Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
Just wondering for those who have received their iMacs with Fusion drives, are you happy with the speeds and functionality of the drive? Do any of you regret upgrading? Or perhaps regret not upgrading to the SSD?

I'm interested to hear how you are all liking the options that you've selected. My SSD iMac is just getting ready now. A part of me wishes I had the nerve to install my own SSD and save myself some money or even just downgrade to a Fusion drive, but I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with my purchase. The prices are just slightly irritating.

New2012MacForMe

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2012
I love it! Got the 1TB Fusion. I wish I could get more SSD - cost was way too high though. I'll wait for the prices to come down and get some kind of SSD external in the future. You won't regret the decision to get the Fusion drive. It's very fast.

qamaro

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Mine's been great to work with. I am using the 3TB version. I've been running CS6, Capture One and Lightroom 4 and all are running really good. I also installed Diablo 3 just to see how the performance was. First performed an internet client install for D3 and this installed extremely fast, while I didn't time it I think it was like 10-15 min as I sat there surfing away. Launching and playing the game was faster than my HDD RAID0 volume on my PC. So far I figure I made a good call with going with the Fusion option.

I'd still eventually would like a full SSD option but, this can wait as prices for SSD's are dropping like crazy (ex. Crucial M500 MLC - 980GB for $600 when it get released). These I can pop into externals if I don't want to open it up and still get the benefit.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I don't think you will find anyone who is disappointed with the fusion drive. It works well and is a great alternative to the full SSD option.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
4k media on the horizon will ensure that the Fusion drive stays relevant even as SSD prices come down.

I suspect you'll see Fusion options on the new Mac Pro for say 9TB of fusion storage (using say, a 1TB SSD and 4x 4TB SATA drives in a RAID10 array) - there's currently no way you'll get that amount of space in a desktop in that form factor with SSD at any price.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
There is a big downside with the Fusion drives in that if you run Boot Camp it can't utilize the SSD at all, is that correct? And moreover, on 3TB fusion drives you have to go through a special process in order for boot camp to work?

I think these were the main points that initially had me choosing the SSD over the Fusion Drive, and still a big dealbreaker to me unless I'm mistaken. I do see a lot of potential in the Fusion drives though for the future.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
There is a big downside with the Fusion drives in that if you run Boot Camp it can't utilize the SSD at all, is that correct? And moreover, on 3TB fusion drives you have to go through a special process in order for boot camp to work?

I think these were the main points that initially had me choosing the SSD over the Fusion Drive, and still a big dealbreaker to me unless I'm mistaken.

For the cost of 3TB of SSD (if it were even an option), you could buy a separate Windows PC.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
How is that relevant though? I was talking about the options that are available. I work with BIG video files, and 1 TB is more than enough for me. I would never get an SSD larger than 768gb, and frankly am a bit upset they weren't able to come out with smaller/cheaper SSD options.

For the cost of an Apple iMac 768GB SSD could you afford a separate window PC that had a 768GB SSD in it? I feel that is unlikely, but I don't know market prices very well.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I am waiting for my iMac to get here with a 3TB fusion.....I only really opted for the fusion because a 768gb SSD just isnt enough space for me.....so I have been relying on the opinions of most of you guys to assure me that the 3TB fusion is a good option.....so far the reviews are great....so I am hoping this meets my needs....my regular machine is a MBA with a 512 ssd....I know the imac wont be as fast but at least it will be a beast....

Paul-B

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Europe
3Tb fusion here. The point is that you have no idea anything is different, except regularly use progs/apps open as if there were already open in the dock - instantly...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.