Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:32 PM   #1
noodlelegs
macrumors member

Rude default hotspot password on iPhone 5 w/ T-mobile sim

I recently went into a t-mobile store to ask for a blank or deactivated t-mobile sim. I wanted it to do the t-mobile sim swap trick for getting MMS to work on the iphone 5. The 2 unfriendly t-mobile employees just stared at me blankly and I then I asked if I could just buy a blank t-mobile sim. They said no. They wanted so badly to deny me of what I wanted. So I eventually get it out of them that they can sell me a $10 t-mobile prepaid sim that comes with 5 days of service. So I bought the sim and they set me up with a new phone number and everything.
I get home and pop the sim in and I was playing around with settings and I noticed that the default hotspot password was "fibber0445" - quite an odd default password if you ask me. Is that something that these 2 employees could have set up on my sim card while I was making the purchase? I was thinking that by "fibber" they were implying that I was lying to them about something.
noodlelegs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

While unfriendly and rude, you're definitely over thinking the password thing.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:46 PM   #3
noodlelegs
macrumors member

I thought I read that the default password would be the last 4 digits of my phone number or something like it. I guess my question is... is the hotspot password embedded on the sim card and can you change the default password when activating the sim?
noodlelegs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Dyce
macrumors member

It's just a random password, my default was "sick5210".
Dyce is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:24 PM   #5
kvizzel
macrumors 6502a

maybe if it was like

fyou420 or something,

too much thinking bro relax
kvizzel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:31 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvizzel View Post
maybe if it was like

fyou420 or something,

too much thinking bro relax
Agreed. Not everyone is out to get you OP.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:36 PM   #7
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502a

My friend just got a new router and the default WEP passcode was slowapple191 I laughed and said **** you netgear lol
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:18 AM   #8
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

why is it such a big deal to you? You got what you wanted.... IF they wanted to "get" you they probably would of made it a much worse password.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:58 AM   #9
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlelegs View Post
I get home and pop the sim in and I was playing around with settings and I noticed that the default hotspot password was "fibber0445" - quite an odd default password if you ask me. Is that something that these 2 employees could have set up on my sim card while I was making the purchase?
No. It's a random password generated using a word the phone has picked out of the dictionary, followed by some numbers. If you want, you can wipe your phone and reset it, and you'll see that it'll generate a whole new password in a similar fashion.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:01 AM   #10
hafr
Banned

Quote:
I recently went into a t-mobile store to ask for a blank or deactivated t-mobile sim. I wanted it to do the t-mobile sim swap trick for getting MMS to work on the iphone 5. The 2 unfriendly t-mobile employees just stared at me blankly and I then I asked if I could just buy a blank t-mobile sim. They said no. They wanted so badly to deny me of what I wanted. So I eventually get it out of them that they can sell me a $10 t-mobile prepaid sim that comes with 5 days of service. So I bought the sim and they set me up with a new phone number and everything.
I get home and pop the sim in and I was playing around with settings and I noticed that the default hotspot password was "fibber0445" - quite an odd default password if you ask me. Is that something that these 2 employees could have set up on my sim card while I was making the purchase? I was thinking that by "fibber" they were implying that I was lying to them about something.
What's a blank or deactivated SIM-card, and why would they be free?
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:38 AM   #11
techluvr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
What's a blank or deactivated SIM-card, and why would they be free?
SIM card without a phone number that hasn't been provisioned. Users with unlocked devices on unofficial carriers have found a trick to be able to edit their APN settings by hot-swapping a blank T-Mobile SIM and performing a couple of other steps.
techluvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:53 AM   #12
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by techluvr View Post
SIM card without a phone number that hasn't been provisioned. Users with unlocked devices on unofficial carriers have found a trick to be able to edit their APN settings by hot-swapping a blank T-Mobile SIM and performing a couple of other steps.
Oh, okay. Thanks. So the "unfriendly" response from the employees that the TS was talking about was about as expected as walking in to a gas station asking to have a hose and a jug in order to steal gas?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

It's randomly generated from the dictionary, nobody's calling you a fibber!
Brian Y is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:15 AM   #14
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Wow. Are u kidding? U can't be that paranoid, can u? And if the employees chose to call u a "fibber" intentionally, the joke is on them for using the term "fibber" in the first place.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:02 AM   #15
gsugolfer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
Oh, okay. Thanks. So the "unfriendly" response from the employees that the TS was talking about was about as expected as walking in to a gas station asking to have a hose and a jug in order to steal gas?
I'd imagine its more like asking for a free cup from the fountain drink machine.
gsugolfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:08 AM   #16
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Why would you care? What difference would it make? Just move on.

FYI the iPhone just chooses a random password, nothing they could have done.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:21 AM   #17
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugolfer View Post
I'd imagine its more like asking for a free cup from the fountain drink machine.
I see, I interpreted it as if he would use the T-mobile SIM card so he could enter their APN and then use it for MMS without having to pay them.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:43 AM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Yes, they're messing with you dude.
You should go back there, throw the sim card back at them and slap them both twice
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:22 AM   #19
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yes, they're messing with you dude.
You should go back there, throw the sim card back at them and slap them both twice
For the op...please don't actually do that.

lol, afraid he might take that post too seriously
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:29 AM   #20
pbrooks
macrumors regular

You think "fibber" is rude? Wow. I wonder what you'd think about some of the words I would use to describe this thread. :-)

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone