Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I'm thinking about buying a decent digital camera. I own an iPhone 5 as well but the picture quality isn't all that great. Do you guys carry around a camera just for random photo-taking or use your phone nowadays?

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Sometimes, although my iPhone 5 does a great job. I also use an old Sony Cybershot and I also have a FujiFilm FinePix S too. They both have a lot of features that we use at family gatherings.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I gave my Cybershot to my son as the iPhone 5's camera does a good enough job for me.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Starting with the iPhone 4S, I stopped carrying a camera all around with me. well, scratch that... technically I DO carry a camera with me. It's in my phone.

I do still have a dSLR, but it's more for things where I'm planning to take lots of very high quality photos. For spontaneous things, the iPhone 4S and 5 because the first phones with cameras good enough to be by go-to for random, spur of the moment things.

----------

I own an iPhone 5 as well but the picture quality isn't all that great.

It's actually a great camera, just a finicky one that requires some finesse to get great photos out of it. Or you can get one of the many camera apps from the App Store that make it easier to deal with. You can always look on Flickr for a selection of amazing photos from iPhone 5 users.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Random = most people don't want the extra bulk for a "random" shot.

OTOH any serious purposeful photographer needs a manual mode camera so you have full artistic control and a tripod, and am unanimous on that. :)

Lloyd50

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
I do(canon 1dx), I'd call myself the exception. The iPhone is more than enough camera in my opinion.

androcathr

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
I rather not carry any additional devices on me.
a13.jpg

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I broke my camera in 2010...never bought another one. My iPhone 5 takes great pictures and videos. I do however have a DSLR, but that's a high-level camera a phone could never substitute.

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
unless its an slr or a large sense compact.. no.

the quality you get from a point and shoot is going to be about the same as a medium end compact.

however... if your serious about photography and want to carry a dedicated camera, get an expensive one or just use the iphone.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
It all depends on what sort of photos you are planning to take. The camera in the iPhone 5 takes great snapshots. However, for serious work, my faithful Canon 30D and lenses does a superb job.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Have always iPhone/iPad/iPod around me for the quick shot. My real camera is far to heavy to carry everyday to office.
That one is more for planned shootings; and don't have video.

desi1

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
England
For everyday snapshots, the iPhone 5 is more than enough for me, even my old iPhone 4 was good enough. I've got a nikon D700 for when I need to do serious stuff.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I don't carry a seperate camera. They are big and bulky (even the "compact" ones) and aren't very "smart". I can easily share the photos taken with my iPhone, not so much with a seperate camera. The process of connecting your camera to your computer and copying every photo to your hard drive is a hassle for me.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
There are times you need the "real thing" especially in compromised light and distance. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357903854.554907.jpg

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The iPhone 5 is an excellent camera that is always with me for snapshots and quick video. For serious work I use my Canon 5D3. :cool:

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Of course, I use a Olympus OMD EM-5. While the iPhone 5 has a decent camera, it does not compare the quality of a good camera. The sensor is much larger, the autofocus is much much faster. The focal lengths and aperture are all superior. I find myself shooting in low light situations and a camera phone just can't handle that as well as a good digital camera. I can boost the ISO to keep the shutter speed fast and capture the image :)

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
I have an 19 month old and I like to capture everything cute she does, so of course I carry a camera.

It has an Apple on it and also makes phone calls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.