Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I just bought the iPhone 5, and I still don't know what I think of it. I mean... what do you think?

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Oh, no I like the phone! :D

I just haven't gotten used to the bigger screen. I do like the fact that there's more apps laid out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the phone is fine for me. If you're uncomfortable with the dimensions then look for a different phone.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
When I first got my 5 it felt unbalanced and a little weird to hold. That lasted about 2 days and now it's fine. I love the 4" screen and the 5 in general.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I just bought the iPhone 5, and I still don't know what I think of it. I mean... what do you think?
I fixed some settings on a 3GS yesterday and was surprised over how very small the screen felt. It was very strange.

I'm guessing a week or two with the Galazy Note and I would be used to that size as well. We're very good at adapting, us humans :)

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I love the screen of the iphone 5, at first It was a little bit awkward but after a day It`s fine. Now when I`m using my 4 I think that the screen is really small :D :apple:

Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I love the screen - but the top corners are just out of reach, which is a little annoying.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Perfect Size?

How about asking 500 people what the 'perfect size' of a phone would be, then come back with their responses.

I don't think the iPhone 5 felt 'awkward', but it was different.

I did not buy into the iPhone 5, but not because of how it felt.

I just did not feel it was worth signing onto a new two year contract.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Ive grown accustomed to the size. To me it's the right compromise between the old screen size and the too-big screens that are common on Android phones now.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I don't mind the length. I just wish they widened it just a bit also. I don't think it would have made the phone more difficult to hold at all if they went a little wider but actually easier since it would be more symmetrical. By just elongating it, I feel (still to this day and I've had it since day 1) that the iPhone 5 feels slightly awkward in the hand. Don't confuse that with uncomfortable, because I think it feels comfortable to hold. It just feels a little off IMO. I think a 4.3" screen would have been perfect since they would of had to make it slightly wider.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't care about fragmenting apps. Developers would figure it out...believe me.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
I thought the 4S was perfect. Don't make a taller iPhone, make a wider iPhone. Seriously, if people can't grip the Galaxy S3 with one hand they have issues.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Somehow, I still feel like the iPhone 4 is the "normal size"

But I find the size of the iPhone 5 very elegant. It's convenient it gives you just enough space.

I don't know when I'll get used to it.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I thought the 4S was perfect. Don't make a taller iPhone, make a wider iPhone. Seriously, if people can't grip the Galaxy S3 with one hand they have issues.

To me it's not about being able to grip it, or to use it with one hand, it's about being able to grip it and use it with one hand. I can't do that with an S3 or a Note.

But why would you want a square phone?

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
To me it's not about being able to grip it, or to use it with one hand, it's about being able to grip it and use it with one hand. I can't do that with an S3 or a Note.

But why would you want a square phone?

Huh? Who's saying they want a square phone? If they made the 5 slightly wider it would hardly be square. IMO it would be much more symmetrical, therefore easier and even more comfortable in the hand.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I have long guitar fingers so I have no problem reaching to the top corners when holding with one hand.

It did take a couple of days to get used to the screen, but now its perfect & I find the old 3.5" screen to look funny and "scrunched" compared to new screen.

+1 on new screen size.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Huh? Who's saying they want a square phone? If they made the 5 slightly wider it would hardly be square. IMO it would be much more symmetrical, therefore easier and even more comfortable in the hand.

Since he said he thought the 3,5" display on the 4S was perfect and that he wanted a wider, not a taller iPhone - I assumed he wanted the screen to be the same height as the old iPhones, but wider. That would make the screen pretty square... Especially if he wanted it to be as wide as the S3.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Since he said he thought the 3,5" display on the 4S was perfect and that he wanted a wider, not a taller iPhone - I assumed he wanted the screen to be the same height as the old iPhones, but wider. That would make the screen pretty square... Especially if he wanted it to be as wide as the S3.

Ahh I hear ya...misunderstanding. Yea that would be pretty terrible.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Um, you can't decide for yourself whether you like the phone or not, and are asking others to tell you if you should like it!!????

OK...you like it!:D

:rolleyes:

Where is he asking others whether he should like it? He's asking for opinions on what others think of their iPhone 5. Isn't the purpose of these forums to have discussions? Get off your high horse.

As for the iPhone 5, I felt the same way as the OP. I'm still not sure whether I like it better than my 4S. Just for the sake of argument, if the 4S and the 5 had the same internal parts I think I would choose the 4S. I prefer the all glass design of the 4S as well as the weight. And even though the screen is a bit bigger on the 5 it doesn't add a whole lot more in terms of usability.

I do believe that Apple will release a larger iPhone in the next 12 to 18 months which I would welcome but, they need to hit it of the park with iOS 7 for me to even consider it.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I like the bigger screen, but I have small hands, and can't easily reach the top left corner where many "back" buttons are located.

From a usability standpoint (one handed operation), it's a step back for me.

I wish there was a "legacy mode" where you could switch to the old screen size so one hand operation becomes possible.

-t

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
I'm use to it now - but it's just such a strange size. I wouldn't mind the width being slightly wider.

It's awkward for video and film playback. The thing that really pisses me off is the fact the Camera doesn't fill the screen - and it's still taking pictures for the 4's resolution.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
for me its too small, to thin, and to light...

which is why my iOS consumption is happening via iPad and my phone is an android (also having a full days battery life on the android was a big plus)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.