Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hi everyone,
I just got the fiancée an iPad mini. I set it up with my Apple ID so she could use all the Apps I got. For Messages and Facetime, though, she would like to use a different e-mail address (so it doesn't look to everyone like I'm calling/writing). However, when I go into settings and attempt to add it, it says "Unable to verify e-mail address because it is already in use." How can I find out where it is in use and ...I dunno, make it not in use :))) there? She had an old iPad 1, but it was wiped clean and the iPad mini was set up using the backup from her iPad 1. Otherwise she had no Apple products, so I'm not sure what's going on. Logging into her Apple ID didn't give me any information on it.
Thanks a bunch!

ajguckian

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Hudson Valley
Reset the phone as new, and when setting up, skip the part that enters the apple ID for apps. When you get out of the setup, you can then enter different Apple ID's for different parts.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Reset the phone as new, and when setting up, skip the part that enters the apple ID for apps. When you get out of the setup, you can then enter different Apple ID's for different parts.

No need to reset it, you can change the Apple ID for various things anytime.

OP - go here: https://appleid.apple.com/

Tap/click "manage Apple ID." Then sign in with your girlfriend's Apple ID. See if the email you are trying to use is one of the alternate email addresses there. If not, try signing in with your ID, and see if it is under yours. If so, delete it from your ID.

Once you've done that, go to Settings > FaceTime. Make sure you sign in with your gf's Apple ID. If it's signed in to yours, tapping the "Apple ID" box brings up a pop-up menu where you can sign out (this is why you don't have to reset to change IDs) Sign in with your gf's Apple ID, and you should be able to add any other email addresses associated with that ID, or add other email addresses, which will then become associated with her ID. That "already in use" message means that the address is either an Apple ID or associated with one.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.