Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgiaach

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
NYC
I just recently bought a new 15" rMBP so I'm recycling my old 17" mbp via Apple's website. Now that I have everything backed up and transferred, I did a 7x erase of the 17" HDD. Once it was done I figured I needed to reinstall the OS.

1. Do you think reinstalling the OS is necessary?

2. If it is, how do I set it up without Registering the computer under my information?

I'm using PowerOn as the recycle and credit service so if anyone has done this before please let me know.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Reinstalling is not necessary, but nice for the buyer.
Once the installation is finished, you come to the registration part and Setup Assistant (where you can copy data from a backup or other Mac), that is when you shut down the computer via holding down the power button.

If you have Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, that will work, I have not tested it with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Mac 101: Preparing your old Mac for sale or recycling

bgiaach

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
NYC
Reinstalling is not necessary, but nice for the buyer.
Once the installation is finished, you come to the registration part and Setup Assistant (where you can copy data from a backup or other Mac), that is when you shut down the computer via holding down the power button.

If you have Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, that will work, I have not tested it with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Mac 101: Preparing your old Mac for sale or recycling

Cool that's exactly what I did but I figured I'd go ahead and ask just to see what everyone had to say.
Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.