Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjaxar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Incredibly my rarely used 2011 Imac Hard Drive is toast. I saw they have a replacement program but even though it is way too soon for a hard drive OF QUALITY to be going out so soon as mine - mine is not included in the replacement program.

Which I have a problem with - how odd it is that they had enough trouble with these computers/hard drives to do a replacement program but mine which did the same thing, expired way too soon isn't covered. I've not had use of the computer for 4 months while I tried to fix the problem so it lasted a little over a year.

Anyway I need to know what to do to try to replace it myself as i haven't the funds to take it to Apple for repair. Plus, Apple Computers and me are history I will never buy another after spending over $1200 for a computer that's nothing more than a very large paperweight right now.

How do I know what size and all that?

I may not be able to afford even that so more than likely this is going to be a very nice looking worthless computer going to the landfill.
:confused:

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
May I suggest that your attitude will go a long way toward a self-fulfilling prophecy?

There are plenty of people that would pay a reasonable amount of money for your "paperweight".

You ought to perform a modicum of research into the drive replacement process for your 2011 iMac. Either do the replacement yourself or sell the unit in its "as is" condition to a person willing to perform a little bit of work to have a very nice computer.

desantim

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
I imagine you would be really pissed if you bought a $30k car and have something fail on it ;) these things happen. Apple doesn't promise a 0% defect and they can't control other companies reliability. It isn't an apple hard drive. Be angry with Seagate or Hitachi or whoever its made by. Apple will support it but they didn't make it. I've owned quite a few apples with no issues the day I have an issue ill fix it and keep on truckin'

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
Incredibly my rarely used 2011 Imac Hard Drive is toast. I saw they have a replacement program but even though it is way too soon for a hard drive OF QUALITY to be going out so soon as mine - mine is not included in the replacement program.

Which I have a problem with - how odd it is that they had enough trouble with these computers/hard drives to do a replacement program but mine which did the same thing, expired way too soon isn't covered. I've not had use of the computer for 4 months while I tried to fix the problem so it lasted a little over a year.

Anyway I need to know what to do to try to replace it myself as i haven't the funds to take it to Apple for repair. Plus, Apple Computers and me are history I will never buy another after spending over $1200 for a computer that's nothing more than a very large paperweight right now.

How do I know what size and all that?

I may not be able to afford even that so more than likely this is going to be a very nice looking worthless computer going to the landfill.
:confused:

Google "replace 2011 imac hard drive" and you will get plenty of DIY walk thrus. Ifixit.com is very popular for such info.

As far as size, it came with either a 500GB or 1TB, 3.5 inch internal desktop computer hard drive. You can consider putting a 2 or 3 TB drive in the machine if you want more space. Check Tigerdirect or Newegg or Pricewatch for a brand/price that suits your budget.

Slow Programmer

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
I purchased a new Toshiba laptop a couple of years ago at Staples. They were offering software upgrades and installing everything in the store. While doing the upgrades the hard drive failed. I never even got the machine out the door. These things happen.

jacksam101

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Crewe (UK)
It's relatively straight forward to replace the HD in the 2011 iMac.

I bought the base 21.5" with the 500gb HD and quickly replaced it with a 2TB WD unit - instructions are available by googling.

I've just taken this out and fitted a 250gb Samsung 840 SSD; wow that makes the iMac fast! - all data is stored on a 3TB external (firewire 800) HD. It does feel like a different machine!

Swapout took about 30 mins (including cleaning the screen to get rid of finger marks from removing and replacing it!)

You do need a special screwdriver head but the guide will tell you what you need) I leave all cables connected and prop the screen open to about 2.5" which gives enough access to HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.