Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

self

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
So I was browsing a photo album in Google+ with Safari (6.0.2) and noticed the images were a bit pixelated. As if they were not antialiased. Very noticeable on straight, high-contrast edges. And I think it might be happening on other pages wherever there's a rescaled image.

I downloaded Chrome and it didn't have the problem. The images looked smooth.

Anyone else notice the problem?

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
So I was browsing a photo album in Google+ with Safari (6.0.2) and noticed the images were a bit pixelated. As if they were not antialiased. Very noticeable on straight, high-contrast edges. And I think it might be happening on other pages wherever there's a rescaled image.

I downloaded Chrome and it didn't have the problem. The images looked smooth.

Anyone else notice the problem?

This is an issue with the specific website you're on, not the browser. Most websites are still not retina optimized yet, though some, like Apple.com, are. You'll see this in Safari, Chrome, Opera, Firefox...you name it.

Some sites are only partially optimized for retina, like MacRumors. The forum, for instance, is not retina-optimized, but if you look at the logo, it's as clear as can be.

seedzeng

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Please help

I have my new retina macbook pro 13 inch........very pleased until i confront the choppy scrolling experience in sfarai

every time when I zoom in just a bit on a website, after the resampling, the scrolling becomes so choppy and annoying.

Is this a software problem or a problem of the crappy hardware???

Someone help

self

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
This is an issue with the specific website you're on, not the browser. Most websites are still not retina optimized yet, though some, like Apple.com, are. You'll see this in Safari, Chrome, Opera, Firefox...you name it.

Some sites are only partially optimized for retina, like MacRumors. The forum, for instance, is not retina-optimized, but if you look at the logo, it's as clear as can be.

I'm aware that most websites are not retina-optimized, but I'm not referring to logos etc, but the actual rescaled photo. In Safari, the photo is not antialiased and looks pretty bad. In Chrome, it's antialiased and looks normal (good).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.