Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:38 PM   #26
iPhysicist
macrumors 6502a

Simply no. You should back out of the thread and head on to a library! Your wrong, its that easy.
iPhysicist is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:44 PM   #27
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
hahaha, back out of the thread?!....read this on Macrumors (see below)...Apple explains how at 100% the battery is set up to discharge a bit then recharge in a cycle...guess what that does overtime? It affects battery life LONG TERM by using up small incremental cycles while its plugged in every night. It might be small but matters more and more over time. Batteries only have so many charge cycles, and using these up are cumulative..

so someone who leaves it charged every night for 2 years at 100% is going to burn up battery cycles faster than someone who charges to 100% and unplugs...simple concept

back out of thread...hahaha, you crack me up!! thank you, i needed a laugh today

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/27/...battery-level/
Again, you're being fairly ridiculous. Apple's expressed lifespan of their iPad batteries is in excess of 1,000 cycles - and that's before dropping to 80% capacity, so actual lifespan is well beyond that. What that means is that you can fully discharge the battery to zero and recharge to 100% daily for nearly three years. So let's say that the trickle charge has a 2% reduction on lifespan (which I seriously doubt) - that amounts to 20 cycles at best.

It may be a fun theoretical exercise for you but there's little to no practical diminution of battery life. Case in point, we have 2 iPad 1s in the house that are still used daily and charged with no real attention to timing or duration. Both have robust battery life, easily more than 80% of "new."
poloponies is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:50 PM   #28
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Has anybody gone from 100% charge in the morning to the ipad mini turning off zero by night ?

That only happened to me once & it was because I was watching a lot of videos , plus regular usage
A few times.. and many times I've plugged it in at the 10% warning.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:53 PM   #29
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
A few times.. and many times I've plugged it in at the 10% warning.
Ditto, long overseas plane trip. Watched a few movies and read. The charging outlet under the seat was dead so iPad dropped to nearly zero.
poloponies is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:57 PM   #30
flavr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloponies View Post
Again, you're being fairly ridiculous. Apple's expressed lifespan of their iPad batteries is in excess of 1,000 cycles - and that's before dropping to 80% capacity, so actual lifespan is well beyond that. What that means is that you can fully discharge the battery to zero and recharge to 100% daily for nearly three years. So let's say that the trickle charge has a 2% reduction on lifespan (which I seriously doubt) - that amounts to 20 cycles at best.

It may be a fun theoretical exercise for you but there's little to no practical diminution of battery life. Case in point, we have 2 iPad 1s in the house that are still used daily and charged with no real attention to timing or duration. Both have robust battery life, easily more than 80% of "new."
I agree, I also had an iPad 1 that i would charge all night for 3 years and battery was fine...not as good as new but fine for 3 years old.

the point is people are saying something isn't true that theoretically is, and my post contains nothing incorrect. But yes, I agree with you, leaving it plugged in all night won't be noticeable in terms of battery reduction, but it doesn't make it any less true that leaving it plugged in WILL reduce battery life by a "measurable" amount.

so lets move on shall we

Last edited by flavr; Jan 15, 2013 at 02:39 PM.
flavr is offline   1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland