Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Once I bought my ipad I realized that I could do plenty of the activities that I did on my Mac Air on my ipad. With the ipad I don't have to worry about the battery or carrying it around with it's charger either.

makes regret getting a upgrade air. I guess it will last longer.

Anyone eles use their laptops/desktops way less once they got a ipad?

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
Once I bought my ipad I realized that I could do plenty of the activities that I did on my Mac Air on my ipad. With the ipad I don't have to worry about the battery or carrying it around with it's charger either.

makes regret getting a upgrade air. I guess it will last longer.

Anyone eles use their laptops/desktops way less once they got a ipad?

I used my iPad much more then my PC laptop, but after getting my 11"MBA my iPad has become a dust collector. :D

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
The main difference for me is that Ipad can do more stuff without internet connection.

My laptop is practically useless if the connection is down or malfunction. i can watch movie on it for i chose not to. With Ipad, you can still play many offline games.

U know what, thats all i can think of. The only diff is that Ipad has more games. to be honest, i still use my laptop a lot. I think about as equal as my Ipad. Ipad for main use in bed, reading, music and gaming.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I still use an iPad and mbp, but I use an iPad most of the time. I am little concerned about using an iPad too much would damage it. :apple:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I still use an iPad and mbp, but I use an iPad most of the time. I am little concerned about using an iPad too much would damage it. :apple:

Damage it how? You've got 1 year to use the absolute crap of it and if something happens, Apple will swap it. :apple:

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Used my iPad 1 everyday, 5-7 hours a day for 3 years and its worked perfect unil the day I sold it...

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Damage it how? You've got 1 year to use the absolute crap of it and if something happens, Apple will swap it. :apple:

I don't have an AppleCare or any warranty for iPad. Damaged by dead pixels, LCD faded out, etc. :apple:

----------

With no moving parts, an iPad is much less likely to get worn out than a MBP :)

No moving parts? How about rear camera with shutter/auto-focus? :apple:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I don't have an AppleCare or any warranty for iPad. Damaged by dead pixels, LCD faded out, etc. :apple:

You don't have to. Apple covers it for the first year you own it. Why buy something if you're afraid to use it?

Also like someone else said, the MacBook is more likely to have damage than an iPad. :apple:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I bought it used with no warranty. :apple:

So you bought it to look at it? I just don't get what you're afraid of. I've owned 3 iPads and used them heavily and have never had any issues.

You can check the serial number with Apple and see if there's a warranty left on it. If it's an iPad mini or iPad (4th gen), it's guaranteed to have at least 10-11 months left. :apple:

flight

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
I've only had an iPad since April, but I've rapidly transitioned from desktop/laptop to tablet. I still edit RAW files on a Mac, but I use the iPad for almost everything else. It's just more enjoyable to use and I'm impressed at the capability/price ratio for many of the apps.

babybanana

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
UK
I bought my ipad mini on Wednesday and found a use for it for everything. I've already scanned a few pages that I needed for uni in it so no need to take my books in etc, downloaded a note-taking app so I can make notes in my own time at home in additional to the ones I've already written in class.

I've downloaded a few games, things like TV catchup, BBC iplayer etc and been watching these before bed.

Just so much more convenient than my laptop. I only use my laptop now to do my coursework otherwise It's not really necessary any longer to be honest.

----------

I bought my ipad mini on Wednesday and found a use for it for everything. I've already scanned a few pages that I needed for uni in it so no need to take my books in etc, downloaded a note-taking app so I can make notes in my own time at home in additional to the ones I've already written in class.

I've downloaded a few games, things like TV catchup, BBC iplayer etc and been watching these before bed.

Just so much more convenient than my laptop. I only use my laptop now to do my coursework otherwise It's not really necessary any longer to be honest.

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
I've used my laptop maybe twice in the last month since I bought my iPad. Mind you this is down season for me (photographer) so I know I will need it in the spring, but it's feeling pretty neglected right now.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The main difference for me is that Ipad can do more stuff without internet connection.

My laptop is practically useless if the connection is down or malfunction. i can watch movie on it for i chose not to. With Ipad, you can still play many offline games.

U know what, thats all i can think of. The only diff is that Ipad has more games. to be honest, i still use my laptop a lot. I think about as equal as my Ipad. Ipad for main use in bed, reading, music and gaming.

