Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:04 AM   #1
BenjaminB
macrumors newbie

MacBook Air not able to connect to external monitors

Hello people!

I've got a 13" 2012 MacBook Air. Few days ago i purchased this mini displayport > HDMI adapter(Not in the cheap category, 30$ or so). But it just won't work and i honestly can't think of any more solutions.

When i plug it in, my screen turns blue for a few seconds and my monitor does register something as unplugging and plugging the cable in again can wake it up from standby. But the external monitor just says "HDMI - No signal"

I've literally tried everything so far...

Reset the NRAM
Reset System Preferences
Reboot with the adapter plugged in
Do a disk utility fix
Tried to connect it to 2 of my HDTV's no without luck neither
In Sys Pref > Display I've tried the "Search for screen" option about 100 times now, nothing happens. Also only options I've got available in the 'Display' section is: Screen And Colors, I'm missing the third option "Arrengement".
Tried to connect it to 2 of my HDTV's no without luck neither

So if you have any suggestion/solution please feel free to leave a post.

Best Regards
BenjaminB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:59 AM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

I suggest returning/replacing the mini displayport > HDMI adapter.

To see if your computer's displayport might be the problem, borrow an adapter and see if it works. If multiple different adapters fail, it's more likely the problem lies with the computer.

You should also independently confirm your HDMI monitors work, by plugging them into a different HDMI source.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:33 PM   #3
r0k
macrumors 68040

I picked up a Monoprice mini displayport to VGA adapter. It's too big to fit without blocking the firewire port next to it so I bought the $30 Apple adapter and it works fine with a 1080p external monitor. I've never had a problem connecting a monitor and having my Mac "see" it immediately so I would suggest you return your cable and try another one. I also suggest you take your MBA to the store and test the cable in the store with one of their monitors. If it works in the store, you are good to go.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help