Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Do you feel there is need for a different build?
Don't we need something fresh? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358094394.931659.jpg

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Do you feel there is need for a different build?
Don't we need something fresh? View attachment 389999

Since the iPhone was released, I can honestly say the only thing that has really made me go "yeah, this is it, I want this!" is the e-ink back screen of the Yota phone.

I'm not too bothered with the design resembling that of the first iPhone, but I'd absolutely love to have that second e-ink display!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I would like something different ;)

The front of the iPhone is going to be a piece of glass, unless you have some radical idea for an iPhone Shuffle or something. So when talking about changes, that leaves the back of the phone.

Since we've started we've had a curved aluminum back, a curved plastic back, a flat glass back, and now a flat aluminum back.

Those seem like, I dunno, changes to me. But apparently you don't see it that way. So you're going to have to fill us in on exactly what you consider a change, since that series of alterations went un-noticed by you.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
The front of the iPhone is going to be a piece of glass, unless you have some radical idea for an iPhone Shuffle or something. So when talking about changes, that leaves the back of the phone.

Since we've started we've had a curved aluminum back, a curved plastic back, a flat glass back, and now a flat aluminum back.

Those seem like, I dunno, changes to me. But apparently you don't see it that way. So you're going to have to fill us in on exactly what you consider a change, since that series of alterations went un-noticed by you.

Don't be too incensed by my post, its just debate mate.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

There is a lot of room for change on the front. A lot of wasted space above and below the display. The physical home button is also in need of some innovation. It works and its an iOS device staple and its not going anywhere anytime soon. But I believe it's the weak link in both in form and function.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Lets try put another competitive perspective to the discussion, despite Samsung's perceived inferior material build has it not genuinely done better in coming up with fresher handset designs than the iPhone? eg the progression of the S2 to the S3....maybe?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Lets try put another competitive perspective to the discussion, despite Samsung's perceived inferior material build has it not genuinely done better in coming up with fresher handset designs than the iPhone? eg the progression of the S2 to the S3....maybe?

What do you think? If you're going to start a debate, then please fill us in on your perspective and thoughts as well.

galaxy-s2-plus.jpg

GALAXY_SIII_mini_Product_Image4.jpg

I don't think it's been that much of a fresher handset design change from the S2 to the S3. For sure, more than from the 3G to 3Gs or 4 to 4s. But it's not exactly radical. Neither are apple's design changes. They are slowly progressive.

I personally would like to see a little less wasted space on front. I don't really even care what the back looks like that much as long as the camera works. I still don't know what I would want from the home button area. I don't know what I would do to replace it or if I even want it to be replaced with anything.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Design taste is subjective. What you call a "progression," I call "throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks." And with Samsung so far, nothing has stuck.

And their biggest problem, IMO, is that their phones are movable billboards for the carrier and the network they're on. I can look at the screen and see that I'm on Verizon 4G LTE... don't need it plastered all over the place, front and back, thanks.

If they can get rid of all that, that's a good first step. The next would be using less cheap plastic, and something a little more bold. Say what you want about Apple's design, but it uses industrial design to speak for itself, and I like that. And even with that in mind, you can still look at an iPhone on a table or in someone's hand and just KNOW it's an iPhone, as opposed to some random Android device, the model of which you have no idea but you can sure as hell tell which carrier subsidized it.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Those who fear change will say no.

I don't fear change, but I have yet to see anything else that I like out there. I'm not against Apple taking a risk and doing a physical redesign, but I don't want something different just for the sake of it being different, and no other valid reason for it. Nor do I want it to feel cheap or uselessly flashy. Focus on the function, first.

But Apple will benefit greatly by innovating & creating a fresh new phone.

What would you consider fresh and new? I see a LOT of people saying "Apple needs to innovate!" and yet provide no insight as to what they would find innovate or new or fresh or creative.

By the way: you can't post a picture of a Samsung or other on-the-market device and say "I want that!" because it's already done. Copying what's already out there isn't innovating, nor is it being fresh or new. If you post a picture of X other device, then what you're basically saying is, you want that... in which case, you should just go and buy it.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
You guys are just terrible at posting the correct pictures. OP's post doesn't even have a 4S there, both of those are iPhone 4 models next to the 5. Also the person comparing the SII to the SIII posted an SIII mini instead of the normal model. :mad:

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
But Apple will benefit greatly by innovating & creating a fresh new phone.

Apple is the most successful company on the planet. I think they know what they are doing. These forums were drowning in threads saying that the mini would kill Apple and the mini is outselling the full size iPad 2 to 1. They should keep doing what they are doing because its working.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I am loving it guys, lets sweat it out and hear your opinions

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You guys are just terrible at posting the correct pictures. OP's post doesn't even have a 4S there, both of those are iPhone 4 models next to the 5. Also the person comparing the SII to the SIII posted an SIII mini instead of the normal model. :mad:

GALAXY_SIII_mini_Product_Image4.jpg

20120614T020754.jpg

Ok, my bad. Aside from the placement of the camera and front facing sensors. What's the difference in design here?

NewYork88

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2011
Wyoming
I had 2 GS3's , they are very cheaply built,honestly...... I prefer the GS2 appearance ,maybe because it looks like a iphone ?!

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Apple has to get rid of that huge waste of space top and bottom. Other than that, the only thing that needs a fresh design is the OS. And the size.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Apple has to get rid of that huge waste of space top and bottom. Other than that, the only thing that needs a fresh design is the OS. And the size.

The bezel was rather big on all the iPhones. On the 5 it is reduced at least compared to older iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.