Any offline task you can do on an iPad, you can do on a computer.

Or did I misunderstad your point?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use my laptop just as much as before. The iPad is great at some things, not so much with other tasks.

Connecting to my servers at work, producing documents, running windows in a VM, some of which the iPad can do but not as well as a laptop mean my laptop will continue to see lots of action

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I use my iPad mainly for 'couch surfing' and gaming. I still use my RMBP heavily and that won't change as there are games on there that will never be released on an iPad that I use.

Work wise, my iPad takes notes for me and I use it read/respond to emails and check on our help desk to make sure my guys are responding and dealing with issues. I also use it as an additional monitor for my laptop when out on the road (Used to having four screens at my desk, so going to one can be a shock lol!)

But real productivity for things like editing/creating spreadsheets/word documents I rely on my laptop still. And unless MS release a iOS version of office that is seriously not 'featureless' then it will always be that way for me.

Arcsylver

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Chicago, IL
I use my iPad mini for surfing and such at work and on the train as well as my kindle reader for my apple training series manuals while I learn how to use Aperture, iLife, and iWork through the books. This way I can read the lesson while doing the work examples on my rMBP.

I also use it for couch surfing when I don't feel like sitting at my portable laptop desk or using my lap desk on the couch.

My mini is really my out and about computing device for the most part. I use it in place of my rMBP when I am not at home or don't feel like taking the rMBP with me in my bag (which is most of the time).

It really has made things much simpler for me having LTE on it so I am not using my iPhone to do web searches and surfing. I still use my Phone for streaming audio and video though due to unlimited data versus only 3GB on the iPad.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I got an iPad 4 for Christmas and I already had a 2011 11"MBA. I didn't think I would use the iPad much because the air is so portable already.

I tried using my iPad for work one day (need it for taking short notes, client schedules, PDFs basic spreadsheets) and since then my laptop has been collecting dust.

It's so much more mobile compared the MacBook Air in the sense that battery is soo much better! I could last maybe half a work day on the MacBook Air but the iPad gets me through the whole day nd then some! I usually have 20% left still by the time I go to bed.

The MacBook Air now is mainly used a hub. I download PDFs for work and put it in Dropbox then in my iPad I favorite those files so they are there even without wifi.

It's also great for use with client demonstrations and much more inviting than showing them something on my MacBook Air screen.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I use both, but my iPad + Logitech Ultrathin is my regular travel companion.

There are times when a full bodied desktop class OS is desirable. Like when editing or creating spreadsheets, which is a miserable experience on the iPad.

There are also many internet/web elements which flow better on a desktop OS, in addition to desktop tools being more robust.

Still, 75% of the time the iPad is just as capable and "more fun". I am playing on the forum with my Macbook Air and watching "Act of Valor" on the iPad.

susa

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
Yes OP!My laptops have been getting plenty of rest; the mini is so handy, and I'm on the 'net a lot more often. Just formatted and gave my MBA to the husband. He doesn't much care so long as he can browse and send emails, which is about all he ever did with the iMac I had got for him about 5 yrs ago. It had just started to develop a vertical line on the screen which didn't bother him, but was an excuse to get him to take and try out the MBA. Wish he could share in the joys of a tablet, but he is uninterested except that I enjoy it.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

I find it to be the opposite. I can do much more offline with my mbp than I can with my iPad

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I regret buying the rMBP15 when I could have bought a more powerful desktop with a larger display for a lot LESS.

For on the road or for simple media consumption the ipad is much better than a macbook. Battery life, mobility, price, wireless connectivity, games and UI makes the iPad a better device to carry around. And at home a desktop with large display is more practical and financially attractive than a macbook.

I could have literally saved thousands of dollars with the desktop+tablet combo

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
It is all about what you do with these devices.

If you don't use your laptop after you buy an ipad, then you simply don't have a need for a laptop... :)

Typing a lot of emails, creating powerpoints, reviewing complicated spreadsheets, multi-tasking, screen sharing (Skype, Gotomeeting, TeamViewer), etc... and an ipad is essentially useless.

My ipad is for watching videos, reading books, playing casual games, reading periodicals (MUCH more fun on an ipad than a PC)...

R

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.