Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ize Buko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
I always use facetime with my girlfriend using my iphone 4 and never had a problem with it. However, I recently purchased a new iphone 5 and have noticed that facetime always keeps on lagging and most of the times I cannot hear what my girlfriend is saying. But whenever I switch back to my iphone 4 then all these facetime problems don't happen. Is this a common problem among iphone 5 users? and how to fix it?

Ize Buko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Both using the same wifi. Using iphone 5 facetime is sometimes so unbearable of constant lagging that I then switch back to iphone 4 which has better performance with facetime.

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Both using the same wifi. Using iphone 5 facetime is sometimes so unbearable of constant lagging that I then switch back to iphone 4 which has better performance with facetime.

Since you have both the 4 and 5 on the same Wifi, did you try doing a speed test on both phones to see if there was a connection issue with 5?

bsmith4832

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
North East, USA
I had a similar issue that got "better" but wasn't cured.

Mine was nearly unusable on my iPad and iPhone on my wifi. I was broadcasting G and N wireless. When I switched it back to strictly G, it got better. However, it still lags once every 5 min or so. It's annoying as hell. I'm sure it's an issue with my wifi and/or router but since my Facetime usage dropped to maybe only once a month, I stopped caring.

(Edit: I will add, I never had any problems on my 4 or 4S on the same wifi network)

If your speed tests are fine and Facetime works fine elsewhere, start playing with some router settings (if you know enough about that kind of stuff).

Ize Buko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Woah! I checked their speed and the iphone 5 is giving way faster download and upload speed. What I don't understand is why its performance on facetime is bad. Could this be an ios problem? or is this problem only happening to me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.