would assume there is some science that explains why it was introduced to the world in the first place (over traditional copper (twines))

If it wasn't for cable innovation we wouldn't be able to discuss this thousands of miles apart.


Needless to say, spending money is a good thing. And I encourage you to spend more of it! You don't want the German economy to stagnate. By all means keep that money moving, especially into the US by buying Apple! That'll make up for that lovely S7 in my driveway...

Oh boy. I can praise the S7's beauty and the Schwaben build quality like I do headphones and everything else insanely great!

Last edited by iAco; Jan 11, 2013 at 09:25 PM.
iAco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:16 PM   #135
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603
 
AppleScruff1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobtodd View Post
The only thing "Beats" bring to the Apple store is thieving scum who steal the **** out of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState View Post
And incredibly bad headphones that have been marketed brilliantly.
And they sell them at the Apple store. Hmmmm....
AppleScruff1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:27 PM   #136
HenryDJP
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post
No.



No? No what? You don't have to agree with me but you won't get a lot of people that will disagree nor will you get a lot of people that will agree with you either. In case you already remembered to care I'm referring to those rappers you call "wannabes" and those Bose headphones you think are so far superior to the rest in the industry and that's just plain wrong.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:56 PM   #137
iAco
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
No? No what? You don't have to agree with me but you won't get a lot of people that will disagree nor will you get a lot of people that will agree with you either. In case you already remembered to care I'm referring to those rappers you call "wannabes" and those Bose headphones you think are so far superior to the rest in the industry and that's just plain wrong.
I dislike the word wannabe. That just carries a lot of negativity and stupid people use it. Either you rap, or you don't. No such thing as wannabe. Its like me calling you a wannabe Apple enthusiast.

You haven't gone through some of the previous posts I wrote earlier. I am not saying the Bose headphones are the best in the industry.

I'm saying the Bose QC15 at $300 will be a better value for the buyer than the Beats/Sin counterparts (in the $300 range). Superior comfort, noise cancellation, and great blend of sound! That's it.

Last edited by iAco; Jan 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Moderator action
iAco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:18 AM   #138
Cisco_Kid
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post

Maybe you should learn how to listen to Rap music.
Eww crap music....
__________________
Sundays are for fishing,
Cisco_Kid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:11 AM   #139
Galatian
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post
Why spend your hard earned money on a Apple computer when you can get the same at 1/3 the price? Both do the exact same thing. The experience differs.

Same applies to cables. Cryo cables look great and I would assume there is some science that explains why it was introduced to the world in the first place (over traditional copper (twines))

If it wasn't for cable innovation we wouldn't be able to discuss this thousands of miles apart.


Needless to say, spending money is a good thing. And I encourage you to spend more of it! You don't want the German economy to stagnate. By all means keep that money moving, especially into the US by buying Apple! That'll make up for that lovely S7 in my driveway...

Oh boy. I can praise the S7's beauty and the Schwaben build quality like I do headphones and everything else insanely great!
Yeah well you are kind of making my point:

Apple has a great buildt quality and has different software and hardware then PCs. I can't get a high DPI screen, in such a small chassis with such great battery life like I do with my 13" rMBP on any Windows Notebook. It was a now brained to me, as I work heavily with text and pictures everyday and In getting a good rebate through Apple on Campus. I would however not spend the normal price on it, because 2000$ just doesn't feel right. I don't feel like I get the same value in return when spending that much money.

Cables are something different. It has been scientifically proven, that cryo cables are bogus. It's just electrons moving through the cable. If you want something "superior" to cooper, get silver wires, but I really doubt it will make any difference, evaluate after all, it'a still just electrons moving through the wire. You are falling for their advertisement. You don't even know what they do with the cables. They probably just buy them cheaply on bulk, manufacture them by hand with some fancy connector and sell it to you for 500$. It's simply a rip of and no value what so ever. And while in act spending money is certainly good for economy on normal scale, this kind of behavior actually leads to inflation...basic business science...

But alas I see there is probably not a point in discussing this any further. You live in your in world so by all means, do however you please.
Galatian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:41 PM   #140
iAco
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco_Kid View Post
Eww crap music....
Ewww.. you!
iAco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:18 PM   #141
MrDc2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
If you don't like Beats you're racist against African-Americans. It's that simple.
MrDc2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:39 AM   #142
cgc
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedMicro View Post
Isn't that what they are already doing?

First selling you music outright on iTunes.
And then charging you a monthly* fee to stream to you with iTunes Match?





* OK, so the fee is yearly, not monthly
They're doing the same thing as Amazon's AutoRipper but not streaming where I can pay monthly or yearly and listen to anything I want, not just the music I bought.
__________________
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult
cgc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:48 AM   #143
Howdee
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState View Post
And incredibly bad headphones that have been marketed brilliantly.
A lot of people also say the same about iProducts in general. lol Great marketing, branding, great housing, but the guts are sub-par.
Howdee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:05 AM   #144
EbookReader
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012


Spotify will have around 7 million paying subscribers by the end of this year.

7 million paying on average $120 a year = $840 million a year


Subscription will coexist with legal downloads and CD purchase. But with the rise of smartphone, subscription services are also becoming more popular.
EbookReader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:25 PM   #145
AppliedMicro
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
They're doing the same thing as Amazon's AutoRipper but not streaming where I can pay monthly or yearly and listen to anything I want, not just the music I bought.
Sure.
But why would they offer "unlimited" (more or less) streaming?
I don't think it makes sense for iTunes/Amazon from a business perspective (yet).

Purchasing songs/albums has only recently become "mainstream", even among non-technophile and/or older people. The average Joe has - only recently - moved from CD purchases to Amazon/iTunes Download purchases (if they are still paying for music rather than pirating, that is). And a lot of them are still entrenched in the idea of "owning" their music. So this mainstream crowd are the customers to whom Amazon and iTunes are catering to: by selling individual songs & albums. The matching functionality to move your existing collection over is sold as an "add-on".

I guess that makes them more money in the end than offering a subscription service. Especially when you consider that Apple is still making and selling lots of non-streaming capable hardware (iPods) which the streaming services aren't.
AppliedMicro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:42 AM   #146
cgc
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedMicro View Post
Sure.
But why would they offer "unlimited" (more or less) streaming?
I don't think it makes sense for iTunes/Amazon from a business perspective (yet).

Purchasing songs/albums has only recently become "mainstream", even among non-technophile and/or older people. The average Joe has - only recently - moved from CD purchases to Amazon/iTunes Download purchases (if they are still paying for music rather than pirating, that is). And a lot of them are still entrenched in the idea of "owning" their music. So this mainstream crowd are the customers to whom Amazon and iTunes are catering to: by selling individual songs & albums. The matching functionality to move your existing collection over is sold as an "add-on".

I guess that makes them more money in the end than offering a subscription service. Especially when you consider that Apple is still making and selling lots of non-streaming capable hardware (iPods) which the streaming services aren't.
Justing looking at the popularity of streaming sites shows it's a great potential revenue stream. People listen to the radio without owning the songs...
__________________
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult
cgc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:41 PM   #147
cpuguy18
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDc2 View Post
If you don't like Beats you're racist against African-Americans. It's that simple.
im black beats suck.
cpuguy18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:55 PM   #148
MrDc2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuguy18 View Post
im black beats suck.
You racist
MrDc2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:24 PM   #149
cpuguy18
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDc2 View Post
You racist
Bose QC15 is better.
cpuguy18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:45 PM   #150
MrDc2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuguy18 View Post
Bose QC15 is better.
You still racist.

<jk jk >
MrDc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC