Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:49 PM   #101
mannyo1221
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephoneguy123 View Post
Well, I don't think I will join the debate about Java, but a temporary fix to enable Java (I know, it is a security hazard, however I don't have another option as I have to use the Juniper SSL VPN network connect client).
So,
1. close Safari
2. Open a terminal
3. sudo vi /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist
4. Find the string <key>MinimumPlugInBundleVersion</key>
5. Just under that line you should see the version. Change the last portion of the number from 19 to 1.
6. Save and exit
7. Start up Safari and you should work. You must keep in mind that this file may be updated by Apple again, so this is only temporary and should only be done if you *must* use your current version of Java.

best of luck....
Thanks for that, was wondering why I was unable to connect to work until I found this thread. I have also disabled the auto update as per the post a couple down from yours, must remember to turn that back on when Java gets updated.

Its not just the Juniper VPN, there is also the AEP VPN and other legacy websites which will no longer work. I wonder how many others Apple have annoyed by using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
mannyo1221 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:51 PM   #102
dilbert99
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xionxiox View Post
Java is the worst thing ever. Always buggy and slow. Oracle doesn't give a damn about Macs.
A bit like Flash, Perhaps Apple should block that on OSX. Always buggy and slow. Adobe doesn't give a damn about Macs.
dilbert99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:54 PM   #103
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Update: As detailed in the National Vulnerability Database, the issue affects not only the Java 7 plug-in, but all versions from 4 through 7.

Great, it looks like things just got even worse.
iMikeT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:58 PM   #104
JTToft
macrumors 6502a

So that's why I couldn't access my home banking earlier today!
Safari and Opera both reported "Blocked plugin" when Java loaded, but it worked fine in Firefox... Why is that?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:58 PM   #105
dilbert99
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
Seriously? From a programmer's perspective: http://tech.jonathangardner.net/wiki/Why_Java_Sucks
Not a very good article, points out many insignificant points and some inaccuracies.
dilbert99 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:00 PM   #106
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephoneguy123 View Post
Well, I don't think I will join the debate about Java, but a temporary fix to enable Java (I know, it is a security hazard, however I don't have another option as I have to use the Juniper SSL VPN network connect client).
So,
1. close Safari
2. Open a terminal
3. sudo vi /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist
4. Find the string <key>MinimumPlugInBundleVersion</key>
5. Just under that line you should see the version. Change the last portion of the number from 19 to 1.
6. Save and exit
7. Start up Safari and you should work. You must keep in mind that this file may be updated by Apple again, so this is only temporary and should only be done if you *must* use your current version of Java.

best of luck....
Thanks so much for posting this. The company I work for uses a payroll system that requires the Java plug-in and I was unable to access it. Would have been stuck without this.

I like that Apple is clearly looking out for the safety of their users, but at the same time, it would be nice if they would put in a user interface for temporarily side-stepping this kind of thing instead of having to hack around in the system files. Just a simple prompt of "This plug-in/app has been disabled due to security issues. Do you want to run it this one time?" That would serve the dual purposes of not leaving their users stranded and giving an explanation for why it suddenly doesn't work.
inkswamp is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:04 PM   #107
darkplanets
macrumors 6502a

Perhaps someone could provide some clarity for those of us who are too lazy to research the answers...

1) Does this vulnerability effect the Windows Java 7 plug-in as well?
2) Is the SDK and whatnot still okay?
3) Since the 4-7 plug-ins are cited, but since Apple only switched over to Oracle for V7, is 6 and below (Apple versions) still okay? Much like X11 Apple had a selective hand in updating these services. This article made it seem like Apple only nuked 7, not their version 6 and below.
darkplanets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:19 PM   #108
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajovanov View Post
apple should provide an easy option to switch back to java 6
...which would help how? The vulnerability affects versions 4-7.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
My fear with the Apple solution while it is a good emergency fix is Apple will take to long to remove that emergency solution. Emergency solution are just ones to buy time but not a real fix. Oracle patch it and after the patch Apple needs to its patch removed with in 24 hours as well.
Apple doesn't need to remove their patch. They increased the minimum required "safe" version number to the next one that Oracle might logically release, so if they stick with this pattern, Apple's fix will be good. They are not going to release another version called 1.7.0_10-b18. We'll probably get 1.7.0_11, which will be fine because Apple is now requiring at least some nonexistent version 1.7.0_10-b19 (the "b" stands for "build"; they are not likely to make programming changes between two of them).
RMo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:26 PM   #109
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
As a middleware and server platform Java is great. But when it comes to front end, it sucks like a tornado. Their widgets and the slow response times are horrible. Java was trying to be a "all in one" solution but it never got accepted.

I know the Mars rover interface is Java. But NASA engineers could have chosen the easy way out, you know run it on Linux and throw Java on top of it. Easy out of the box solution. I believe Android is based on such a platform, but I am not sure. No wonder it's so glitchy and jerky.
Wait, you mean to tell us that some of the smartest men on our planet who got a rover up to Mars should take YOUR advice of OS used? Please tell me when was the last time you sent a rover to Mars using linux with java on top?

As to your all in one solution, yeah im pretty sure it got accepted. Next to linux, java is present or has the ability to be present in your fridge, router, ATM where you get money, etc. I'd call that a pretty good all-in-one solution.

Just because YOU dont like java does not make it any less viable as a programming language that has been used by people with twice your brain capability.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplanets View Post
Perhaps someone could provide some clarity for those of us who are too lazy to research the answers...

1) Does this vulnerability effect the Windows Java 7 plug-in as well?
2) Is the SDK and whatnot still okay?
3) Since the 4-7 plug-ins are cited, but since Apple only switched over to Oracle for V7, is 6 and below (Apple versions) still okay? Much like X11 Apple had a selective hand in updating these services. This article made it seem like Apple only nuked 7, not their version 6 and below.
1) yes
2) no
3) apple v6 is likely largely based off oracle v6 therefore its safe to assume the vulnerability is there too. Also the patch requires a sequentially higher version than the newest on currently out, and since 6<7, you'll have to wait.
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:28 PM   #110
TheWatchfulOne
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xionxiox View Post
Java is the worst thing ever. Always buggy and slow. Oracle doesn't give a damn about Macs.
That is not possible. Flash is the worst thing ever. You can't have two worst things ever. It would diminish the title.

Unless what you're really trying to say is that Flash is dead and now Java has inherited title?

If not, then maybe Java can be the second worst thing ever?

No, wait, Adobe makes other software besides Flash, so Java can't even be the second (or ever third or fourth) worst thing ever!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:30 PM   #111
addicted44
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime View Post
My fear with the Apple solution while it is a good emergency fix is Apple will take to long to remove that emergency solution. Emergency solution are just ones to buy time but not a real fix. Oracle patch it and after the patch Apple needs to its patch removed with in 24 hours as well.
Any patch Oracle releases will work automatically, without Apple having to do anything.

Apple hasn't blocked the plugin outright. They have blocked plugins with a version upto the current plugin's version. Oracle's patched release will have a higher version number and so will work automatically.
addicted44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:34 PM   #112
iindigo
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iindigo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
I've heard that Ruby on Rails is the most awesomest thing ever. I tried to install the Rails runtime and serve it through Apache. Wow was that ever a PITA and it never quite worked.
This surprises me. As an amateur web developer I was able to get Rails setup quite easily under CentOS and Debian. Apache/nginx + Phusion Passenger and nginx + unicorn are both very easy to set up, neither takes an more than 30 minutes, maybe an hour if you're having trouble. Phusion even has an ncurses wizard to take you through most of the process.
iindigo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:48 PM   #113
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by iindigo View Post
This surprises me. As an amateur web developer I was able to get Rails setup quite easily under CentOS and Debian. Apache/nginx + Phusion Passenger and nginx + unicorn are both very easy to set up, neither takes an more than 30 minutes, maybe an hour if you're having trouble. Phusion even has an ncurses wizard to take you through most of the process.
When I set it up, no documentation pointed to Phusion Passenger. That's how I finally got it to work. A lot of it was building from source and doing gem installs, since I run Arch Linux and do not use their Apache binary but my own.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:54 PM   #114
krravi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgm541 View Post
Wait, you mean to tell us that some of the smartest men on our planet who got a rover up to Mars should take YOUR advice of OS used? Please tell me when was the last time you sent a rover to Mars using linux with java on top?

As to your all in one solution, yeah im pretty sure it got accepted. Next to linux, java is present or has the ability to be present in your fridge, router, ATM where you get money, etc. I'd call that a pretty good all-in-one solution.

Just because YOU dont like java does not make it any less viable as a programming language that has been used by people with twice your brain capability.

----------

1) yes
2) no
3) apple v6 is likely largely based off oracle v6 therefore its safe to assume the vulnerability is there too. Also the patch requires a sequentially higher version than the newest on currently out, and since 6<7, you'll have to wait.
Easy there... it was not meant *literally* in every situation. More like using as a front end in a PC for common masses.

YOU can try to sell it all you want, in the end it is what it is.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thajeztah View Post
I don't think Eclipse qualifies as an example of JAVA performance. Eclipse is about the worst case of Java performance.

If you're still running Eclipse and use it for web development, please have a look at PhpStorm (www.jetbrains.com). Also Java, but a whole lot more responsive.
Tried it out of curiosity once for the Google App engine. Have to get back to it again sometime....
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:59 PM   #115
helpfulhal3000
macrumors newbie

A Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajovanov View Post
apple should provide an easy option to switch back to java 6
Just thought I might drop you a helpful article:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559

EE
helpfulhal3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:06 PM   #116
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsMkLg068426 View Post
But I am not using Microsoft Windows so I do not get why Mac users should worry about IE.
Mac users shouldn't but web developers must, that's the point.
Lennholm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:11 PM   #117
Zmmin3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTToft View Post
So that's why I couldn't access my home banking earlier today!
Safari and Opera both reported "Blocked plugin" when Java loaded, but it worked fine in Firefox... Why is that?
Not sure as I use firefox myself. If you go to your add-on page, in the plug in section you will see what Mozilla has gone through and blocked itself.
Zmmin3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:39 PM   #118
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsMkLg068426 View Post
But I am not using Microsoft Windows so I do not get why Mac users should worry about IE.
PC's and IE are the majority of browsers out there.
Web developers have been using jquery and other tools to determine what the visitors to their sites are surfing in on. If it's mostly Windows XP and IE8 then they will develop for that when they make their next big revision.
So following that to it's logical conclusion, we won't see much in terms of HTML5 on major sites until the major sites see a sufficient majority of their users are on HTML5 compliant browsers.
Sadly, I think by the time we get there HTML5 will be thoroughly branched by Microsoft, Mozilla and Google's various interpretations of it.
Meaning more silly workarounds and accommodations.

Ps oh yeah, you guys do know that Oracle said they have gone to a quarterly release schedule for Java right? And I do believe the most recent revis of Java was less than a month ago.

Last edited by calaverasgrande; Jan 11, 2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: its friday dammit!
calaverasgrande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:56 PM   #119
damir00
macrumors 6502a

Beautiful.

Write once, kill everywhere.
damir00 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:11 PM   #120
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackforge View Post
Juniper VPN requires the Java plug-in to launch all associated files. So Juniper VPN is shut off (verified at work when I found out about the block).
Yep. I had a client deploy an update and I was going to cross check it, but *boing*, the Java limitation bounced me in Safari.

Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately ), there's an Active/X plugin, so I was able to fire up Parallels and access it with IE
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:27 PM   #121
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816

or you could use Virtual Box.
calaverasgrande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:46 PM   #122
3lite
macrumors 6502a

Please help.

I am on 10.8.

Under System Preferences, under "Other" There is only the flash icon. No Java.

Under launchpad, there is a application "Java Preferences" but when I click on it nothing shows up. Wtf.

I tried downloading Java, but when I tried installing it by double clicking the pkg it says "installer closed unexpectedly". Java is the only damn thing I cannot install.

Anyone else in the same boat or know a fix to this or what the problem is?
3lite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:45 PM   #123
yg17
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert99 View Post
Not a very good article, points out many insignificant points and some inaccuracies.
Yeah, that article is extremely out of date. Bitching about iterators? I haven't had to use an iterator since JDK 5 gave us the enhanced for loop. And some of those other complaints would be fixed if he were using an IDE instead of vim.

Anyways, whether I like it or not, the two factor authentication to log into my credit union's online banking requires Java, and if Apple has decided it's my best interests to block Java and prevent me from logging in to my online banking, I am not going to be happy. There better be a good way to disable this.
yg17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:51 PM   #124
Knighstalker
macrumors member

Umm... I don't if this is relevant or if people want this but here is Oracle's Java version checker:
http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
Knighstalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:53 PM   #125
3lite
macrumors 6502a

So I Java 6 the safest to use right now?
3lite is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion