Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:03 AM   #1
sece1212
macrumors newbie

Late Aluminum Macbook 2008?

So, I've been on this website for a few years, but never posted. However, now that I am buying a second hand Mac for the first time (usually bought new from the Apple Store), I need some help! While looking around, I found an Aluminum Macbook for 350$! The owner states there are no cosmetic damage besides a few scratches (which is a given), and nothing wrong internally. He also states that it's the 2.4 ghz model, which has the backlit keyboard. There is one defect in the product, and that is the optical drive doesn't work, which doesn't bother me due to the fact that I want to put two hard drives in the computer. So, after the long post (sorry!), is this computer worth $350?

Thank you, much appreciated!
sece1212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:23 AM   #2
iPhysicist
macrumors 6502a

350$ is a good price. Paid 500€ for mine last year.

Last edited by iPhysicist; Jan 13, 2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: wrong info :-(
iPhysicist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:27 AM   #3
sece1212
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhysicist View Post
350$ is a good price. Paid 500 for mine last year.
Thank you for the quick response! Before I make this purchase, do you think the Macbook will last for a few years, possibly four years of college ?

Sorry for all the questions! I've been saving up money for a new computer but for some reason, this particular model catches my eye! ( Maybe because this model wasn't called the "pro" model yet? )
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:14 AM   #4
peapody
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sece1212 View Post
Thank you for the quick response! Before I make this purchase, do you think the Macbook will last for a few years, possibly four years of college ?

Sorry for all the questions! I've been saving up money for a new computer but for some reason, this particular model catches my eye! ( Maybe because this model wasn't called the "pro" model yet? )
I would say at that price I would just get it no matter what. I'd value that machine maybe at $450-500. It should last you at least 2 or 3 years since it is still a core 2 duo. Your real limitation is programs and applications that require higher system specs, but I think the machine will handle any thing you throw at it today. I'd pick it up before it goes..
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:18 AM   #5
iPhysicist
macrumors 6502a

Put in a SSD and it will be of use for the years to come. I will not say it will be a fast machine but it will do everything OK.
iPhysicist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:24 AM   #6
sece1212
macrumors newbie

Thank you both to the quick responses! I had the idea of putting in the SSD as well as a second hard drive in the computer since the optical drive doesn't work. I guess it's a great deal and I get to check on it before paying! Thank you for helping!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:55 AM   #7
cambookpro
macrumors 601

I'd buy it at that price. Not sure what max RAM it can hold, but I'd definitely upgrade that to maximum if not done already.

With an SSD too, should last a couple of years at least, notwithstanding running any new games, FCP etc.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

In many ways these "older" systems are better than the new ones. That machine only can use 6 gigs of ram but has an Express34 slot for adding drives and an optical bay for a second hard drive to compliment an ssd.

I have a 17 inch 2.5 gig '08 with 6 gigs of ram and an ssd/hd setup. It runs all my Adobe professional apps and Aperture quite well.

Dale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:40 AM   #9
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Sounds like....

you got there a good deal, if the seller if truthful. But IMHO, you can get 2-3 years more from this computer, tops. The aforementioned upgrades (SSD, better HDD and RAM) can help. But 4 years I am not so sure. Forget the apps updates/requirements. For me, main worry is the OS.

Good luck with your deal!

Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:54 AM   #10
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
It won't be good for much besides word processing and internet, Apple will stop supporting it soon. Around my area, my buddy was able to pick one up (in much worse condition) for $350 almost a year ago.

I'd say go for it, but don't plan on it lasting for 4 years without putting some money into it (for new battery, for example).
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:12 AM   #11
sece1212
macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread! Really appreciate it! Well, The owner stated that there is 4GB ram and a 500 internal HD (not SSD). I believe I might upgrade the ram to 8 unless 4 is enough? I am definitely upgrading the hard drive to an SSD while using the 500 GB as a second internal hard drive. These two components along with the computer itself will push the price to about $500.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:15 AM   #12
GizmoDVD
macrumors 6502a

MacBook had a backlit keyboard? Thought that was Pro only?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:16 AM   #13
sece1212
macrumors newbie

The late 2.4 GHZ 2008 Macbook had this feature, but not the others for some odd reason .
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:20 AM   #14
peapody
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who helped me in this thread! Really appreciate it! Well, The owner stated that there is 4GB ram and a 500 internal HD (not SSD). I believe I might upgrade the ram to 8 unless 4 is enough? I am definitely upgrading the hard drive to an SSD while using the 500 GB as a second internal hard drive. These two components along with the computer itself will push the price to about $500.
4gb is enough for run of the mill tasks like browsing and word processing. SSD upgrade will get you more speed.

Keeping the computer stock at $350 will be enough for the average user.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:34 AM   #15
GizmoDVD
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The late 2.4 GHZ 2008 Macbook had this feature, but not the others for some odd reason .
I just researched this. Pretty weird it even had this option. Shame the Black MacBook didn't have this.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:38 AM   #16
sece1212
macrumors newbie

Yeah, pretty weird.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to wait to see how the computer actually runs without e upgrades for now? I could wait for SSD prices to drop a bit more.

I guess the new question is, is it worth paying 500 (with the upgrades included) for an almost 5 year old MacBook?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:18 PM   #17
glenthompson
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I guess the new question is, is it worth paying 500 (with the upgrades included) for an almost 5 year old MacBook?
Iassime a 15" screen? I sold a 17" MBP for $550 last spring. That was with a 500gb drive and 4gb memory. I thought I got a fair price. the $350 is a good deal. Whether you should spend the extra depends on how much performance you want to wring out of it. Check the max memory on that model. It might be limited to 4gb. I currently have 8 and I rarely use much more than 4 to 5gb. Parallels and Windows will eat up the rest if I have to run it.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:29 PM   #18
sece1212
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenthompson View Post
Iassime a 15" screen? I sold a 17" MBP for $550 last spring. That was with a 500gb drive and 4gb memory. I thought I got a fair price. the $350 is a good deal. Whether you should spend the extra depends on how much performance you want to wring out of it. Check the max memory on that model. It might be limited to 4gb. I currently have 8 and I rarely use much more than 4 to 5gb. Parallels and Windows will eat up the rest if I have to run it.
Hello! It's not, it's the Aluminum Macbook 13' before it was renamed the Macbook Pro. My main gripe is the possible change in form factor for the Macbook (for example, they could change it again this year), and I'm not sure a five year old computer could suffice for another four years. Since the total cost would be five-hundred which would be half the price of a cMBP, is this actually a steal or should I just wait 'till the next refresh in June/July?

Once again, thank you everyone who has helped, I really appreciate it.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:52 PM   #19
robershow
macrumors newbie

Btw Apple released an EFI or something along that lines update and now that model can run 8 gigs. I have 8 on mine. Check this link:
http://blog.macsales.com/9102-secret...cbooks-use-8gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Designer Dale View Post
In many ways these "older" systems are better than the new ones. That machine only can use 6 gigs of ram but has an Express34 slot for adding drives and an optical bay for a second hard drive to compliment an ssd.

I have a 17 inch 2.5 gig '08 with 6 gigs of ram and an ssd/hd setup. It runs all my Adobe professional apps and Aperture quite well.

Dale
robershow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:32 PM   #20
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by robershow View Post
Btw Apple released an EFI or something along that lines update and now that model can run 8 gigs. I have 8 on mine. Check this link:
http://blog.macsales.com/9102-secret...cbooks-use-8gb
Thanks for the link. The article references 5,1 systems and those are the first edition unibody models. Mine is ID 4,1 and is the front optical drive body style. If you have the slot on the side it's a 5,1. You can check this in System Profiler.

Dale

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice