Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:47 PM   #26
er15
macrumors member

I Skipped the entire 4 and 4S models and went to the 5 straight from the 3GS. Personally for me it feels like quite a improvement compared to the 3GS and hence for me everything feels a lot faster and better.
er15 is offline   1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:59 PM   #27
bonskovsky
Banned

Another misconception is the retina display. Isn't it supposed to be more HD then an HDTV? So why, Well I'm asking, can it play 2K, or 4K video?

I thought the iPhone 5 could play 4K video.
bonskovsky is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:00 PM   #28
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
# 1 Biggest misconception

Faster Wi-Fi

I was drawn to this phone because I thought that if it could be faster simply internally.. I just thought that was cool. I mean, at first I didn't think you could make Wi-Fi faster. The Wi-Fi is at a set speed. But Apple said that it was something about the phone's recievers that make the phone actually process a better Wi-Fi connection.

It doesn't. It's just the same old Wi-Fi connection. Alot of people were pretty mad about that.

Diamond cut beveled edge

The way that Apple talks about it on their website, they refer to the phone as having a "Diamond cut beveled edge" .. now that I have the phone, I'm left thinking, where's the diamond cut? What, is it supposed to be like extra sharp? The edges of the iPhone 4S/4 felt more solid and was made of stainless steel.

Camera

Somehow, I felt like the camera was supposed to be, like, crazy good, but it just feels like a regular camera. The panorama is a nice touch though, is the front camera 1080p?

Speed

It doesn't really feel any faster than the iPhone I already had even though I know it is. I mean I still have to wait for apps to load.

But, I DID notice that there's a shorter boot time, which I like. I'm also surprised by the volume bump. It's definitely louder.

The way they talked about it, it just seemed like you could actually feel results. I do, but just not in the way that I thought I would.

What did you think about the iPhone 5 when you opened the box?
Misconception? It's called marketing.
did you expect apple to say, oh everything stayed the same and we just added a longer screen
JS82712 is offline   1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:02 PM   #29
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:
Another misconception is the retina display. Isn't it supposed to be more HD then an HDTV? So why, Well I'm asking, can it play 2K, or 4K video?

I thought the iPhone 5 could play 4K video.
Ok, you're definitely trolling. Its resolution isn't even 1080p...
batting1000 is offline   6
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:04 PM   #30
powerwagon
macrumors member

Quote:
How do you cut something with a diamond in the first place?

I don't know, I just heard the word diamond and thought it would be shiny or something.

Didn't they also say something about having diamonds inside the camera?
Now I know how Apple has sold so many iPhones... lol
powerwagon is offline   1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:06 PM   #31
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1000 View Post
Ok, you're definitely trolling. Its resolution isn't even 1080p...
You cad! I am not trolling.

But I'm pretty sure it's 1080p, that was one of the things they said, was that the longer screen or the taller screen actually enables you to view HD movies in real, HD not with black bars.

Also Apple does have a great marketing team but I liked the marketing they did for the 4S, iPad 3 and retina MacBook. I don't like the iPhone 5 commercials.

They didn't advertise the iPad 4 at all.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:43 PM   #32
batting1000
macrumors 601

Quote:

But I'm pretty sure it's 1080p, that was one of the things they said, was that the longer screen or the taller screen actually enables you to view HD movies in real, HD not with black bars.

Also Apple does have a great marketing team but I liked the marketing they did for the 4S, iPad 3 and retina MacBook. I don't like the iPhone 5 commercials.

It has a resolution if 1136 by 640. That's not 1080p and Apple never said it was. Feel freer to try to find somewhere where they said it was 1080p though because I'd be glad to look. It does, though, have a 16:9 aspect ratio.
batting1000 is offline   1
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:53 PM   #33
bonskovsky
Banned

Bastion is one of those games that only run on iPhone 4S and above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
Misconception? It's called marketing.
did you expect apple to say, oh everything stayed the same and we just added a longer screen
You know, I bet you if I got the LTE version of it, I'd be sitting here talking about how misleading it was. Faster than a Wi-Fi connection? That's a whopper.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Jan 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:45 AM   #34
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

You're obviously not too well versed or researched in the technology of the phone judging by what your posts so far. Best to start reading more about the phone and learning what all of these terms and specs actually mean.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:53 AM   #35
Zerilos
macrumors 6502a

I've noticed a significant speed upgrade, at least over the 4.
Zerilos is offline   2
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:26 AM   #36
bonskovsky
Banned

It does have one, like switching back and forth between music and recording. Transitions like that are much improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batting1000 View Post
It has a resolution if 1136 by 640. That's not 1080p and Apple never said it was. Feel freer to try to find somewhere where they said it was 1080p though because I'd be glad to look. It does, though, have a 16:9 aspect ratio.
I did hear them say that you can enjoy HD video. The retina display is supposedly clearer than a written page. Another misconception is that the retina display enables you to view higher quality video.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:33 AM   #37
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It does have one, like switching back and forth between music and recording. Transitions like that are much improved.

I did hear them say that you can enjoy HD video. The retina display is supposedly clearer than a written page. Another misconception is that the retina display enables you to view higher quality video.
With a retina screen that's 16:9 I'm not sure why you would need 1080p since you can't see the pixels anyways.

1080p is more of a hindrance and marketing ploy since no phone GPU can drive that many pixels adequately in a demanding situation (games) and still give you excellent battery life.

Last edited by corvus32; Jan 13, 2013 at 06:50 AM.
corvus32 is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:56 AM   #38
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Apple's marketing is second to none as is their word choices (diamond cut for example).

The iPhone 5 redesign is quite amazing in itself, except they used too soft aluminum, too cheap a finish and have gone too thin with the design so that it's far more fragile than the 4/4S (bending and screens popping out).

These issues aside, if you're not too rough on your phone, it will probably be a great device for you, but spec-wise, there's not too much else you can do with a phone to dazzle people.

I'm particularly interested in where Apple goes with the iPhone 6 from here.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:04 AM   #39
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
Apple's marketing is second to none as is their word choices (diamond cut for example).

The iPhone 5 redesign is quite amazing in itself, except they used too soft aluminum, too cheap a finish and have gone too thin with the design so that it's far more fragile than the 4/4S (bending and screens popping out).

These issues aside, if you're not too rough on your phone, it will probably be a great device for you, but spec-wise, there's not too much else you can do with a phone to dazzle people.

I'm particularly interested in where Apple goes with the iPhone 6 from here.
It will be thinner, probably have tougher aluminium, or liquidmetal? Maybe a diamond camera lens cover.

They love to talk up the materials used to produce the device
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:09 AM   #40
bonskovsky
Banned

Well the back of the white one looks like the back of a MacBook Pro which is an excellent material. I don't buy any plastic technology any more. The white 5 is definitely where it stands out.

I noticed the speed of the camera, it has been much improved. But I wonder of we'll ever get to the point of high grade cameras fitting for amateur filmmakers.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:45 AM   #41
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:

Faster Wi-Fi

I was drawn to this phone because I thought that if it could be faster simply internally.. I just thought that was cool. I mean, at first I didn't think you could make Wi-Fi faster. The Wi-Fi is at a set speed. But Apple said that it was something about the phone's recievers that make the phone actually process a better Wi-Fi connection.

It doesn't. It's just the same old Wi-Fi connection. Alot of people were pretty mad about that.

Diamond cut beveled edge

The way that Apple talks about it on their website, they refer to the phone as having a "Diamond cut beveled edge" .. now that I have the phone, I'm left thinking, where's the diamond cut? What, is it supposed to be like extra sharp? The edges of the iPhone 4S/4 felt more solid and was made of stainless steel.

Camera

Somehow, I felt like the camera was supposed to be, like, crazy good, but it just feels like a regular camera. The panorama is a nice touch though, is the front camera 1080p?

Speed

It doesn't really feel any faster than the iPhone I already had even though I know it is. I mean I still have to wait for apps to load.

But, I DID notice that there's a shorter boot time, which I like. I'm also surprised by the volume bump. It's definitely louder.

The way they talked about it, it just seemed like you could actually feel results. I do, but just not in the way that I thought I would.

What did you think about the iPhone 5 when you opened the box?
Wifi had 5 ghz band added.
Increased to dual spacial stream radio and antenna setup bringing MIMO tech, boosting 72mbps -> 150mbps.
Assuming your router supports all this.

The beveled edge is very shiny and impossible to miss, I'm having doubts you actually have an iPhone 5.

The camera is crazy good, for a phone cam.
The purple haze from a direct light source has nothing to do with the sapphire crystal lens. Its a limitation of the tiny compact cmos sensor.

Depends on the phone you came from. Its a huge boost in processing power from a 4S, but wont be noticeable to end user with most current apps as the 4S is more than enough for the apps and functions iPhone has. It should be noticeable from a 4 or older.

----------

Quote:
Bastion is one of those games that only run on iPhone 4S and above.

You know, I bet you if I got the LTE version of it, I'd be sitting here talking about how misleading it was. Faster than a Wi-Fi connection? That's a whopper.
Now i know you don't really have an iPhone 5. There are 3 versions, all have LTE.

Yes, LTE is faster than WIFI in many occasions, more applicable, its faster than most home internet links.
People often record 60mbps speedtests off LTE, this is indicative of a 100mbps link after error detection and flow control type algorithms are taken into account,

54mbps G WIFI is prevalent, 72mbps N is also very common. But WIFI can get up into the 1300mbps range but its rare.

Internet link at Starbucks is ~1mbps. Most home internet links are most commonly 1.5-6mbps. A lot are up to 20mbps. Exceedingly rare are 100mbps home internet links.

Even an old 3GS/4 with ATT 3G pulling 5mbps is faster than many common 768k/1.5mbps DSL broadband setups.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:10 AM   #42
syd430

Quote:

Faster Wi-Fi

The iphone 5 can connect to a potentially less congested 5 Ghz frequency. Not much use if your router is limited to 2.4 Ghz. Also, a properly set-up N-spec router should deliver similar wireless speeds to your iphone than a PC with a direct ethernet connection. Or were you expecting the wireless speed to exceed that of a direct ethernet connection to your PC?

Quote:
Diamond cut beveled edge

The way that Apple talks about it on their website, they refer to the phone as having a "Diamond cut beveled edge" .. now that I have the phone, I'm left thinking, where's the diamond cut? What, is it supposed to be like extra sharp?

Quote:

Camera

Somehow, I felt like the camera was supposed to be, like, crazy good, but it just feels like a regular camera.

Quote:

Speed

Regarding the 4S:

Objectively, the iPhone 5's A6 is 2x faster than A5 in the 4S for most uses.

Subjectively, based on people that i've spoken to and publicly available anecdotal information on forums such as this, the general consensus is that the speed difference over the 4S is quite noticeable.

Regarding the 4:

Objectively, the iPhone 5's A6 is 3-4x faster than A4 in the 4 for most uses.

Subjectively, based on people that i've spoken to, my personal experience and publicly available anecdotal information on forums such as this, the general consensus is that the speed difference over the 4S is quite noticeable.

You are in the distinct minority when you claim little sped difference between the 5 and 4/4S. Objective benchmarks also support this conclusion.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:29 AM   #43
EchoTheDolphin
macrumors newbie

Quote:

If you have no technical knowledge of something and try to argue technically you're trolling whether you want to or not.

Seriously, the sapphire crystals "make it blue?" It's not a sapphire gemstone. You didn't know they can cut things with diamond? Wait till you find out about water saws.

You complain about technical specs but don't even know what they mean.

Seriously? You don't even know the resolution of the screen. I'd advise you learn about it before you complain. 0 load times?! You code much?
EchoTheDolphin is offline   4
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:36 AM   #44
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattZani View Post
I personally think you aren't that knowledgable in this area, and all your misconceptions are just you understanding Apple wrong.
That is a typical answer. "You just don't get it."

Right up there with "You're holding it wrong."

Last edited by stridemat; Jan 13, 2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Removed name calling
MuddyPaws1 is offline   4
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:45 AM   #45
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
That is a typical answer. "You just don't get it."

Right up there with "You're holding it wrong."
Except this time the poster just really doesn't get it. Said sapphire crystals "make it blue."

Last edited by stridemat; Jan 13, 2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Updated quote
rockyroad55 is offline   4
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:55 AM   #46
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
Except this time the poster just really doesn't get it. Said sapphire crystals "make it blue."
Actually he said purple haze, which many iP5 users have experienced. Some have been chalked up to lens flare but the color and intensity of the flare is noticeably different between the 4s and 5. It "could" be the difference in materials. Not everyone on the planet knows what all this techno stuff does. For example, my wife would have no clue, nor would she care to know about sapphire being used as the lens.

I just prefer to educate someone when they have misconceptions rather than telling them "You just don't get it." or telling them they are stupid for no understanding something.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   2
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:03 AM   #47
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post
Actually he said purple haze, which many iP5 users have experienced. Some have been chalked up to lens flare but the color and intensity of the flare is noticeably different between the 4s and 5. It "could" be the difference in materials. Not everyone on the planet knows what all this techno stuff does. For example, my wife would have no clue, nor would she care to know about sapphire being used as the lens.

I just prefer to educate someone when they have misconceptions rather than telling them "You just don't get it." or telling them they are stupid for no understanding something.
This is what he said:

If you're going to mention that the camera is made of Crystal, I want to see results, I want to see some shine. I don't mind a purple glare, if I know it's because of the crystals. The less likely to scratch part is good news to my ears, the iPhone 4 had a big ugly scratch right down the middle of the lens. Not with this phone!

Take it as you will, but I'm just confused.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:22 AM   #48
bonskovsky
Banned

The misconception is this: Apple used a sapphire crystal lens on the camera of the iPhone 5, yet it looks like plain old glass.

When I bought the phone, I thought it would sparkle and glisten. I thought it would be shiny.

I mean if Apple is going to compare it to a Rolex watch. The outer edge of it is shiny (the white one), so that helps.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:26 AM   #49
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The misconception is this: Apple used a sapphire crystal lens on the camera of the iPhone 5, yet it looks like plain old glass.

When I bought the phone, I thought it would sparkle and glisten. I thought it would be shiny.

I mean if Apple is going to compare it to a Rolex watch. The outer edge of it is shiny (the white one), so that helps.
Are you serious? They used the sapphire lens because of its hardness and resistance to scratching. Not to sparkle and shine like a gem stone.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:16 PM   #50
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Apples marketing is second to none. People eat it up.
I agree.

Now that their master pitchman is deceased it will be difficult to whip the fans into a frenzy. Apple needs to find someone to fill that role.
maxosx is offline   2

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland