Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:58 AM   #1
keogh
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Welling, Kent, UK
Question Thunderbolt Mac Mini to Mini DisplayPort iMac 27" cable?

Howdy,

Sure this has been asked before, but what cable would I want to connect my Mac Mini late 2012 (Thunderbolt) to my 27" iMac mid-2010 Mini DisplayPort to use the iMac display in target mode?

Would a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC...e-20m?fnode=51) be fine? Or would I need to source out a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable?

I know thunderbolt is backwards compatible with Mini DP, and the fact I can't find the Mini DP to Mini DP cable on the Apple store suggests the Thunderbolt cable would be correct, but just like to check first?

ta
__________________
Mac Pro (Late 2013), QC, 512GB, 12GB, D300 ~ 27" Thunderbolt Display
Mac mini, Intel i7 @ 2.3GHz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM ~ Dell 27" U2713H
iPad Air 128GB | iPhone | iPod etc etc
keogh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:00 AM   #2
kylera
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
Quote:
Originally Posted by keogh View Post
Howdy,

Sure this has been asked before, but what cable would I want to connect my Mac Mini late 2012 (Thunderbolt) to my 27" iMac mid-2010 Mini DisplayPort to use the iMac display in target mode?

Would a Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC...e-20m?fnode=51) be fine? Or would I need to source out a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable?

I know thunderbolt is backwards compatible with Mini DP, and the fact I can't find the Mini DP to Mini DP cable on the Apple store suggests the Thunderbolt cable would be correct, but just like to check first?

ta
Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable is the way to go. To my knowledge, the TB PORT can do both TB and DP, but not the cable itself.
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac | PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz
Current iOS: iPad 4 3G 64GB | iPhone 4S 16GB

Last edited by kylera; Jan 11, 2013 at 05:31 AM.
kylera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:50 AM   #3
ybz90
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I may be wrong, but isn't this limited to 1080p output only?
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:53 AM   #4
keogh
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Welling, Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybz90 View Post
I may be wrong, but isn't this limited to 1080p output only?
2560x1600 tmk.

Apple don't sell the MDP to MDP cables anymore do they? So I'll have to find one elsewhere I suppose (eBay here I come).
__________________
Mac Pro (Late 2013), QC, 512GB, 12GB, D300 ~ 27" Thunderbolt Display
Mac mini, Intel i7 @ 2.3GHz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM ~ Dell 27" U2713H
iPad Air 128GB | iPhone | iPod etc etc
keogh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:55 AM   #5
ybz90
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by keogh View Post
2560x1600 tmk.

Apple don't sell the MDP to MDP cables anymore do they? So I'll have to find one elsewhere I suppose (eBay here I come).
Try Monoprice. It's where I get all my cables. Decent build quality, excellent prices.
ybz90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:57 AM   #6
keogh
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Welling, Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybz90 View Post
Try Monoprice. It's where I get all my cables. Decent build quality, excellent prices.
Not ideal for me though as I'm in the UK
__________________
Mac Pro (Late 2013), QC, 512GB, 12GB, D300 ~ 27" Thunderbolt Display
Mac mini, Intel i7 @ 2.3GHz, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM ~ Dell 27" U2713H
iPad Air 128GB | iPhone | iPod etc etc
keogh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Tags
imac 27", mac mini 2012, mini display port, thunderbolt

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
connect thunderbolt macbook pro to 27" mini displayport imac? jmck iMac 5 Dec 27, 2013 12:26 AM
Mini Displayport to Mini HDMI Cable? Does it exist? shenan1982 Mac Peripherals 4 Dec 27, 2012 12:40 PM
"Mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt to HDMI" adapters with 2160P support AppleMacFinder Mac Peripherals 3 Dec 16, 2012 06:56 PM
Brand new 13" MBA - Thunderbolt = Mini DisplayPort? BigYellow MacBook Air 2 Jun 16, 2012 06:01 PM
Old "mini displayport to hdmi" with thunderbolt port? V4705 MacBook Pro 2 Jun 12, 2012 09:36 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC