Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:27 PM   #1
ShadowSKAR
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Hard Drive can't be mounted

After the trial of MacDrive ended, I uninstalled it but I think it somehow affected my partition.

It's no longer bootable. Going into disk utility from the recovery partition shows it can't be mounted. The options to verify/repair permissions is greyed out.

The disk can't be verified because "keys are out of order." It can't be repaired either. It gets to "rebuilding catalog B-trees" and tells me it can't be rebuilt.

I've tried single user mode but it seems to be stuck in my recovery partition. When I list the disks, there's like 7 different disk.

A friend suggested I try his DiskWarrior disk. After building a new directory, it can't replace the old directory due to "Mac OS services failure."

What other options do I have at this point to fix the disk? And if I don't, is there someway to get the data off? I did a block by block copy but now that disk has the same problems too.
ShadowSKAR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:29 AM   #2
ShadowSKAR
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
I threw in the towel on the original disk. Erased and reinstalled OS X. I was intending on using Data Rescue (which has saved me numerous times; highly recommended).

The backup disk was partially accessible with MacDrive under Windows. But after I started a recovery on the unmountable disk, it showed up in my finder. The previously unaccessible disk somehow got fixed with Data Rescue.

Any ideas and thoughts on what happened?
ShadowSKAR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:34 AM   #3
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSKAR View Post
I threw in the towel on the original disk. Erased and reinstalled OS X. I was intending on using Data Rescue (which has saved me numerous times; highly recommended).

The backup disk was partially accessible with MacDrive under Windows. But after I started a recovery on the unmountable disk, it showed up in my finder. The previously unaccessible disk somehow got fixed with Data Rescue.

Any ideas and thoughts on what happened?
Did you unmount and eject the disk before uninstalling, if not then I think that might have been the problem, windows was maybe busy with it while you uninstalled MacDrive.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:52 AM   #4
ShadowSKAR
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Did you unmount and eject the disk before uninstalling, if not then I think that might have been the problem, windows was maybe busy with it while you uninstalled MacDrive.
I'm pretty sure that's what happened. The disk was somehow in use when I uninstalled MacDrive.

But do you know why trying to recover data from it somehow made it accessible again when Disk Utility and DiskWarrior failed?
ShadowSKAR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:08 AM   #5
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSKAR View Post
I'm pretty sure that's what happened. The disk was somehow in use when I uninstalled MacDrive.

But do you know why trying to recover data from it somehow made it accessible again when Disk Utility and DiskWarrior failed?
No, I think this is odd, I until now never heard of a recovery program fixing a HD, some people say Diskwarrior recovers files, it does not, it repairs the directory and after this the files are accessible again, is this recovery, not in my dictionary.

Recovery scans the disk for files, this is all what they do, so it is indeed strange.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:10 PM   #6
ShadowSKAR
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
No, I think this is odd, I until now never heard of a recovery program fixing a HD, some people say Diskwarrior recovers files, it does not, it repairs the directory and after this the files are accessible again, is this recovery, not in my dictionary.

Recovery scans the disk for files, this is all what they do, so it is indeed strange.
I realized that's basically what DiskWarrior does after I tried it at the suggestion of a friend. But my directories weren't broken in any way as far as I was aware so naturally I didn't do a whole lot.

I'm thinking that somehow when it was scanning the disk for files, did it somehow fix the access to the disk? MacRescue has saved me numerous times when I accidentally deleted something, but this time... I don't even know what to say.
ShadowSKAR is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automount disk image when external drive attached and mounted Supp0rtLinux OS X 4 May 21, 2014 02:04 PM
Chronosync Reports Error if Drive Not Pre-Mounted dgbarar OS X Mavericks (10.9) 1 Mar 12, 2014 10:30 PM
Please post your external hard drive with Mavericks OS X that stays mounted PicnicTutorials Mac Peripherals 2 Jan 15, 2014 10:18 PM
Best NAS Accessable from Internet and can be mounted as a drive upon startup jbsmithmac MacBook Pro 6 Dec 14, 2012 10:50 PM
Changing the Password of Internal HD Mounted As An External Drive thenateo OS X 0 Sep 21, 2012 12:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC