Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:32 PM   #1
noodlelegs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Rude default hotspot password on iPhone 5 w/ T-mobile sim

I recently went into a t-mobile store to ask for a blank or deactivated t-mobile sim. I wanted it to do the t-mobile sim swap trick for getting MMS to work on the iphone 5. The 2 unfriendly t-mobile employees just stared at me blankly and I then I asked if I could just buy a blank t-mobile sim. They said no. They wanted so badly to deny me of what I wanted. So I eventually get it out of them that they can sell me a $10 t-mobile prepaid sim that comes with 5 days of service. So I bought the sim and they set me up with a new phone number and everything.
I get home and pop the sim in and I was playing around with settings and I noticed that the default hotspot password was "fibber0445" - quite an odd default password if you ask me. Is that something that these 2 employees could have set up on my sim card while I was making the purchase? I was thinking that by "fibber" they were implying that I was lying to them about something.
noodlelegs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
While unfriendly and rude, you're definitely over thinking the password thing.
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2x UAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:46 PM   #3
noodlelegs
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
I thought I read that the default password would be the last 4 digits of my phone number or something like it. I guess my question is... is the hotspot password embedded on the sim card and can you change the default password when activating the sim?
noodlelegs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Dyce
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
It's just a random password, my default was "sick5210".
Dyce is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:24 PM   #5
kvizzel
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
maybe if it was like

fyou420 or something,

too much thinking bro relax
kvizzel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:31 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvizzel View Post
maybe if it was like

fyou420 or something,

too much thinking bro relax
Agreed. Not everyone is out to get you OP.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:36 PM   #7
jeremiah239
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 239 Area, FL
My friend just got a new router and the default WEP passcode was slowapple191 I laughed and said **** you netgear lol
__________________
jeremiah239 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:18 AM   #8
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
why is it such a big deal to you? You got what you wanted.... IF they wanted to "get" you they probably would of made it a much worse password.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:58 AM   #9
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlelegs View Post
I get home and pop the sim in and I was playing around with settings and I noticed that the default hotspot password was "fibber0445" - quite an odd default password if you ask me. Is that something that these 2 employees could have set up on my sim card while I was making the purchase?
No. It's a random password generated using a word the phone has picked out of the dictionary, followed by some numbers. If you want, you can wipe your phone and reset it, and you'll see that it'll generate a whole new password in a similar fashion.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:01 AM   #10
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlelegs View Post
I recently went into a t-mobile store to ask for a blank or deactivated t-mobile sim. I wanted it to do the t-mobile sim swap trick for getting MMS to work on the iphone 5. The 2 unfriendly t-mobile employees just stared at me blankly and I then I asked if I could just buy a blank t-mobile sim. They said no. They wanted so badly to deny me of what I wanted. So I eventually get it out of them that they can sell me a $10 t-mobile prepaid sim that comes with 5 days of service. So I bought the sim and they set me up with a new phone number and everything.
I get home and pop the sim in and I was playing around with settings and I noticed that the default hotspot password was "fibber0445" - quite an odd default password if you ask me. Is that something that these 2 employees could have set up on my sim card while I was making the purchase? I was thinking that by "fibber" they were implying that I was lying to them about something.
What's a blank or deactivated SIM-card, and why would they be free?
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:38 AM   #11
techluvr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: OK, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
What's a blank or deactivated SIM-card, and why would they be free?
SIM card without a phone number that hasn't been provisioned. Users with unlocked devices on unofficial carriers have found a trick to be able to edit their APN settings by hot-swapping a blank T-Mobile SIM and performing a couple of other steps.
__________________
Retina MacBook Pro 13"
iPhone 5S 32GB Grey
iPad Air LTE 16GB Grey
techluvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:53 AM   #12
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by techluvr View Post
SIM card without a phone number that hasn't been provisioned. Users with unlocked devices on unofficial carriers have found a trick to be able to edit their APN settings by hot-swapping a blank T-Mobile SIM and performing a couple of other steps.
Oh, okay. Thanks. So the "unfriendly" response from the employees that the TS was talking about was about as expected as walking in to a gas station asking to have a hose and a jug in order to steal gas?
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:57 AM   #13
Brian Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
It's randomly generated from the dictionary, nobody's calling you a fibber!
Brian Y is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:15 AM   #14
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
Wow. Are u kidding? U can't be that paranoid, can u? And if the employees chose to call u a "fibber" intentionally, the joke is on them for using the term "fibber" in the first place.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:02 AM   #15
gsugolfer
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
Oh, okay. Thanks. So the "unfriendly" response from the employees that the TS was talking about was about as expected as walking in to a gas station asking to have a hose and a jug in order to steal gas?
I'd imagine its more like asking for a free cup from the fountain drink machine.
gsugolfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:08 AM   #16
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlelegs View Post
I recently went into a t-mobile store to ask for a blank or deactivated t-mobile sim. I wanted it to do the t-mobile sim swap trick for getting MMS to work on the iphone 5. The 2 unfriendly t-mobile employees just stared at me blankly and I then I asked if I could just buy a blank t-mobile sim. They said no. They wanted so badly to deny me of what I wanted. So I eventually get it out of them that they can sell me a $10 t-mobile prepaid sim that comes with 5 days of service. So I bought the sim and they set me up with a new phone number and everything.
I get home and pop the sim in and I was playing around with settings and I noticed that the default hotspot password was "fibber0445" - quite an odd default password if you ask me. Is that something that these 2 employees could have set up on my sim card while I was making the purchase? I was thinking that by "fibber" they were implying that I was lying to them about something.
Why would you care? What difference would it make? Just move on.

FYI the iPhone just chooses a random password, nothing they could have done.
__________________
I am a professional DJ
macingman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:21 AM   #17
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsugolfer View Post
I'd imagine its more like asking for a free cup from the fountain drink machine.
I see, I interpreted it as if he would use the T-mobile SIM card so he could enter their APN and then use it for MMS without having to pay them.
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:43 AM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, they're messing with you dude.
You should go back there, throw the sim card back at them and slap them both twice
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:22 AM   #19
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yes, they're messing with you dude.
You should go back there, throw the sim card back at them and slap them both twice
For the op...please don't actually do that.

lol, afraid he might take that post too seriously
irDigital0l is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:29 AM   #20
pbrooks
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
You think "fibber" is rude? Wow. I wonder what you'd think about some of the words I would use to describe this thread. :-)
__________________
27" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, iPad 4, iPhone 5, Mac user since 1985
pbrooks is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Unlocked iPhone 5s with T-Mobile SIM work with AT&T LTE after switching SIM? howierr iPhone 8 Sep 3, 2014 10:59 AM
unlocked att iphone mobile hotspot bmc1818 iPhone 13 May 9, 2013 05:36 PM
Better to just use iPhone as hotspot or buy T-Mobile sonic 2.0? Pinkstiletto66 iPhone 7 Apr 24, 2013 11:56 AM
AT&T iPhone 5 Mobile Hotspot Functionality arsenalgear iPhone 1 Oct 22, 2012 01:32 PM
iPhone vs hotspot on virgin mobile RobinHood5 iPhone 5 Jun 29, 2012 05:54 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC