Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:06 AM   #76
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
It is in your opinion that the iPhone 5 is not marketed like a Rolex watch. It's just like a Rolex.

It's made from the same materials.
No. It's not. The iPhone 5 is made from aluminum. Rolex watches are made from a variety of types of materials such platinum and gold and stainless steel.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:11 AM   #77
bonskovsky
Banned

http://images.apple.com/iphone/desig...sion_title.png

It doesn't have to BE a Rolex, it's just like a Rolex. You don't think the design is similar to that of a finely crafted watch, superior to other phones in the market?
bonskovsky is offline   1
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:15 AM   #78
syd430

Delete

Last edited by syd430; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:19 AM   #79
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:

It doesn't have to BE a Rolex, it's just like a Rolex. You don't think the design is similar to that of a finely crafted watch, superior to other phones in the market?
I don't compare the design of the two. I've never been a big fancy watch person anyway, but I know how intricate the internals of a watch are. Which is what apple was going for in its marketing by saying the build quality and construction quality of the iPhone 5 are like that of a finely crafted watch. They are not saying that their phones will look like a finally crafted watch. The level of detail that went into the design and build of the phone is "up to par" with that of finely crafted watches. Yes I do think the iPhone material and build is superior to other phones. I never said it wasn't. You're just grossly misconstruing everything you've heard and read about the iPhone 5 from the marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
And with that. I'm out.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:39 AM   #80
bonskovsky
Banned

I think some people don't fully appreciate the quality of the phones. I've seen some people with iPhones that are clueless when it comes to the quality of it, they don't even know how to handle one.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Jan 14, 2013 at 01:54 AM.
bonskovsky is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:02 AM   #81
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I think some people don't fully appreciate the quality of the phones. I've seen some people with iPhones that are clueless when it comes to the quality of it, they don't even know how to handle one.
Your last comment (before your edit) about more HD than HDTV was confused with the iPad's retina display. They never said that about the iPhone. The iPad's screen has more pixels than an HDTV. That's why it was more HD than an HDTV.

Ok, now I'm done.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:28 AM   #82
bonskovsky
Banned

If you didn't think the new iPhone is built like a Rolex and almost feels like a Rolex, what drew you to getting the phone?

Last edited by bonskovsky; Jan 14, 2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:40 AM   #83
Megalobyte
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If you didn't think the new iPhone is built like a Rolex and almost feels like a Rolex, what drew you to getting the phone?
Probably things that, you know, phones, not watches, do.
Megalobyte is offline   4
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:16 AM   #84
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
Probably things that, you know, phones, not watches, do.
I'm going to have to agree with OP and say that you are in the wrong here. The two products are directly comparable.

I'm guessing you just haven't seen Rolex's new 2013 line:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rolex.png
Views:	28
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	390189  
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:32 AM   #85
apolloa
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philscbx View Post
Totally Misconstrued - One needs to understand totally enclosed machining processes flooded with coolant.
Just how many millions of crystalline diamond's were involved?
Crush a spoonful of salt to powder - It's still salt.
You mean Apple are totally misconstrued seeing as the wording on their website states the exact opposite of what you have said.
apolloa is online now   0
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:29 AM   #86
bonskovsky
Banned

Okay, so now I can see we're on different stances about this. For the record, Rolexes are just watches, but the reason they are status symbols (the reason the Royal Navy uses them) is because they are expertly designed.

The same goes for the iPhone 5. It's just a phone, but the design makes it much more than just that. Some people just don't appreciate that.

This is what I expect when I open the box. What makes luxury is not about what it does, but how it's made.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:12 AM   #87
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

Quote:
# 1 Biggest misconception

Faster Wi-Fi

I was drawn to this phone because I thought that if it could be faster simply internally.. I just thought that was cool. I mean, at first I didn't think you could make Wi-Fi faster. The Wi-Fi is at a set speed. But Apple said that it was something about the phone's recievers that make the phone actually process a better Wi-Fi connection.

It doesn't. It's just the same old Wi-Fi connection. Alot of people were pretty mad about that.

Diamond cut beveled edge

The way that Apple talks about it on their website, they refer to the phone as having a "Diamond cut beveled edge" .. now that I have the phone, I'm left thinking, where's the diamond cut? What, is it supposed to be like extra sharp? The edges of the iPhone 4S/4 felt more solid and was made of stainless steel.

Camera

Somehow, I felt like the camera was supposed to be, like, crazy good, but it just feels like a regular camera. The panorama is a nice touch though, is the front camera 1080p?

Speed

It doesn't really feel any faster than the iPhone I already had even though I know it is. I mean I still have to wait for apps to load.

But, I DID notice that there's a shorter boot time, which I like. I'm also surprised by the volume bump. It's definitely louder.

The way they talked about it, it just seemed like you could actually feel results. I do, but just not in the way that I thought I would.

What did you think about the iPhone 5 when you opened the box?
Processing a better connection does not mean faster connection.

The look on the iPhone 5's edges is supposed to have a mirror look finish like the ones found on a diamond.

You don't feel the phone faster? I do, and I came for a 4S, it's not much faster, but it is. Apps DO need to load in order to process its data you know?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:54 AM   #88
Jman13
macrumors 65816

Ok...don't know why I'm participating in this thread, as it's quite obvious the misconceptions are with the OP and not with anyone else or with Apple.

1. Do you know how much a Rolex costs? We're talking tens of thousands of dollars, and the only 'technical' portions are the time mechanism. You honestly expect a phone that costs $600 to have the exact same materials and hand made craftsmanship as a $25,000 watch AND have a full blown computer with display and wireless connectivity? Uh huh. (to be fair, if you want a 'cheap' Rolex, you can get a stainless steel one without diamonds for about $5,000.)

2. While not directly comparable to a Rolex, if you don't think the fit and finish of the iPhone 5 is precise and well made, you've obviously never held another smartphone. Apple managed to make this phone extremely thin, with precision made materials and tight tolerances, while packing in a ton of power and good battery life. You obviously have absolutely no idea about the engineering and manufacturing process.

3. As has been pointed out repeatedly, the 'diamond cut' and 'sapphire crystal lens' have nothing to do with being 'shiny.' They refer to the method of chamfering the metal, and the material the camera lens is made from. Expecting a camera lens to sparkly is beyond ridiculous...it has to be transparent in order to focus light on the camera sensor.

4. You seem to take one word or phrase from Apple's marketing, and instead of viewing it for what it is: marketing; you turn it completely around into something that is wildly beyond what Apple is actually claiming. You see "The level of precision is what you would expect from a finely crafted watch." and you hear in your head "The iPhone 5 is as high quality as a Rolex." The two statements are nowhere NEAR the same thing.

First of all, precision means the tight tolerances in the manufacturing process. I assure you, the iPhone 5 easily meets this level of precision. It says NOTHING about the materials used. The iPhone is made from Aluminum and Glass, not high grade stainless steel, gold, platinum and diamonds.

5. I came from a 4S and I still felt the massive speed increase. Especially with processor intensive actions on photo processing (Hipstamatic, for instance, processes photos at least twice as fast, if not faster, on the iPhone 5 than on the 4S). Benchmarks back this up...my iPhone 5 scores about 1580 on Geekbench, while my 4S was around 760.
Jman13 is offline   4
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:32 PM   #89
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

The OP is well-written and obviously trolling.

OP, well done. I've had a stressful week and reading this thread has been some great relief.
Jimmy James is offline   1
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:35 PM   #90
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
I'm going to have to agree with OP and say that you are in the wrong here. The two products are directly comparable.

I'm guessing you just haven't seen Rolex's new 2013 line:
Is that an logo I see near the bottom of that Rolex watch? On the strap?
mrsir2009 is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:07 PM   #91
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Another misconception is, they said that they fused the touchscreen and the display, so it's like you're actually touching the content.

I don't feel the results from that statement either. It feels like a regular iPhone.
I notice a big difference in the display. The colours feel like they're jumping out at you. On the 4/4S there was thick, reflective glass over the touch screen. It not only made the phone heavier and thicker, it also made the screen more reflective and less vibrant. With the iphone 5, graphics on the retina display look like they're painted on because they're so clear and immediate. I could never go back to a 4/4S. The iphone 5 is actually underrated, IMO.
unobtainium is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:12 PM   #92
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

You notice the processor power in apps like Safari and movie editing and all that. Plus the extra 512 mb of ram sure does help alot.

The back camera is a slightly improved 4S camera with much better low light performance.

The front camera is a nice bump from the previous front facing camera. Its actually alot clearer, I compared my front facing camera to my cousins HTC EVO 4g LTE and the iphone 5 camera blew his camera away in the front it was night and day

LTE is a very nice improvement and really makes the i5 more future proof. The new A6 chip is quite fast and i heard iOS 6.1 is going to make the i5 even faster. The A6 gpu is top of the line today only the next generation cortex a-15 processors will surpass the a6 tricore gpu.

I think in terms of relative performance, the geekbench mark score shows iphone 5 1000 points over the 4S and that has to do alot with the memory side of the SoC.
Bahroo is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:38 PM   #93
bonskovsky
Banned

That's what I like about iPhone and A6 chips, there's all that unlocked power you don't see.

You'll notice that when you're switching between apps it's more effortless.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Jan 14, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:44 PM   #94
bonskovsky
Banned

Got another misconception for ya.

So what does the lightning port actually do? I mean does it help anything? What else can you use it for? It's not like it's lightning fast.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:51 PM   #95
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Guidelines: Show respect for your fellow posters. Expect and accept that other users may have strongly held opinions that differ from yours.

Rules:

Name-calling. Name-calling falls into the category of insults and will be treated as such according to the forum rules, your own opinion about another member notwithstanding.

You can't call a bigot a bigot, a troll a troll, or a fanboy a fanboy, any more than you can call an idiot an idiot.

You can disagree with the content of another member's statement or give your evidence or opinion to dispute their claims, but you may not make a negative personal characterization about that member.
Insults. Slurs and insults against groups of people based on negative-stereotyping and obvious generalizations fall into the category of trolling and will be treated as such.
Taunting. Mocking or taunting another forum member is not acceptable. Posts that ridicule another member or obviously exaggerate or misstate their views may be removed.

source: http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Rul...opriate_Debate
maxosx is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:05 PM   #96
phixionalninja
macrumors member

Quote:

So what does the lightning port actually do? I mean does it help anything? What else can you use it for? It's not like it's lightning fast.
Plus, neither it nor the Thunderbolt electrocute people! Totally misleading names, to be sure.

The Lightning connector is 80% smaller than the 30-pin, reversible, and potentially has the pins to support USB 3.0 in future (though obviously that last one isn't a sure thing).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:26 PM   #97
unagimiyagi
macrumors 6502

Quote:

This is not true (the claim that this phone is crafted with the precision of a finely crafted watch) b/c I've seen all kinds of imperfections, esp around those edges. No finely crafted watch would ship in the numbers that the iPhone 5 ships in, and no finely crafted watch would let so many clearly imperfect units pass its quality control None. It's absolutely true that the chipping in the black anodization happens. I've seen it too many times from phones out in public. Apple could have used a better anodization process to prevent this, and they simply did not b/c it's more expensive. This claim is marketing, b/c I think that there are several other phones that are as finely crafted or even finer than the iphone 5.
unagimiyagi is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:32 PM   #98
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

It looks like you have some serious misconceptions about your misconceptions.

Quote:

The point of the lightning port is it's smaller and easier to use (reversible). The phone's band is actually thinner than a 30 pin connector. You can't make a phone that's thinner than it's own connector, so they had to make a new one.

Quote:
# 1 Biggest misconception

Faster Wi-Fi

I was drawn to this phone because I thought that if it could be faster simply internally.. I just thought that was cool. I mean, at first I didn't think you could make Wi-Fi faster. The Wi-Fi is at a set speed. But Apple said that it was something about the phone's recievers that make the phone actually process a better Wi-Fi connection.

It doesn't. It's just the same old Wi-Fi connection. Alot of people were pretty mad about that.
No, no it's not. The Wi-Fi in the phone is light years ahead of other phones. However you need a 3 antena router to make use of it. It's not Apple's fault that your router isn't fast enough to take advantage of the iPhone.

Quote:
Diamond cut beveled edge

The way that Apple talks about it on their website, they refer to the phone as having a "Diamond cut beveled edge" .. now that I have the phone, I'm left thinking, where's the diamond cut? What, is it supposed to be like extra sharp? The edges of the iPhone 4S/4 felt more solid and was made of stainless steel.
The edges on the iPhone 5 are much better made than the 4S. The diamond cutting refers to the chamfer being cut so precisely that it comes out looking polished. On the black iPhone Apple anodizes the whole back, which makes the polished part look like it's painted black and the regular part look grey. The edge wouldn't be black without this special cutting technique.

Diamond cutting means that the tool is coated in a layer of thin diamonds to enhance it's precision.

[quote]Camera

Somehow, I felt like the camera was supposed to be, like, crazy good, but it just feels like a regular camera. The panorama is a nice touch though, is the front camera 1080p?[quote]

Well then you're blind. The iPhone 5 camera is literally 100% better than the old one. In identical situations the iPhone 5's photos will have HALF the noise of the iphone 4S's photos, that is a huge deal and companies like Canon and Nikon spend hundreds of millions of dollars to get just 20% less noise or 30%, and they will charge you tens of thousands more for a camera that just has 30% less noise. Apple reduced the noise by 50%

Quote:
Speed

It doesn't really feel any faster than the iPhone I already had even though I know it is. I mean I still have to wait for apps to load.
So pretty much your mad that the phone isn't magic. Making something twice as fast is a huge leap.

Quote:
But, I DID notice that there's a shorter boot time, which I like. I'm also surprised by the volume bump. It's definitely louder.

The way they talked about it, it just seemed like you could actually feel results. I do, but just not in the way that I thought I would.

What did you think about the iPhone 5 when you opened the box?
The iPhone 5 was a leap in technology that was earth shattering in many ways. You will never see this much of an improvement from one generation of cell phone to another in history in so many areas all at once. If you're disappointed in this, no upgrade will ever satisfy you for the rest of your life.
Radiating is offline   1
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:38 PM   #99
el-John-o
macrumors 65816

Quote:
How do you cut something with a diamond in the first place?

I don't know, I just heard the word diamond and thought it would be shiny or something.

Didn't they also say something about having diamonds inside the camera?
It IS very shiny, that beveled polished edge (it's painted over in the black/slate model, though) is cut with a diamond blade. As you probably know, diamonds are extremely hard, meaning they can be fashioned into excellent blade.

It's not like they took a diamond ring and started hacking away, there are actually machine tools that use specially cut and formed bits of diamond as bits and blades. It's actually used a lot in manufacturing.

Also, the 'faster Wi-Fi' is because the iPhone 5 now uses 5GHz Wireless N. If you have a router that supports it (and reliably supports it) it is MUCH faster, up to 450mbps. The problem there is, if you have a 12mbps internet connection, the internet isn't going to be any faster! However, iTunes Wi-Fi syncing can actually be just as fast wirelessly as when plugged in via USB if on a 5GHz Wireless N network. There are other handsets that use 5GHz Wireless N, but very few. The iPhone is typically regarded as having one of the most reliable Wi-Fi systems, though other sets are improving.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:29 PM   #100
comper
macrumors member

Can you people stop responding and let this thread die already? I didn't say anything before because I didn't want to contribute to bumping this topic, but it keeps growing and needs to stop. This guy is an obvious troll. Quit responding to his ignorant comments.
comper is offline   5

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland