Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:30 PM   #1
raftr
macrumors regular

Mac Mini 2,1 very slow boot

I have a 2007 Mini (A1176) which has developed a strange delay when booting. The OS it runs is 1.6.8 but it seems to be a hardware issue to me.

It takes a few minutes from pressing Power until the OSX chime, display-on and Apple logo screen, it works normally from there.

I tried all the usual remedies: reset PRAM, SMC, etc. Booted from DVD, replaced RAM, battery — nothing.

One observation though: restarts from OS are instant and if I turn the computer off and turn it on again within about half a minute, it boots up normally. If it is within a minute, the delay shortens to only maybe 15 seconds. Keep it off for a few minutes and it needs a few minutes to start again.

Could this be for instance a failed capacitor in the power board that takes long to charge but then keeps on for some time after the computer is switched off?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:44 PM   #2
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by raftr View Post
I have a 2007 Mini (A1176) which has developed a strange delay when booting. The OS it runs is 1.6.8 but it seems to be a hardware issue to me.

It takes a few minutes from pressing Power until the OSX chime, display-on and Apple logo screen, it works normally from there.

I tried all the usual remedies: reset PRAM, SMC, etc. Booted from DVD, replaced RAM, battery — nothing.

One observation though: restarts from OS are instant and if I turn the computer off and turn it on again within about half a minute, it boots up normally. If it is within a minute, the delay shortens to only maybe 15 seconds. Keep it off for a few minutes and it needs a few minutes to start again.

Could this be for instance a failed capacitor in the power board that takes long to charge but then keeps on for some time after the computer is switched off?
it is old and tired stop turning it on and off. you don't save that much by turning it off. but there may be a simple fix the internal battery should be very close to dead replace it. I will look for a photo

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installi...Battery/1114/1

i think this is the correct set of photos
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:48 PM   #3
raftr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
it is old and tired stop turning it on and off.
Haha, you might be right…

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipma1957 View Post
you don't save that much by turning it off. but there may be a simple fix the internal battery should be very close to dead replace it.
Thanks. I did that already, didn't make any change.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:29 AM   #4
Omnius
macrumors 6502a

that sounds like a power supply issue.
Omnius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:08 AM   #5
philipma1957
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnius View Post
that sounds like a power supply issue.
if that is the case and it may be. Power bricks are for sale on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sa...ni+power&rt=nc
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Perkla
macrumors newbie

Quote:

So it works ok from where the apple logo is showing up ?.. its before that it takes some time to load ?
Perkla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:01 PM   #7
raftr
macrumors regular

Thanks, I will try and test it with a friend's PS before buying a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkla View Post
So it works ok from where the apple logo is showing up ?.. its before that it takes some time to load ?
Yes. Yesterday evening I couldn't wake it up from sleep mode, could be a separate incident, could be that it's getting worse.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Perkla
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Thanks, I will try and test it with a friend's PS before buying a new one.

Yes. Yesterday evening I couldn't wake it up from sleep mode, could be a separate incident, could be that it's getting worse.
Try to format your harddrive and reinstall mac OS ? Take a full backup of all your files first..
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:25 PM   #9
raftr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkla View Post
Try to format your harddrive and reinstall mac OS ? Take a full backup of all your files first..
It's an old computer I am not using, want to pass down in the family as it is still more than most people need. I just would rather not give them a computer that's going to fail soon and cause more hassle than it's worth.

I just woke it up after about half an our of sleep, that took over 15 seconds. This never happens when I wake it up after just a few minutes of sleep.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Perkla
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It's an old computer I am not using, want to pass down in the family as it is still more than most people need. I just would rather not give them a computer that's going to fail soon and cause more hassle than it's worth.

I just woke it up after about half an our of sleep, that took over 15 seconds. This never happens when I wake it up after just a few minutes of sleep.
It could be worth a try to format and reinstall, and if that works it could even be worth upgrading the CPU (depending on whats in there now?) and put in 4gb of ram in it.. and maybe a larger harddrive.. and u will have a decent computer for surfing the web and edit some movies in iMovie and maybe some other stuff for a few more years..

I am doing the same with my mac mini 1.1..

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini