Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:31 AM   #1
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Media server

Hi all.

Thinking abiut setting up a Media server (seperate box would run 24/7) in my bedroom, in order to load 2TB hard drive with movies to stream to two Apple TV devices. (I would stream it via Eithernet-Over-Power).... Was thinking just wireless, (as we watch now with Netflix, but would be problematic.)

I've looked into Plex, but i don't think it would play well with XMBC, since you need the Plex client to play from a Plex server.

Any recommendations here regarding Software on the server, but more importantly, how i can stream it to an Apple TV? Eithwe way, i'm sure i'll have to jail-break, thats one thing i'm sure of.

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:04 AM   #2
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

I'm playing right now a bit with plex but simple for the reason my TV can connect directly without Apple TV to the Plex Media Server. Runs under Ubuntu with a FeeBSD NAS. It's really more right now to "play around".

In your case: how about Mac Mini and connect via HomeSharing ? No JB etc needed.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:15 AM   #3
Tech198
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianJapan View Post
I'm playing right now a bit with plex but simple for the reason my TV can connect directly without Apple TV to the Plex Media Server. Runs under Ubuntu with a FeeBSD NAS. It's really more right now to "play around".

In your case: how about Mac Mini and connect via HomeSharing ? No JB etc needed.

Ya.. I thougt about that..... But i really wanted a desktop, so I can easily add more drives and/or replace as necessary.

Although, i know most people would aso use Mac Mini as a streaming sever.

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video