Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:54 AM   #1
KrazyKuul
macrumors regular

Need help breaking into my MacBook Air

I have a macbook air which I think developed a software driver issue. My keyboard, trackpad, usb port, and bluetooth are what seems to be not working. It boots up fine and loads all my programs, and also connects to wifi just fine.

Can I possibly remotely control the laptop? I don't have any sharing settings enabled, but if you know of any software that forcibly lets me do this, could you lead me to it? I can do the SMC reset just fine, but I can't seem to do any of the boot-up key combinations.

If I took the ssd out and connected it to a zif-usb converter, could I install another OS and get it to work again?

thanks
KrazyKuul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:02 AM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

I would think u can at least do an Option-Boot, or run Hardware Diagnostic. Sounds like a hardware prob to me.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:04 AM   #3
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
If you already reset the SMC then something else is wrong.

First thing to do is to run Apple Hardware Test, connect a wired USB keyboard to the Air.

To run AHT hold the D key at startup.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test
justperry is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:33 PM   #4
KrazyKuul
macrumors regular

I think ill finally give in and say its a hardware issue. Why would it recognize the keys when I do a SMC reset though? Obviously it knows I'm pressing those keys.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:31 PM   #5
kage207
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKuul View Post
I think ill finally give in and say its a hardware issue. Why would it recognize the keys when I do a SMC reset though? Obviously it knows I'm pressing those keys.
Did you even listen to the poster above and run the Apple Hardware Test?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by kage207 View Post
Did you even listen to the poster above and run the Apple Hardware Test?
Ya man, can you Option-Boot? Hold down Option while booting. You should come to a screen with two drive icons, one says Macintosh HD and the other Recovery something, if you can move the cursor on this screen, you should be able to download a fresh copy of OS from the internet and re-install from scratch.

p.s. take care of your data first. Nobody here is responsible for your data.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:01 AM   #7
iMacC2D
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKuul View Post
The keys involved in performing an SMC reset - Shift, Control, Option & Power - are hard-wired to the logic board outside of the keyboard circuit so they will still work even with the rest of the machine powered down. Hence you can still reset SMC often even if the keyboard is not working correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Ya man, can you Option-Boot? Hold down Option while booting. You should come to a screen with two drive icons, one says Macintosh HD and the other Recovery something, if you can move the cursor on this screen, you should be able to download a fresh copy of OS from the internet and re-install from scratch.
I would recommend trying this. If you can do this and have the keyboard and trackpad work from the startup manager, it's a good indication that your software has gone awry. If it doesn't work here either, then it's likely to be a hardware issue.
iMacC2D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:50 AM   #8
KrazyKuul
macrumors regular

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now i understand why smc reset was able to work when the keyboard wasnt recognized. no, i cant preform any of the boot combinations, not even option-boot. The usb part of my logic board must be fried. ill recover my data and probably part out the laptop since im not paying over 200 dollars just for a new logic board.

Thanks again for all the help
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:51 AM   #9
KrazyKuul
macrumors regular

One last thing, how hard would this be to repair. could it possibly be just soldering on some new resistors or something? I have no clue where the usb stuff is controlled, but if i did, would it be worth a try? It seems like theres numerous big things that i could replace myself on the circuit board. Any help is appreciated.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air