Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:48 PM   #1
zarf2007
macrumors regular

John Lewis UK showing base 27" iMac in stock!!

http://www.johnlewis.com/231750318/Product.aspx
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:56 PM   #2

So either purchase or dont.

Why the need to post about it?
725032 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:06 PM   #3
michaelmac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post

I would have thought this was because there are a lot of people out there keen to get one of these and who don't want to wait 4-weeks so nice for them to be able to buy online now. That and the fact it is relatively newsworthy because others are waiting for orders for similar spec but a UK retailer has them to buy now.

Seems a fair post to me!
michaelmac is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:40 PM   #4
emsworthboy
macrumors member

They are out if stock for the highend already. I purchased one on December 19th and got confirmation of despatch for delivery --- only it did not turn up. I phoned and was told they had no stock so I would not get it. I cancelled the order and am now waiting for it from Apple. It would seem John Lewis systems be up to scratch for such high demand items!
emsworthboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
gecko20
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsworthboy View Post
They are out if stock for the highend already. I purchased one on December 19th and got confirmation of despatch for delivery --- only it did not turn up. I phoned and was told they had no stock so I would not get it. I cancelled the order and am now waiting for it from Apple. It would seem John Lewis systems be up to scratch for such high demand items!
http://www.notebook.de/index.php?sea...chbegriff=imac
they have both 27 inch models in stock...
gecko20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Imaginethe
macrumors regular

It is also available and on show in Curry's I saw today.
Imaginethe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:22 PM   #7
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Extra warranty as standard, one of the largest retailers in the UK, one of a handful of stockist with actual stock, great customer service.

Clearly you miss the obvious reasons.
All Taken is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:33 PM   #8
zarf2007
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginethe View Post
It is also available and on show in Curry's I saw today.
yes but are they in stock in currys? because they are showing 10 instock at JL.....many places have them on display, few instock\\\

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Taken View Post
Extra warranty as standard, one of the largest retailers in the UK, one of a handful of stockist with actual stock, great customer service.

Couldnt have said it better myself!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:

The OP didnt list this... So not very obvious at all
725032 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:40 PM   #10
zarf2007
macrumors regular

Quote:
The OP didnt list this... So not very obvious at all
If you live in the UK you would know this.....JL are a quality store, you were caught out.....admit it or vanish.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:04 PM   #11
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarf2007 View Post
If you live in the UK you would know this.....JL are a quality store, you were caught out.....admit it or vanish.
He was a bit brash but then again not in a position to know.
All Taken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:25 PM   #12
AndiS.
macrumors regular

Quote:

Shouldn't 2 years be the standard warranty in the UK, according to EU law? Just curious, I don't live in the Uk.
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:54 PM   #13

Quote:
I live in the UK and I shop at JL all the time. I may have known it but the OP didnt state any of these points.

What was i supposed to be caught out on? What am i supposed to admit and why should i vanish?
725032 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:34 AM   #14
zarf2007
macrumors regular

Quote:
they also have 1 left of the GTX675 card variety....

http://www.johnlewis.com/231750319/Product.aspx

----------

Quote:
I live in the UK and I shop at JL all the time. I may have known it but the OP didnt state any of these points.

What was i supposed to be caught out on? What am i supposed to admit and why should i vanish?
Why should I state it, anyone with a web browser can go to their site and see that they offer additional warranty....

Vanish because you contribute little but negativity, if you're not interested or don't have anything constructive to say, stay out of the thread...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:47 AM   #15

Quote:
they also have 1 left of the GTX675 card variety....

http://www.johnlewis.com/231750319/Product.aspx

----------

Why should I state it, anyone with a web browser can go to their site and see that they offer additional warranty....y

Vanish because you contribute little but negativity, if you're not interested or don't have anything constructive to say, stay out of the thread...
Please dont tell me to vanish or stay out of a thread. This is an open forum, for all users to post in. You cannot pick and choose who comments on a thread.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:54 AM   #16
zarf2007
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiS. View Post
Shouldn't 2 years be the standard warranty in the UK, according to EU law? Just curious, I don't live in the Uk.
While this is correct to a certain extent, I think the onus is on you the purchaser to prove that the product was defective when purchased which can lead to a large amount of hassle compared to just claiming on an extended warranty. Some people would rather just have the peace of mind than have to quote european law and fight with the retailer.

I have known people who have fought and won their case under EU law but it is a time consuming process and the retailers know this.

----------

Quote:
Please dont tell me to vanish or stay out of a thread. This is an open forum, for all users to post in. You cannot pick and choose who comments on a thread.
but why would anyone with an ounce of intelligence post worthless crap on a forum....I guess i answered my own question, please keep posting.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:54 AM   #17
AT06
macrumors 6502

Why are people arguing? The OP was being rather nice and helpful by posting a link to a very good store, that offer additional warranty as standard, for anyone struggling to get the iMac in the UK. How has an argument developed from that?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:54 AM   #18
rjs2
macrumors member

Quote:
If this is an "an open forum, for all users to post in" then why did you question the OPs "need" to post the thread in the first place?
rjs2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs2 View Post
If this is an "an open forum, for all users to post in" then why did you question the OPs "need" to post the thread in the first place?
I was asking what message he was attempting to convey to other users

----------

Quote:
While this is correct to a certain extent, I think the onus is on you the purchaser to prove that the product was defective when purchased which can lead to a large amount of hassle compared to just claiming on an extended warranty. Some people would rather just have the peace of mind than have to quote european law and fight with the retailer.

I have known people who have fought and won their case under EU law but it is a time consuming process and the retailers know this.

----------

but why would anyone with an ounce of intelligence post worthless crap on a forum....I guess i answered my own question, please keep posting.
You certainly did answer your own question
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:01 AM   #20
zarf2007
macrumors regular

Quote:
I was asking what message he was attempting to convey to other users

----------

You certainly did answer your own question

Ok, in plain english as you clearly have a problem understanding it, I was simply pointing out that a major UK quality retailer has 27inch iMacs in stock....now I will stop responding to your messages as it is pointless trying to reason with idiots.....buy one, dont buy one I really dont give a damn.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:07 AM   #21

Quote:
Ok, in plain english as you clearly have a problem understanding it, I was simply pointing out that a major UK quality retailer has 27inch iMacs in stock....now I will stop responding to your messages as it is pointless trying to reason with idiots.....buy one, dont buy one I really dont give a damn.
I understand perfectly. Your rudeness and aggression really clarified the situation.
725032 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:16 AM   #22
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiS. View Post
It is and it isn't, It's a directive - not law. Which makes the case of claiming in that second year period a very difficult thing to do. Most companies including Apple shun the directive and make it very difficult for consumers to access the directive. You only have to look at the extent Apple went to in the Italian courts over 2 year warranty and Applecare sales, they and many others don't want to play ball.

This is why many welcome companies like John Lewis who offer no fuss 2 year warranties as standard practice. The standard 2 years and the fact that they price match put them way ahead.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:14 AM   #23
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

The 2 year EU directive doesn't apply in the UK, since we have the Sale of Goods act which is more beneficial to the consumer.

If you have a problem within 6 months, the retailer has to prove there wasn't a fault when you bought it. If it's after 6 months, you have to prove there was a fault when you bought it You can do this any time up to 6 years.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:15 AM   #24
hammonda1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I understand perfectly. Your rudeness and aggression really clarified the situation.
zarf2007 made a perfectly resonable post it was you Sipi that started the rudeness and aggression you should stop it.
hammonda1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:03 AM   #25
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
The 2 year EU directive doesn't apply in the UK, since we have the Sale of Goods act which is more beneficial to the consumer.

If you have a problem within 6 months, the retailer has to prove there wasn't a fault when you bought it. If it's after 6 months, you have to prove there was a fault when you bought it You can do this any time up to 6 years.
Actually the directive applies to any EU member state including the UK. SOGA and the directive are not counter intuitive. There is a reason watchdogs such as trading standards and Which? in the United Kingdom explain the directive in plain English, it's fully enforceable, but disappointingly often takes much hassle and threat of further action toward the retailer, again making John Lewis an excellent choice.

Many retailers and thus retail staff are confused about SOGA, Manufacturer Warranty and the Directive that it often causes misinformation from the public Joe, as evidenced by you saying that SOGA cancels it out, it doesn't, SOGA requires a customer to prove the issue was a manufacturing fault if 6 months have passed, the directive leaves the manufacturer liable for claims if less than 2 years since purchase. SOGA is actually worse for customers as it puts the onus on you to prove faulty manufacture, the directive enforces your right to warranty service.

Last edited by All Taken; Jan 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac