Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:38 PM   #101
bonskovsky
Banned

I've actually learned some legitimate new things in this thread. These are legitimate misconceptions.

But while I'm on the subject, I have another one. I can't tell you how many comments I've gotten from people saying that the iPhone five is not really a big upgrade.

They just say. "It's got a bigger screen but that's about it."

Have you heard that before? Is that what Apple wants people to think about the new phone?
bonskovsky is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:43 PM   #102
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
Another misconception is FaceTime. When I watched the demo I thought my mom would be in the iPhone. iPhone 5 is terrible because it didn't meet my curiously uninformed expectations.
That was hilarious!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
The misconception is this: Apple used a sapphire crystal lens on the camera of the iPhone 5, yet it looks like plain old glass.

When I bought the phone, I thought it would sparkle and glisten. I thought it would be shiny.

I mean if Apple is going to compare it to a Rolex watch. The outer edge of it is shiny (the white one), so that helps.
This boggles my mind. This is your own misconception. I never thought I'd get a sparkly phone.
tl01 is offline   2
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:53 PM   #103
bonskovsky
Banned

Even Phil Schiller said it was an "absolute jewel".

Last edited by bonskovsky; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:03 PM   #104
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Even Phil Schiller said it was an "absolute jewel".
You are joking! You can't take things that literally. You can say a car purrs like a kitten... But there's no cat under the hood...
tl01 is offline   2
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:32 PM   #105
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I remember trying to download an app that said that it would *not* work on a iPhone 4. They said it could only run on a iPhone 5. This was a game.

I noticed that Google Earth runs like water. I was impressed by that. It renders everything instantly, no hiccups. With the iPhone five screen, it's like heaven. Vs the iPhone 4 where it load then zoomed load then zoomed load then zoomed.

iOS itself is not as fast as it gets. It could be faster. I should not be seeing blank screens while waiting for the phone or weather app to load. This was an egregious problem on the iPhone 4. You had to sit and wait for the weather app to load.
Lol what are you talking about Weather opens up as soon as the animation is done on my i5
Bahroo is offline   0
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:46 PM   #106
itjw
macrumors 6502a

They said it was "jewel-like". I took it to a jeweler and guess what???

NO DICE!

BAM!!! Those Apple liars were at it again! They lied to me, and I only bought it thinking I would get a jewel. Since it's not a jewel I figured I would post about it.

I realize they actually said "jewel-like" so I went back to the jeweler just to re-confirm my horror.

He indeed said the phone was not anything "like" a typical jewel he uses, and get this, he said:

"IT WAS PROBABLY JUST MARKETING!!!"

Then I was really . I was like "I'm such an IDIOT for believing what I heard even though I could have EASILY spent ten seconds online PRIOR to purchasing it (and coming online to complain about it) to find out it WASN'T what I wanted".

I am starting a fund to help me recover from my horror. I will post a donation link soon. Can you believe this happened???

itjw is offline   2
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:51 PM   #107
pat park
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How do you cut something with a diamond in the first place?

I don't know, I just heard the word diamond and thought it would be shiny or something.
Diamond crystals are embedded on a cutting bit.

You are reading things about the iPhone but some of your comprehension is off inaccurate.

Btw, I do get a big kick out of your posts.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:50 PM   #108
bonskovsky
Banned

What? If it was cut with diamonds. Isn't that kind of an expensive yet unnecessary thing to do?

The very first thing that happens to an iPhone 5 is the edges chip. And here I am sitting here debating on whether or not I should get diamond of my own to use like sandpaper and saw out the nicks.
bonskovsky is offline   1
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:06 PM   #109
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What? If it was cut with diamonds. Isn't that kind of an expensive yet unnecessary thing to do?

The very first thing that happens to an iPhone 5 is the edges chip. And here I am sitting here debating on whether or not I should get diamond of my own to use like sandpaper and saw out the nicks.
:headslam

You should totally get a diamond to use as sandpaper. Only the big diamonds will work. In fact... Only a blue diamond bc you want it to work on the sapphire crystal too.
tl01 is offline   2
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:03 AM   #110
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl01 View Post

You should totally get a diamond to use as sandpaper. Only the big diamonds will work. In fact... Only a blue diamond bc you want it to work on the sapphire crystal too.

LMAO !!!! Yes, nothing less than a Flawless, D color will work!

This comic thread is a stress reliever !!!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:39 AM   #111
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

To be honest I think they use the phrase 'diamond cut' in their marketing because it sounds expensive and impressive. They do use industrial diamond cutting, but this is used widely across the manufacturing industry and I have commissioned such processes myself. It provides a clean finish and is effective. The side of the iPhone is aluminium which is a soft metal and its very easy to acquire a nice shiny finish. It looks great on the iPhone but I would get too caught up with it just because the word 'diamond' is used. Some injection moulding processes cost more to achieve.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:08 AM   #112
Gav2k
macrumors 601

Quote:

The correct term is glass paper
Gav2k is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:40 AM   #113
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Quote:
.. where's the diamond cut? What, is it supposed to be like extra sharp? The edges of the iPhone 4S/4 felt more solid and was made of stainless steel...

...I still have to wait for apps to load...

...I just heard the word diamond and thought it would be shiny or something...

...Didn't they also say something about having diamonds inside the camera?...

...If you're going to mention that the camera is made of Crystal, I want to see results...

...I thought the iPhone 5 could play 4K video...

...But I'm pretty sure it's 1080p, that was one of the things they said...

...Apple used a sapphire crystal lens on the camera of the iPhone 5, yet it looks like plain old glass. When I bought the phone, I thought it would sparkle and glisten. I thought it would be shiny...

...So what does the lightning port actually do? I mean does it help anything? What else can you use it for? It's not like it's lightning fast...

...Even Phil Schiller said it was an "absolute jewel"...

... here I am sitting here debating on whether or not I should get diamond of my own to use like sandpaper and saw out the nicks.
Well this brightened up my morning!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:45 AM   #114
el-John-o
macrumors 65816

Personally, I'm going to continue to purchase competing products that ALSO do not do the things I demand my iPhone to do, under the sheer principle that the iPhone still doesn't allow me to teleport to the starship enterprise.

C'mon Apple. What are you just sitting around over there?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:49 AM   #115
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
I was drawn to this phone because I thought that if it could be faster simply internally.. I just thought that was cool. I mean, at first I didn't think you could make Wi-Fi faster. The Wi-Fi is at a set speed. But Apple said that it was something about the phone's recievers that make the phone actually process a better Wi-Fi connection.

It doesn't. It's just the same old Wi-Fi connection. Alot of people were pretty mad about that.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6yikWP30wC...1211973759.jpg
False.

The iPhone 5 supports 40MHz wide channels on the 5GHz band, which results in a connection speed of 150MBit/s as opposed to the 65MBit/s of the iPhone 4S.

Last edited by Giuly; Jan 23, 2013 at 04:02 AM.
Giuly is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:41 AM   #116
Zac7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat park View Post
Diamond crystals are embedded on a cutting bit.

You are reading things about the iPhone but some of your comprehension is off inaccurate.

Btw, I do get a big kick out of your posts.
Haha agreed. This guys posts are awesome.
Zac7 is offline   1
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:46 AM   #117
TallGuy1970
macrumors 6502

Quote:
# 1 Biggest misconception

Faster Wi-Fi

I was drawn to this phone because I thought that if it could be faster simply internally.. I just thought that was cool. I mean, at first I didn't think you could make Wi-Fi faster. The Wi-Fi is at a set speed. But Apple said that it was something about the phone's recievers that make the phone actually process a better Wi-Fi connection.

It doesn't. It's just the same old Wi-Fi connection. Alot of people were pretty mad about that.

Diamond cut beveled edge

The way that Apple talks about it on their website, they refer to the phone as having a "Diamond cut beveled edge" .. now that I have the phone, I'm left thinking, where's the diamond cut? What, is it supposed to be like extra sharp? The edges of the iPhone 4S/4 felt more solid and was made of stainless steel.

Camera

Somehow, I felt like the camera was supposed to be, like, crazy good, but it just feels like a regular camera. The panorama is a nice touch though, is the front camera 1080p?

Speed

It doesn't really feel any faster than the iPhone I already had even though I know it is. I mean I still have to wait for apps to load.

But, I DID notice that there's a shorter boot time, which I like. I'm also surprised by the volume bump. It's definitely louder.

The way they talked about it, it just seemed like you could actually feel results. I do, but just not in the way that I thought I would.

What did you think about the iPhone 5 when you opened the box?
I can't speak about moving from the 4S, but moving from the 4 to the 5, all of the marketing points you mentioned are true. Your arguments are all baseless from my personal experience!
TallGuy1970 is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:04 PM   #118
bonskovsky
Banned

I am not trying to troll here I really thought the phone would come out with more noticeable changes.

With all the money and power Apple has, they could've definitely made a different phone a new phone but they didn't do that I don't really believe that they tried to go for something different they wanted it to be as similar as possible they want to stick to the basics
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:53 PM   #119
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

You have turned my morning around at work. Good show, sir.

Please continue. Anything else you thought the iPhone 5 was capable of?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:51 PM   #120
pat park
macrumors 6502a

Op needs to do some standup comedy. Or write for a comedy show.

He has a subtle style. You're not sure if its serious or funny. You wonder how does he come up with this stuff.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:10 PM   #121
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I am not trying to troll here I really thought the phone would come out with more noticeable changes.

With all the money and power Apple has, they could've definitely made a different phone a new phone but they didn't do that I don't really believe that they tried to go for something different they wanted it to be as similar as possible they want to stick to the basics
What you miss is that Apple pulled off a marvel of engineering: They redesigned the iPhone 5 completely from the ground up. New taller screen, complete new body design and material as well as new innards. The trick was to do all this redesigning and keep it looking (at a glance) exactly like the previous iPhone. That took some weebles.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:20 PM   #122
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Got another misconception for ya.

So what does the lightning port actually do? I mean does it help anything? What else can you use it for? It's not like it's lightning fast.
It is lightning fast. 300,000 km/s. This is a well known fact! You have a bottleneck elsewhere if you're not seeing these speeds.
Jimmy James is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:21 PM   #123
el-John-o
macrumors 65816

I'm just gonna pose a simple question here...

SHOULD it be radically different? What are people expecting?

I mean, radical changes fit small niche's, but the iPhone is a blend of 'good enough' for EVERYONE. The iPhone sells on-par with EVERY OTHER Android handset COMBINED. They sell B.I.L.L.I.O.N.S. of them.

Why on earth would you radically, significantly alter a formula like that?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:24 PM   #124
bonskovsky
Banned

Radically different is not even Apple's style.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Jan 23, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:34 PM   #125
bonskovsky
Banned

Also, when is Apple coming out with a 5G phone?

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland