Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:43 AM   #1
Policar
macrumors 6502a

Dumb phone

Two consecutive replacement cell phones of mine have died or gone on the proverbial fritz (after I accidentally buried the original in a Subway bag, since discarded) and now it is time for a new phone.

I can't afford an iPhone, but my work requires more than my current phone offers. I need to text quickly and frequently, and I'd like to check emails from my phone. I am on a Verizon family plan and cannot afford to add an iPhone and data, but if work picks up I'll get an iPhone happily!

So... any recommendations for an affordable Verizon-comptible cell phone (used off eBay is fine, on contract is not so good) that is compatible with Verizon and is durable (very important), holds a charge a long time, and is good for frequent text messages and possibly even email would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Don't recommend a smart phone or anything much over $50 used, because I want an iPhone 5 asap -- this is an interim solution until I can justify getting one.
Policar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:22 AM   #2
designs216
macrumors 65816

That's a tall order but consider this. My El Cheapo Samsung SCH-R355C was about $20 and costs me about $15 per month. It runs on Net10 so there's no contract. It stinks for texting and forget about internet but it's on Verizon's backbone. Battery life is decent and call quality is good.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Policar
macrumors 6502a

That looks roughly like the type of thing I'm hoping to buy, but I would want to use it on a Verizon family plan. Can it be activated for that purpose?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:37 PM   #4
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policar View Post
I can't afford an iPhone, but my work requires more than my current phone offers. I need to text quickly and frequently, and I'd like to check emails from my phone. I am on a Verizon family plan and cannot afford to add an iPhone and data, but if work picks up I'll get an iPhone happily!
If your work requires this, then why doesn't your company provide you with a phone?
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Policar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
If your work requires this, then why doesn't your company provide you with a phone?
Long story short, because I'm working freelance at the moment.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice