Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:32 PM   #201
775445
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
But in any case, let's be real - the iPad 4 is really the iPad 3.5. It's wasn't a big update.
I'm sorry, the iPad is really the iPad 3.5? So was the iPad 3 really just the iPad 2.5?

-iPad 4 benchmarks are more than double the graphical performance of the *underpowered* A5X processor (nevermind it's 1.3ghz vs. 1 ghz - I will concede that processor speed alone doesn't yield a whole lot of difference)
-iPad 4 radiates much less heat then the iPad 3 (I've used both extensively)
-iPad 4 has an HD front camera which, in real world use, makes a huge difference. FaceTime on the iPad is actually pretty pleasant now!
-iPad 4 has full Siri -- if you're in to that sort of thing
-iPad 4 has lightning. Biggest drawback for me to iPad 4 was lightning and new adapters, but I bit the bullet and can't wait til the next iPhone so I can dump all my 30 pin stuff (still using an iPhone 4).

If it only had a faster A5X I might agree with you, but with a brand new processor that's build on completely different architecture, new camera, WAY better graphics, less heat and lightning, it's hard to call the iPad 4 a 3.5. It was a BIG upgrade.
775445 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:33 PM   #202
TallManNY
macrumors 68000
 
TallManNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhandri View Post
they will lose so many customers if they keep releasing ipads every 5-6 months until now you knew your device would atleast be the newest for atleast 1 year.... now this just sucks
Wrong, they will gain so many customers by having their products always being technically ahead of or at least even with the competition.

Updates are driven by what is technically feasible. If new processors or form factors can be built (and iPhone 5 has probably taught them and their manufacturers many lessons) then those are what Apple should sell. Why would they continue to make something inferior when the new chips, for example, are available and cheap enough?
__________________
Mid-2011 3.1GHz i5 iMac (6970m); Late-2007 Macbook; HP Spectre (Win 8.1)
BBRY Q10; iPhone 5; iPad Mini-R
Apple Stockholder (a nice dividend, stock buybacks and cutting edge innovation? yes please!)
TallManNY is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:34 PM   #203
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-k View Post
The Galaxy SIII is sold with the quad-core processor in most places except the US, and i don't live there.

Why does it even matter that they're newer or a not sold in US phone? The person i quoted claimed that the iPhone 5 is the fastest cellphone on the planet.

And comparing to the iPad is just plain wrong since he said fastest phone, not tablet.
Because it adds context. Even the newer, faster phones are only marginally faster than the iPhone 5 Which was released almost half a year ago.
unobtainium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:34 PM   #204
Rogifan
macrumors 604
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BvizioN View Post
To keep up with the competation and make sure they stay ahead. Make improvements. Make it thinner, make it lighter and other stuff. But it doesn't mean you should look at your iPad 4 as a prehistoric tool! It is still that georgeous iPad you loved when you took out of the shiny box and you have no much reason to upgrade. On the other hand, me who is using iPad 2, my friend who is using first gen iPad (exapmle) and other millions would be more then happy with this news.
I don't have a 4th gen, I have a 3rd gen. To me the 4th gen was pointless other than to show off they're good and chip design.
__________________
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:35 PM   #205
ani4ani
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Derbyshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
I'm just asking, how is it outdated?

Name me one thing the ipad 4 can do which the iPad 3 cannot do. One thing.


It's not outdated if it has the full iOS functionality. This, in my opinion, is jealousy.
Use a lightning connector?

sorry couldn't help myself
ani4ani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:35 PM   #206
wkadamsjr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Diver View Post
They need to settle on a launch schedule.
What benefit is it to Apple to have a set "launch schedule"? If consumers know when the next product will be released several months in advance, they naturally won't buy (see: iPhone 4S Q3 2012 sales).

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorde View Post
The first iPad Mini was too little, too late. This is just playing catch up - again.
This statement is laughable at best. Tell it to the millions who have purchased iPad minis already.

Last edited by wkadamsjr; Jan 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM.
wkadamsjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:35 PM   #207
greg78x
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want300 View Post
I have an iPad 2... I skipped the 4th Gen waiting for the 5th... so I will be happy to see it in March.
I can understand why some people like to skip generations. Why bother upgrading if you're happy, right? However, there are a whole other large group of people waiting for people like us to sell our used apple products, and pay us good money for them!

I upgrade every other gen just because the resale value is so good with Apple. I'm amazed how much people pay for used iPhones and iPads. The upgrades almost pay for themselves!

Last edited by greg78x; Jan 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
greg78x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:36 PM   #208
Rogifan
macrumors 604
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 775445 View Post
I'm sorry, the iPad is really the iPad 3.5? So was the iPad 3 really just the iPad 2.5?

-iPad 4 benchmarks are more than double the graphical performance of the *underpowered* A5X processor (nevermind it's 1.3ghz vs. 1 ghz - I will concede that processor speed alone doesn't yield a whole lot of difference)
-iPad 4 radiates much less heat then the iPad 3 (I've used both extensively)
-iPad 4 has an HD front camera which, in real world use, makes a huge difference. FaceTime on the iPad is actually pretty pleasant now!
-iPad 4 has full Siri -- if you're in to that sort of thing
-iPad 4 has lightning. Biggest drawback for me to iPad 4 was lightning and new adapters, but I bit the bullet and can't wait til the next iPhone so I can dump all my 30 pin stuff (still using an iPhone 4).

If it only had a faster A5X I might agree with you, but with a brand new processor that's build on completely different architecture, new camera, WAY better graphics, less heat and lightning, it's hard to call the iPad 4 a 3.5. It was a BIG upgrade.
So big that they need to do it again 6 months later?
__________________
"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." - William F. Buckley, Jr.

Last edited by WildCowboy; Jan 15, 2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: fixed changed user name
Rogifan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:36 PM   #209
Popeye206
macrumors 68020
 
Popeye206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NE PA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
An iPad or computer is a tool not a status symbol or investment.
Your tool does its job just as well as the day you bought it.
+1

Make no sense when people complain just because something new is (or may) be coming out. No one is forcing them to buy it.
Popeye206 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:38 PM   #210
AppleMad98004
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cylde Hill, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg78x View Post
I can understand why some people like to skip generations. Why bother upgrading if you're happy, right? However, there a whole other large group of people waiting for people like us to sell our used apple products, and pay us good money for them!

I upgrade every other gen just because the resale value is so good with Apple. I'm amazed how much people pay for used iPhones and iPads. The upgrades almost pay for themselves!
Exactly my friend.... Just sell your iPad 4 for good money and it will cover most of the new cost of the iPad 5 or whatever you want.

Apple needs the latest technology in their products or they get left behind. Us long time Mac users know that from the 1990's and early 2000's. Now the are on top of their game.
AppleMad98004 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:42 PM   #211
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyshaker View Post
The fact there is a new iPad out that is newer than the ipad 4 then this means that the ipad 4 is out dated by ipad 5 and when you say 'Name me one thing the ipad 4 can do which the iPad 3 cannot do. One thing.' that proves my point of the fact that they are milking us for money. may be i elaborated about the outdated thing in a unclear way but still im not going to by a iPad 3 when i know there is a ipad 4 around just for the sake of saying "Name me one thing the ipad 4 can do which the iPad 3 cannot do. One thing."
I haven't got a clue what you said in that last part.Just curious,do you buy the newest model of computer,car,TV,refrigerator,etc every time a new one is released?If not why?Could it be that *GASP*that car or whatever still meets your needs just fine even though it's "outdated"by your definition?
I will never understand you people.Born to suffer terribly.
__________________
I'm sure you care what Apple gear I have about as much as I care about yours,so I won't bother putting it here.
E.Lizardo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:46 PM   #212
Jetson
macrumors 6502a
 
Jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker-UK View Post
Fine with me. Competition is good, faster development cycles are good. The only people who are going to complain are those who must have the latest version at all cost. While I 'get' the desire to have the latest and greatest, all it does, besides fill Apple's coffers, is perpetuate our throwaway society.

My iPad2 and iPhone4S are still perfectly functional. I'll probably replace them either when iOS support disappears or their batteries die.
I feel the same way.

However I must point out the absurdity that Apple has brainwashed us into, that the batteries are NOT replaceable on our iOS devices.

They sneaked "planned obsolescence" in right under our noses and we seem to be okay with that.

Coincidentally about the time that a device will no longer hold a charge is about when I'd like to replace it with the latest and greatest. Convenient but absurd.

Jetson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:50 PM   #213
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
AND A SHHHHPELLLING DOCTOR!!!!11!111!
and
Don't forget grammar and runonsentences....
__________________
I'm sure you care what Apple gear I have about as much as I care about yours,so I won't bother putting it here.
E.Lizardo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:53 PM   #214
bursthead
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Maybe they are doing this to solve the logistical problem they have had with iPads. By moving to a 6 month cycle they are able to lessen demand since people will not be buying in droves since it hasn't been pent up with long refresh cycles. You essentially kill the resale market as well since many people will just end up keeping their old ipad, and instead choosing to buy it at the 6 month interval. Thus people are forced to buy new since less people will be selling their ipads. And all of us who used to sell our old ipads and help pay for the next ipad will find on ebay and craigslist, when you sell it you will take a huge loss. It seems like a win win for apple.
__________________
Current as of 6/13/2013: Verizon Note 3,White iPad Air 16gb ATT. Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Z10 ATT. Proud unlimited iPad ATT Data Plan Owner & Verizon Unlimited Data User.
bursthead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:54 PM   #215
oliversl
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
6 month release cycle for iPads scares me
__________________
My email after a captcha in: http://tinymailto.com/oliversl
oliversl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:55 PM   #216
i.mac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhandri View Post
they will lose so many customers if they keep releasing ipads every 5-6 months until now you knew your device would atleast be the newest for atleast 1 year.... now this just sucks
yup, those folks will get other tablets that chnage every othervweek...
__________________
mac classic, quadra, etc...
i.mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:58 PM   #217
redman042
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
If Apple updates the 10" iPad, I'm totally getting one. Glad I skipped the 4. My iPad 3 is still doing well but I wish it were faster, and just as importantly, thinner and lighter. Sounds like the next one will have all this. Can't wait!
redman042 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:58 PM   #218
775445
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
So big that they need to do it again 6 months later?
No. Neither of us would be the first to say that the iPad 4 was what the iPad 3 should have been.
775445 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:00 PM   #219
bjornm
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike423 View Post
Yea Right.

I guess we all know iPad mini will get Retina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoyblazed View Post
need that ipad mini to have retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cky880 View Post
If this is going to happen, I think the big question will be: Will the iPad Mini move to Retina so soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzhogi View Post
Besides retina on the Mini, faster procs, being lighter & skinnier, I wonder what new features these new iPads will bring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpat View Post
You suuuuuure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
If the new iPad Mini doesn't have a retina display, Apple shouldn't even bother making it.
The new iPad mini will not have a retina screen, you guys are setting yourself of for a disappointment.

The iPad mini is not only smaller, but a second budget alternative next to the iPad 2 and when the iPad 2 is gone, it will be the only one.

Giving the iPad mini a retina screen would mean creating a screen with crazy pixel density, it will have to be even more advanced than the current iPad. That's not going to happen with this cheaper model.

On top of that, the need for a retina screen on the iPad mini is not as great as the pixel density is already quite ok.
bjornm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:01 PM   #220
Jaro65
macrumors 68040
 
Jaro65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyshaker View Post
There just milking people for there money i have just got my ipad 4 about 6 weeks ago and now its going to be outdated by apples new ipads its just getting to much and to stupid to keep realising new ipads with out any major change so what ipad 4 is twice as fast as ipad 3 it doesnt matter no app uses all of the ipad 4 processor power.
I like the fact that you actually capitalized the first letter and closed this whole thing off with a period.
__________________
rMBP | MBP | MBA | ACD | iPad | iPhone | ATV | iPods | Senn HD 650
Jaro65 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:03 PM   #221
rhinosrcool
macrumors 65816
 
rhinosrcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg78x View Post
I can understand why some people like to skip generations. Why bother upgrading if you're happy, right? However, there are a whole other large group of people waiting for people like us to sell our used apple products, and pay us good money for them!

I upgrade every other gen just because the resale value is so good with Apple. I'm amazed how much people pay for used iPhones and iPads. The upgrades almost pay for themselves!
Well, I am waiting for many to sell their 1st gen Minii's. However, I believe that they will sell for a lot less than retail, and possibly, refurbs (when they arrive). So many, from gifts alone, will want to dump it. Also, even though they knew it didn't have a retina screen, there is the larger group that bought it and will sell (especially, if the new one has retina). It will be a buyer's market!!!
rhinosrcool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:06 PM   #222
ozaz
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhandri View Post
they will lose so many customers if they keep releasing ipads every 5-6 months until now you knew your device would atleast be the newest for atleast 1 year.... now this just sucks
Apple have an excellent history, compared to Android device manufacturers, of supporting iOS devices for several years (e.g. 2009 iPhone 3GS still supported in current iOS). As long as I can be confident that my iOS device will keep receiving software updates for 3 years, I don't care how many hardware iterations Apple release in that period.
ozaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:08 PM   #223
jloving
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Unbelievable

For those that are actually complaining that Apple releasing a newer product early upsets them because then they can't say they have the latest and greatest is just crazy. By that definition, maybe Apple should wait for 3 yrs. Of course, Apple would then be behind everyone else and not be the HOT company/product.

Releasing every 6 mths or so let's Apple stay on top (which they are). You don't have to buy each one but maybe skip one release or two. It is probably stupid to keep buying each one anyone because the difference would be small. But if you only bought once a year or every other, the IPad (in this case) would have enough improvements to justify the purchase.
jloving is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:12 PM   #224
Jay-electronics
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
All of the people here who think it isnt stupid to release a new ipad this early are mistaken. It doesnt look good to consumers who purchased the previous model just to have another one come out in a few months. Even if its nothing really new about it which less face it that there probably wont be much new about it except it being thinner. Apple hasnt came up with anything new in a while and i been buying there products for a while. Apple is indeed feeling the pressure especially in the phone category as no other phone before the galaxy s3 was able to really match it. Now they see so many galaxy s3 sales and better reviews for the s3 and they see there losing there edge. Thats probably the only reason there tryna put things out quicker. But there software is not ready for faster and newer hardware cause it cant do anything different than before. How much faster can u load an app is that all the new ipad is going to be for and to say its thinner??
Jay-electronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:14 PM   #225
Szarky
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson View Post
However I must point out the absurdity that Apple has brainwashed us into, that the batteries are NOT replaceable on our iOS devices.
A seam for a battery cover would be ugly on the back. I know, I know... gasp a seam, line, crease? Yes, it's crazy thinking but the iPhones and iPads are ridiculously sexy tech from every angle especially even the connectors/speakers now. I looked at my 30-pin+steel grate on my girlfriends iPhone 4, holy crap so much crud/dust/dirt there. New connectors+mini holes for speakers are nice. Realistically you'll never have to replace your battery on your device anyway, they last to the point where you should probably just upgrade your device. Sure there's the random, odd battery dies or has horrible drain problems but that's what warranty is for. I'd say if it makes it fine the first year you'll make it another 4-5 no problem.
Szarky is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC