Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
The more I read about this, the more interested I am. Think I like it better than the Lifeproof or Otterbox armor.

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
If you can really install the case as quickly as they show in your link I would definitely be interested in this case.

I need something that is meant to be taken on and off quite often (I have heard that the lifeproof case is meant to stay on permanently and may leak if continually taken on and off). I just need a case I can use when going to the river or beach or something and this may possibly be the one.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I've just seen this case too and am really curious. Everything I've seen has mostly said late jan but now I've seen some sites saying a couple months.

I'm hoping it's out sooner than later, as its already Feb 4th

Last edited:

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Interesting development, on the Griffin Facebook page Griffing responded to a post saying the case would hopefully be out in the next month or two.

According to the Catalyst Facebook page they are telling people that the case will be released very soon. When one poster asked what the hold up was Catalyst responded "no hold up, we're dotting our I's and crossing our T's." Catalyst has also been saying "Very soon" since Jan 12th it appears.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
We need an ultimate waterproof case showdown with Seido, Griffin, Incipio, Otterbox, Lifeproof

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I have had the lifeproof, have one now new in the box I'm looking to sell. I have the Obex now and really like it, but I am intrigued by the looks of the Griffin/Catalyst case, if its not soon though ill probably pass as I don't see dropping another $80 for a case when I might upgrade to the new phone when/if there is a new one lol

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I have had the lifeproof, have one now new in the box I'm looking to sell. I have the Obex now and really like it, but I am intrigued by the looks of the Griffin/Catalyst case, if its not soon though ill probably pass as I don't see dropping another $80 for a case when I might upgrade to the new phone when/if there is a new one lol

I agree, the longer these manufacturers wait to get their cases out, the less chance people will buy it since most likely they will already have another case. I dont understand how it can take these companies this long to release cases after a phone is released.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I agree, the longer these manufacturers wait to get their cases out, the less chance people will buy it since most likely they will already have another case. I dont understand how it can take these companies this long to release cases after a phone is released.

While I am anxious for the cases to come out, I'll gladly wait to avoid the fiasco that was the Lifeproof launch. Sounds like maybe the 6th iteration cases they have now might be working better for people, but IMO it was a huge embarrassment for the company.

So, I am really hoping all these delays mean these guys are trying to get it right before they release.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
While I am anxious for the cases to come out, I'll gladly wait to avoid the fiasco that was the Lifeproof launch. Sounds like maybe the 6th iteration cases they have now might be working better for people, but IMO it was a huge embarrassment for the company.

So, I am really hoping all these delays mean these guys are trying to get it right before they release.

It seems like a lot of cases are hit or miss with lifeproof. I know some have them and have no issues and others have one with all kinds of issues. Hopefully these companies can at least narrow it down to having 1 type so that at least people will get the same results.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
I know some of the delays for the initial launch are caused by Apple, not giving out details of the dimensions of the phone until its a week from launch.

I hope that these other companies are making sure the cases are working great and that's why they haven't released yet. It does make me wonder if they did have some issues though as to why they anticipated a January release and are now facing an end of Febuary launch or later. I just hope they figure it out!

velascarlos

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
Spain, EU
I am considering to buy this new griffin case or the lifeproof one.

Do you know if you can use your phone under water with this new griffin case and with the lifeproof or does the touch screen doesn't respond while underwater with any of this cases?

Thanks.

bdoople

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I am considering to buy this new griffin case or the lifeproof one.

Do you know if you can use your phone under water with this new griffin case and with the lifeproof or does the touch screen doesn't respond while underwater with any of this cases?

Thanks.

The touchscreen doesn't work underwater, but if you're using the camera app you can start recording before you go underwater or take a picture using the volume button.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
so it appears according to the catalyst Facebook page the case will be available for purchase online before the end of the month.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
so it appears according to the catalyst Facebook page the case will be available for purchase online before the end of the month.

And now Griffin is saying that isn't true and they have no ETA...
Rumors are the Incipio Atlas is also getting very delayed.

Seems like the only hope for a Feb release is the Otterbox Armor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.