Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:21 PM   #126
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
Also, when is Apple coming out with a 5G phone?
What carrier has 5g??? I might need to headslam again! 5g appears to be entirely different from 4g.

Have you considered googling 5g before asking random questions? A quick search would tell you we could be almost decade away from 5g.

Last edited by tl01; Jan 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
tl01 is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:31 PM   #127
bonskovsky
Banned

Wouldn't 5G just be LTE? I mean if LTE delivers 4G, wouldn't it also deliver 5G?
bonskovsky is offline   0
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:37 PM   #128
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Wouldn't 5G just be LTE? I mean if LTE delivers 4G, wouldn't it also deliver 5G?
Research about it... It looks like it would function in a totally different way.
tl01 is offline   1
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:59 PM   #129
Zac7
macrumors 6502a

Just when I thought it couldn't get better, he throws out a 5g question. Fantastic thread.
Zac7 is offline   3
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:25 PM   #130
preyan
macrumors regular

Technology is only as powerful as the technology it needs to operate, around you! Wifi shouldn't be an issue, depending in your Internet line and connectivity!
preyan is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:40 AM   #131
Appl3FTW
macrumors 65816

No problem for me whatsoever... maybe ur connection is slow.
Appl3FTW is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:12 AM   #132
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
Apple's marketing is second to none as is their word choices (diamond cut for example).

The iPhone 5 redesign is quite amazing in itself, except they used too soft aluminum, too cheap a finish and have gone too thin with the design so that it's far more fragile than the 4/4S (bending and screens popping out).

These issues aside, if you're not too rough on your phone, it will probably be a great device for you, but spec-wise, there's not too much else you can do with a phone to dazzle people.

I'm particularly interested in where Apple goes with the iPhone 6 from here.

I agree with you mostly, but the iPhone 5 does not have a cheap finish

----------

Quote:
Judging by your posts, you should REALLY try and read more about the phone. And the Apple website isn't the best place to do that. People are laughing at you

----------

Quote:
I've actually learned some legitimate new things in this thread. These are legitimate misconceptions.

But while I'm on the subject, I have another one. I can't tell you how many comments I've gotten from people saying that the iPhone five is not really a big upgrade.

They just say. "It's got a bigger screen but that's about it."

Have you heard that before? Is that what Apple wants people to think about the new phone?
These are not legitimate misconceptions. This is you not understanding it.

Also, the real misconception is when people say that it's only got a bigger screen. Someone would have to be smoking some really, really powerful stuff to not notice any difference
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:13 AM   #133
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Apples marketing is second to none. People eat it up.
You're absolutely correct.

Yet losing the worlds best salesman, now they have their hands full.
maxosx is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:15 AM   #134
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What? If it was cut with diamonds. Isn't that kind of an expensive yet unnecessary thing to do?

The very first thing that happens to an iPhone 5 is the edges chip. And here I am sitting here debating on whether or not I should get diamond of my own to use like sandpaper and saw out the nicks.
Those diamonds are man-made. They are much cheaper.

And they are not the polished diamonds you find on rings. These are man-made, industrial diamonds that line the cutting bits to make them very sharp. So when they cut the corners of the phone, it looks nice and shiny.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:48 AM   #135
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
I agree with you mostly, but the iPhone 5 does not have a cheap finish[COLOR="#808080"]
I disagree. Most people with an iPhone 5's corners are chipped. It's as if just looking at it is enough to chip them. I bet if the phone actually was made of diamonds like they advertised, it wouldn't chip as easily because diamond is one of the hardest structures on earth.

You think people want chipped phones?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:54 AM   #136
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I disagree. Most people with an iPhone 5's corners are chipped. It's as if just looking at it is enough to chip them. I bet if the phone actually was made of diamonds like they advertised, it wouldn't chip as easily because diamond is one of the hardest structures on earth.

Are you experiencing chipping with your black iPhone?

I haven't seen Apple claim the phone is made from a material with the tensile strength of a diamond, but would welcome the correction. Applying a diamond cut to aluminium or any other metal just provides a clean finish and this should not be confused with giving the material diamond like qualities.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:00 AM   #137
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:

When did Apple actually say it's made of diamonds?

And just because it may get chipped, doesn't mean that the finish is not good. I told you, it's that the shiny corners are cut with a special drill bit which has artificial diamonds embedded to make it a very smooth and shiny cut.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:33 AM   #138
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Please let this thread die. It's been drawn out way too long.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:45 AM   #139
Zac7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

haha, where is this structure you speak of? I haven't heard of the diamond building or tower.

Sorry all done, really do need to let this thing die. Wasteland....
Zac7 is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:49 AM   #140
Browns2212
macrumors regular

Quote:

I completely disagree with that statement....that "most people with an iPhone 5 have chipped corners".

Maybe you could say that most owners experience "scratches", but I don't think that most are "chipped".

But heck, most metal devices the size of phones are going to sustain scratches especially with the amount they are used. I mean, most people carry their phones EVERYWHERE with them and use them A LOT. Of course they are going to sustain wear and tear.
Browns2212 is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:50 AM   #141
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Geez!

I'm super bothered. This is my THIRD iPhone and the home button has never once gotten me to my house. I want a refund!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:06 AM   #142
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
I'm super bothered. This is my THIRD iPhone and the home button has never once gotten me to my house. I want a refund!
I will allow it if we can continue getting posts like this.

winning.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:14 AM   #143
sectime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
Push the Home Button three times to receive instant refund
sectime is offline   1
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:48 AM   #144
OCS12
macrumors newbie

I'm just as mad as the original poster. The lies and false advertising not only disappointed me, but even chipped one of my teeth!

I tried to take a bite out of it because those jerks told me it was an APPLE!!!
OCS12 is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:24 AM   #145
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Please let this thread die. It's been drawn out way too long.
Sadly it is almost fun now.
tl01 is offline   1
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:01 PM   #146
bonskovsky
Banned

Okay, tell me. What is the real point of telling people that the phone is cut with diamonds?

So far, all I know is that diamond cuts mean scuffing and scratching.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/186m...g/original.jpg

Maybe the iPhone 4 was made out of stainless steel and you couldn't get good reception, but you never saw anything like this!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:08 PM   #147
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Okay, tell me. What is the real point of telling people that the phone is cut with diamonds?

Maybe the iPhone 4 was made out of stainless steel and you couldn't get good reception, but you never saw anything like this!
Because that person treated their phone like crap. It's been dropped or scraped against something. That's not normal wear.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:23 PM   #148
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Because that person treated their phone like crap. It's been dropped or scraped against something. That's not normal wear.
*shakes head disappointingly*
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:24 PM   #149
OCS12
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Simple. It's to sell to people like you that think "diamond cut" means something special. You are the kind of individual that advertising folks dream of!!!

I hope you realize that you can walk down the aisle of a Home Depot and find a vast selection of diamond blades for everything from angle grinders to RotoZips to cut off saws. They aren't anything special. They aren't very expensive. They are as common as common can be. They're even more common for industrial use.

But it sounds good in advertising. It's not a lie. It is simply fluffy words to entice the mindless sheep. Yes, I'm referring to you.
OCS12 is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:26 PM   #150
el-John-o
macrumors 65816

Quote:

It's all just marketing, it's not special or even unique.

In fact, I even know of a WINDOW SCREEN manufacturer, that makes those little aluminum screens you stick in your windows? They use diamonds to cut the aluminum strips the screens are made of. It's this tiny black 'wheel'. Simply, for high volume manufacturing it's actually cheaper. Steel blades have to be replaced constantly, diamond blades last a LOT longer because they are harder. It's just a blade, not someones ring.. it's a cruddy cheap diamond ground down to a fine edge and spun at high RPM's and used to cut aluminum. It makes clean cuts without leaving snags, and stays sharp through a high volume of product. This particular place replaces the blades about once every few months, as opposed to every other day with steel blades.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland