Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 1, 2005, 04:26 PM   #1
slick316
macrumors 6502

Hynix Ram upgrade and RAID for PowerMac G5?...

My friend just bought a new PowerMac G5 dual 2.0GHz. I had a stick of Hynix PC3200 DDR from my Mac Mini that we installed in the G5, but of course it didn't work since memory needs to be installed in pairs. I was wondering if there was a place (other than Apple) to buy the same ram, another 512mb dimm. Trying to help my friend out with a cheap solution. If its not neccesary for the ram to be matched, I can easily order something from Newegg or Fry's or where ever.
Also, when he bought the PowerMac, the guy at CompUSA told him that the 2.0GHz model was NOT capable of RAID. Isn't the RAID on the PowerMac handled through Software? We want to make sure on this before he orders another hard drive.
Thanks in advance for the help.
slick316 is offline   0
Old Oct 1, 2005, 04:51 PM   #2
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

People have had luck with similar spec memory working in their PowerMac G5...

If you want to do RAID, get two high quality drives -- since the drives that usually ship with the machines sacrifice quality for quietness and cost.

Otherwise the RAID setting for these cheap drives (unless Apple upgraded quality lately) would best be mirroring.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 05:08 PM   #3
slick316
macrumors 6502

So if I get one 512mb dimm thats spec'd similarly to the PC3200 that I pulled from my Mac Mini, will that work fine together, or should I buy two of the same ram and not use the 512mb from the Mini?
The drive that shipped with the PowerMac is a 160GB Maxtor Diamond Max 10. I have only used Seagate and WD drives, I have two 36GB Raptor drives in a RAID 0 config in my Windows rig. How do these Maxtor drives fair? My friend will be using the drives in a RAID 1 configuration anyway for the mirroring, but I was just wondering about the Maxtor drives in general. He wants to spend as little as possible since he shelled out more than he should on a new computer, so buying two new drives wouldn't be feasible.
Also, would raptor drives work in the PowerMac?
slick316 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers