Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeycid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Hi guys,

I am thinking about ordering a R.A.T. 7 mouse for my rMBP but a little confused about Mac compatibility.

The one in particular that I am interested in is this but it doesn't have Mac on the list of supported operating systems but here it does.

I prefer this colour to that of the Contagion and will probably place an order if it is indeed supported on the Mac.

Last edited:

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Honestly, I'd recommend against one. I have a R.A.T. 7 and the hardware feels nice. The software is kind of crummy in that it bugged out on me once and I had to do a reinstall of their software (no idea what happened). And the mouse just up and died on me recently (a little of a year after I bought it). Amazon reviews make it look like this isn't an uncommon issue (but they are just Amazon reviews so who knows how common this is). It has a two year warranty but if you want to get a replacement when it breaks you have to email their support. Getting a response takes around a week. Then you have to jump through some hoops getting them the receipt in the right format so they can read it or something. Then after that you have to ship them the mouse on your own dime and they'll let you know if you get a new one or if they decide you don't get a new one.

So yeah, customer service is junk. Honestly, for gaming mice you're kind of in a tough spot. Logitech is probably better as far as not breaking but they don't have software for mac (so you'll have to use third party stuff which works decent enough). Again, I really liked my RAT 7 until it broke (even with the clunky as heck software). But I can't really justify giving them money every year.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Honestly, I'd recommend against one. I have a R.A.T. 7 and the hardware feels nice. The software is kind of crummy in that it bugged out on me once and I had to do a reinstall of their software (no idea what happened). And the mouse just up and died on me recently (a little of a year after I bought it). Amazon reviews make it look like this isn't an uncommon issue (but they are just Amazon reviews so who knows how common this is). It has a two year warranty but if you want to get a replacement when it breaks you have to email their support. Getting a response takes around a week. Then you have to jump through some hoops getting them the receipt in the right format so they can read it or something. Then after that you have to ship them the mouse on your own dime and they'll let you know if you get a new one or if they decide you don't get a new one.

So yeah, customer service is junk. Honestly, for gaming mice you're kind of in a tough spot. Logitech is probably better as far as not breaking but they don't have software for mac (so you'll have to use third party stuff which works decent enough). Again, I really liked my RAT 7 until it broke (even with the clunky as heck software). But I can't really justify giving them money every year.

Seconded, i despise this mouse. Really hurts your pinky, and you are forced to use a claw grip (which i don't mind sometimes) or a awkwardly palm the mouse.

Don't buy it. I repeat don't buy it. Buy Logitech or Razer. Personally, i have one low end logitech mouse and it's the most comfortable mouse Iv'e used without a doubt.

Razer has more gizmos and coolio going on but their mice aren't horrible to hold like mad ratz.

And as for their cyborg editor it's not so good. Had issues plugging menus when i used it maybe a year ago. The one thing i loved?

The design, customizability (which didn't help except the weights) and the thumb scroll wheel was just so awesome.

monkeycid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys. That's thrown a spanner into the works. :p

I've been reading through the different mouse threads and after over a week of using my new MBP, I'm still clueless as to what mouse to buy and I can't really game or anything yet until I get one.

I am leaning towards a Logitech MX Performance but I basically just want a mouse that I can simply plug-in and play without software. I only need two buttons and a scroll-wheel.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Thanks for the replies guys. That's thrown a spanner into the works. :p

I've been reading through the different mouse threads and after over a week of using my new MBP, I'm still clueless as to what mouse to buy and I can't really game or anything yet until I get one.

I am leaning towards a Logitech MX Performance but I basically just want a mouse that I can simply plug-in and play without software. I only need two buttons and a scroll-wheel.

Then get any random Logitech. Microsoft mice are okay too but they seem to be getting cutesy like Apple with the whole touch mice thing. If you get a multibutton mouse I'd suggest using Steermouse, USB Overdrive or some other third party software. Everyone has their own preference as far as that but thankfully they all have demos.

monkeycid

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I finally settled with the Performance MX and so far so good. The scroll-wheel seems a little sensitive but apart from that all is good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.