Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I've ordered my first Mac, (27 inch iMac) and I've ordered some ram to install in the iMac when it arrives.

I was wondering, how do I check the installed ram for faults?

Is there a application etc with Mountain Lion that would allow me to do this?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've ordered my first Mac, (27 inch iMac) and I've ordered some ram to install in the iMac when it arrives.

I was wondering, how do I check the installed ram for faults?

Is there a application etc with Mountain Lion that would allow me to do this?

Check out our MacRumors guide to Testing RAM. You should find what you need in there. :)

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I've just downloaded Memtest, not sure though if it will run on Mountain Lion?

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I did on my 2011 MBP running newest version of ML.. Seemed to be pretty thorough, and really made it Work and Heat Up as I recall.. This is the Link to the Download I used, I imagine it is the same:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/03/memtest-mac-ram-test/

Thanks for the help bobcan its much appreciated.

I think Memtest will be the best, most thorough thing to use for checking for errors in my ram. Thanks again.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Thanks for the help bobcan its much appreciated.

I think Memtest will be the best, most thorough thing to use for checking for errors in my ram. Thanks again.

You are very Welcome of course.. I have run it 3-4 times sporadically on my last two MBP's just to learn what goes on.. and I did use it to to help me confirm it WAS my Computer Hardware issue on my current MBP ** my Logic Board was at fault, RAM-1 slot just died!! ~ Seems like a good helper!!

** If you open up Activity Monitor when 'memtest' is running, you will see it uses virtually ALL the RAM available, and I made sure the FANS were keping it cool.. and I have 'tested' to see if it will allow some use of computer as well, and have to say it does, although SLOWER indeed seemingly.. I could find no evidence this would be harmful, so I just carried on as such!!

Good Luck and hope it helps!! ;)

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
UK
You are very Welcome of course.. I have run it 3-4 times sporadically on my last two MBP's just to learn what goes on.. and I did use it to to help me confirm it WAS my Computer Hardware issue on my current MBP ** my Logic Board was at fault, RAM-1 slot just died!! ~ Seems like a good helper!!

** If you open up Activity Monitor when 'memtest' is running, you will see it uses virtually ALL the RAM available, and I made sure the FANS were keping it cool.. and I have 'tested' to see if it will allow some use of computer as well, and have to say it does, although SLOWER indeed seemingly.. I could find no evidence this would be harmful, so I just carried on as such!!

Good Luck and hope it helps!! ;)

Thanks again bob for the help.

Hopefully I shouldn't be waiting too much longer to install the ram as my iMac is showing "preparing for shipment" :)

I'll install the ram as soon as I take my iMac out of the box (saves me taking the iMac off the desk, disconnecting everything again later) and I'll then run Memtest once I've went through the initial setup stage of a new Mac.

This will be my first Mac and I'm really looking forward to moving to Mac and learning the Mac way of doing things :)

Thanks again bob.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Cool.. I don't think there would be any reason NOT to put it in ASAP, so carry on unless someone wiser than me has a good idea on that..:cool:

Also, a great site for Do-it-Yourself MAC stuff is ifixit.. Follow iMac and find your Model.. RAM install should take 3-5 minutes (3x Phillips Screws, Remove Vented Cover, Pull 2 Plastic Tabs.. REMOVE & REPLACE!!) just did one last night at my friend's house, put 4x 8GB sticks in where he had 2x 4GB earlier.. Very Zippy!!

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac

Happy MAC'day to you!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.